No-Guilt Blueberry Almond Muffins

A couple weekends ago, Connor and I went to visit his grandfather on his 100-acre farm just outside Buffalo, New York.  It was a relaxing weekend full of swimming, reading, champagne cocktails, and just enjoying the outdoors—something which I haven’t done a lot of recently due to the crazy heat wave we’ve been having here on the East Coast.

bird

One of the most memorable parts, I must say, was devouring delicious, fresh, plump, warm-from-the-sun blueberries straight from the garden.  Even though I’ve had my share of blueberries over the summer, none of them have even come close in comparison.  Pure deliciousness!

blueberries

In fact, I think I’ve been thinking of them ever since.  So much so, in fact, that they were in the inspiration for my latest baking creation…

blueberry_muffin

However, I wasn’t looking to create just any old blueberry muffin.  I was ultimately hoping for one that wasn’t overly indulgent or sweet.  Therefore, I looked to the internet for a little inspiration, substituted a bunch of ingredients, whipped up a batch, stuck them in the oven, and gave a little prayer.  This was the end result:

no guilt blueberry muffins

No-Guilt Blueberry Almond Muffins

Yield: 9 Muffins

• ¾ cup whole wheat flour
  • ¾ cup all-purpose unbleached flour
  • ¼ tsp baking soda
  • 1 ½ tsp baking powder
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 1 egg, room temp
  • ¾ cup non-fat greek yogurt
  • 1/8 cup unsweetened apple sauce
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • ½ cup granulated sugar
  • zest of one lemon
  • ¾ cup fresh blueberries
  • sliced almonds

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Grease muffin pan.Using mixer, beat together apple sauce, butter, and sugar until light and fluffy. Proceed to mix in egg, yogurt, and zest one at a time until mixed thoroughly.
  3. In separate bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
  4. Using spatula, fold in half of the flour mixture until comes together. Add in additional half and gently fold into batter. Batter will be very thick and dough-like.
  5. Add in fresh blueberries, gently folding in with spatula, being careful not to break the berries.
  6. Using spoon, fill muffin pan about 7/8 full. Sprinkle sliced almonds onto each muffin.
  7. Bake for 10-12 minutes (gas) or until golden brown and toothpick inserted comes clean. Cool on rack. Serve warm with butter.

Inspired by Smitten Kitchen.

*Nutritional Stats* ~170 calories & 5 grams protein/muffin

no guilt blueberry muffins

These muffins were exactly what I was hoping for and more—not too sweet, hearty from the whole wheat flour, juicy from the fresh blueberries, all with the added bonus of the slight crunch of almonds on top.  The recipe also comes together incredibly quickly!  Although these muffins are best the day of, they will last for days and are particularly good when served warm.

Now if only I could figure out how to grow some of those home-grown blueberries on my apartment balcony

15 Responses to “No-Guilt Blueberry Almond Muffins”

Toby — August 4, 2011 @ 9:45 am

HOLY FLUFFY BALLS OF MUFFIN BATMAN, these look A.Mazing!

#nom

Toby. x

Laura {gourmettenyc} — August 4, 2011 @ 12:08 pm

What beautiful photos! I’m particularly impressed by the first one of the bird. And, the muffins look delicious. There’s nothing like fresh blueberries!

Kelly — August 4, 2011 @ 12:35 pm

These look fantastic! If only I had one of these this morning :) Love your blog and definitely a new follower! xoxo

Sasha @ The Procrastobaker — August 4, 2011 @ 1:30 pm

I dont even care that these are guilt free (obviously a HUGE plus though!) because these just look so so gorgeous and just perfect that i would eat my weights worth in them whatever :) Elated to have found your blog, its so refreshing and really lovely, definitely a new regular visitor here :)

Vanessa — August 4, