Healthy Carrot Pumpkin Spelt Muffins

I know, that’s kind of a mouthful.

healthy-carrot-pumpkin-spelt-muffins1

I’m way behind on the pumpkin bandwagon this fall.  Maybe I’ve gotten my pumpkin cravings satisfied just by looking at delicious blog recipes over the last couple weeks.  It’s strange, because I love to bake with pumpkin and really do have a lot of recipes to share with you guys.  In particular, my favorite pumpkin pancakes, which are probably the fluffiest pancakes ever.  Bold statement, but I’m willing to risk it.

Therefore, I have a bunch of pumpkin cans stocked in my pantry for emergency baking sessions.  I actually just realized, while writing this, that I’ve been buying about a can a week ever since I saw it return to the grocery shelves.  Not intentionally, of course.

Since I usually resort to my staple pumpkin recipes during the fall, like pancakes, loaf bread, and pie, I really wanted to try something a little different.  I also really wanted to try baking with another new flour. Spelt seemed like a great place to start!  From my minimal research online, I learned the following fun facts about spelt.

It has more protein than regular whole wheat flour, has a slightly nuttier and sweeter taste, and is slightly easier to digest.  It does contain gluten, so it’s a great substitute for most baking recipes.

So I decided to pick some up at the Whole Foods bulk bin and get baking.  Of course, if you aren’t able to find it, you could always substitute in more whole wheat pastry flour.

This recipe was actually roughly inspired by a carrot cake recipe!  I decided that pumpkin and carrot would probably taste great together and luckily my predictions came true!  These disappeared incredibly quickly from my house and I think I only ate one of them in the end.

My dad doesn’t even like pumpkin and he raved about them.  I take that as a good sign.  Here ya go:

healthy-carrot-pumpkin-spelt-muffins2

healthy-carrot-pumpkin-spelt-muffins3

healthy-carrot-pumpkin-spelt-muffins4
healthy-carrot-pumpkin-spelt-muffins5
healthy-carrot-pumpkin-spelt-muffins6
healthy-carrot-pumpkin-spelt-muffins7
healthy-carrot-pumpkin-spelt-muffins8
healthy-carrot-pumpkin-spelt-muffins9

Healthy Carrot Pumpkin Spelt Muffins

Yield: 6 Large Muffins (10-12 Regular)

• 1/2 cup spelt flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 heaping teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • pinch of ground nutmeg, cloves & ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cup carrots, grated (about 4-5 carrots)
  • 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
  • 1/4 cup Zante currants or raisins
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 3 tablespoons canola oil
  • 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
  • 2 eggs

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.  Grease a large (or standard) muffin tin lightly with oil.  Set aside.
  2. Whisk together the flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger. In another bowl, stir together the carrots, Zante currants, and chopped walnuts.
  3. Using a mixer, combine the pureed pumpkin, canola oil, and sugar until smooth. Add the eggs one at a time, and continue to beat until smooth.
  4. Reduce speed and slowly add in flour mixture, mixing only until the dry ingredients disappear (whenever baking, you want to mix as little as possible).
  5. Gently stir in carrot, walnut, and currant mixture. Divide into lightly greased muffin tin.
  6. Bake at 375 degrees for 28-32 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Since I used a larger muffin tin, the cooking time took longer, so if you use a traditional muffin pan, the cooking time will probably be more like 22-25 minutes.

While I know everyone is partial to Libby’s, including myself, that wasn’t the first canned pumpkin I saw this season.  Therefore, I have had to make do with Farmer’s Marketorganic  pumpkin, organic pumpkin ‘a la Trader Joes, and 365 Whole Foods brand canned pumpkin.  I can vouch that the Farmer’s Market brand is significantly darker in color and less tasty than the Libby’s and 365 Whole Foods brand.  As for Trader Joe’s, I can’t vouch for that as of yet.  Though I’m guessing it’s not as good.

I used the 365 Whole Foods brand pumpkin for this recipe and was quite impressed!  It was also on sale for $1.29/can, which is the cheapest pumpkin I’ve ever seen on the shelves!

healthy-carrot-pumpkin-spelt-muffins10

These muffins were incredibly moist.  Most likely due to using both grated carrots, as well as pumpkin.

I know everyone hates that word, but there is no other way to describe them.  They are probably the moistest (sorry!) muffins I’ve ever had, period.  They taste equally as tasty the second day around.  In fact, I tend to think some baked goods taste better the second day because the flavors have had a chance to settle and become more pronounced.

healthy-carrot-pumpkin-spelt-muffins11

All in all, it was a baking-experiment success!  And I’m excited to add another pumpkin recipe to my arsenal.  Hope you enjoy them, as much as my family did!

31 Responses to “Healthy Carrot Pumpkin Spelt Muffins”

Laura — November 30, -0001 @ 12:00 am

Let me know how they turn out! Thanks for stopping by and saying hi ;)

xo Laura

Laura — November 30, -0001 @ 12:00 am

Thanks so much!

<3 Laura

Top 5 Must-Try Fall Recipes | — November 30, -0001 @ 12:00 am

[...] #3:  Carrot-Pumpkin Spelt Muffins [...]

Joslyn @ missfitbliss — October 25, 2010 @ 5:36 pm

Wow these look delicious. They remind a lot of a muffin I used to get all the time from Whole Foods called “Morning Glory”. Those things were out-of-control good.

I love the last shot and how there’s a dramatic spotlight on the muffin. I was expecting angels to be singing when I saw it:)

Laura — October 25, 2010 @ 6:00 pm

Oh really? I prefer that name :) I haven’t tried those before. Hehe, I laughed out loud at the singing angel comment. Thanks Joslyn!

<3 Laura

Teri [a foodie stays fit] — October 25, 2010 @ 6:00 pm

those look awesome! And I love that they have carrots in them for an extra dose of nutrition. I’m obsessed with spelt flour. I use it in everything!

Favorite way to eat pumpkin in the fall is pumpkin gingerbread or pumpkin cookies!

Sarah (Running to Slow Things — October 25, 2010 @ 10:56 pm

These look fabulous!! I love anything with pumpkin, and pumpkin muffins are one of my very favorite baked goods.

One of my goals is to begin using different flours as well, so I’m glad to see a recipe that uses spelt flour. Thanks for sharing! :D

Alex — October 25, 2010 @ 11:30 pm

These look really good! I was trying to come up with something that I could bake and pack for the rallies this weekend, and I think these would be perfect!

Laura — October 26, 2010 @ 4:08 am

Thanks for stopping by Sarah! I’ve been trying to experiment with more, the Whole Foods bulk bin makes that so much easier and more affordable, which I love. Quinoa flour is another one I’ve used quite a bit on the blog as well!

Laura — October 26, 2010 @ 4:32 am

Thanks! I love experimenting with different flours too. The Whole Foods bulk bin has made it really easy and affordable. I’ve also been using a lot of quinoa flour on other blog recipes too! Really yummy.

Thanks for visiting and saying hi!

Laura — October 26, 2010 @ 4:34 am

Thanks Teri! I NEED to make your pumpkin cookies, they sounded really good. I think I might become obsessed with spelt flour now too, haha.

Laura — October 26, 2010 @ 4:34 am

Oooh, let me know if you decide to make them. Be careful with the cooking time if you make regular sized muffins, it will be shorter :)

Irina — October 26, 2010 @ 9:09 am

Oh, these muffins look so moist and tasty! And I bet they are very healthy, considering the ingredients!

Thanks for visiting my blog, I’m happy to find yours, too! :-)

Caitlyn (A Spoonful of Life) — October 26, 2010 @ 9:38 am

I love pumpkin muffins, or just mixing it with greek yogurt! Divine!! Those muffins look very delicious.

Laura — October 26, 2010 @ 4:01 pm

Thanks so much Irina!

Laura — October 26, 2010 @ 4:02 pm

I love mixing pureed pumpkin with yogurt too, or even making a crustless pumpkin pie in ramekins is also delicious. Thanks for stopping by and saying hi!

<3 Laura

Al Fresco. | Daily Garnish — February 18, 2011 @ 9:53 pm

[...] were some of the most moist and flavorful muffins I’ve had to date.  (Here is her recipe!)  Thank you so much Laura!  I think you have a very successful career ahead of [...]

Leanne (For Health's Sake) — February 18, 2011 @ 10:12 pm

I can’t wait to try these! They look fantastic :)

Kiran — February 18, 2011 @ 10:32 pm

Love it! Hopped over from dailygarnish.com :)

megan @ blackberries for jam — February 19, 2011 @ 2:58 am

It’s never too late to jump on the pumpkin bandwagon in my opinion! In fact, this recipe comes just in time because I’ve grown a little tired of my usual pumpkin raisin muffin recipe. I’ve been meaning to try something new, and these will be perfect!

Laura — February 19, 2011 @ 4:05 pm

That muffin sounds great–maybe we’ll have to swap recipes. Thanks so much for stopping by and saying hi!

<3 Laura

Melinda — February 26, 2011 @ 3:42 am

Absolutely amazing muffins! I cannot believe how good something so healthy can taste. I am going to experiment with other nuts/dried fruits. Thanks so much!

<3,
    Melinda

Laura — March 1, 2011 @ 4:31 am

Thanks so much! I’m so glad you tried them. Let me know if you make another version :)

Melinda — March 2, 2011 @ 7:53 pm

Update: I changed out the oil for applesauce and the carrots for apple. I juiced the apples and used the pulp otherwise it would have been way too wet. They were good but a little too sweet for me (fuji apples). I think next time I will use a more tart apples or just less sugar.
    I think I will try this with pistachios and apples next!

Jake Brown — June 26, 2011 @ 9:16 pm

It looks like you spend a lot of effort and time on your blog. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new posts (SOON PLEASE!). Keep up the good work!

Laura — July 2, 2011 @ 2:23 am

Thanks Jake! Right now things are a bit difficult because I’m away on vacation and I’m moving in a week!! But I’m hoping to post more frequently as soon as I can! Thanks for visiting :)

Lacey — July 18, 2011 @ 4:51 am

there muffins turned out great- just a heads up though, your recipe didn’t list any measurement for baking powder (although it does mention it in the instructions) I used a little more than 1/2 tsp and it worked well. Also substituted 1/4 c of carrots with sweetened coconut, and baked 12 small muffins for 20 minutes. Cheers!

Laura — July 18, 2011 @ 9:04 pm

Woops! I actually did not use baking powder in the recipe, even though I know that was included in the directions–not sure how that happened. So glad it worked out! Thanks for correcting my mistake! :)

~Laura

redmtnmama — April 23, 2012 @ 5:44 pm

Made these muffins yesterday. I like the idea of combining spelt and whole wheat flour but I think the recipe needs more flour as the batter is quite wet. The flavour is good though so I may try the recipe adding another 3/4 cup of spelt flour!

Traci — April 8, 2013 @ 7:56 pm

Just made these – and they are delicious! Substituted coconut oil for canola oil and coconut sugar for regular sugar with not difficulties. I did not find the batter too wet, but that was probably because I accidently doubled the flours (grabbed the 1c. measure) so had to add another batch of ingredients all together at the end. OOOPS!! It still worked and my family are loving them

Salvegging @ salvegging.blogspot.com — October 17, 2013 @ 10:51 pm

These were quite nice. And great with a deserved slick of honey-butter as they are quite possibly the healthiest muffin I’ve made as of late. I’ve been putting 1/2 sticks of (grass-fed!) butter into things. But I guess the carrots, egg, pumpkin and bit of (I used oilve) oil take care of that here. I halved it, which made 5 regular sized muffs, and used homemade quash puree (which is a bit thicker than store), big raisins and a handful sunflower/pepita seeds both in and atop the batter, as I lacked walnuts. Just split one w/ bf as an evening treat and wrapping up the rest for breakfasts. Happy baking all.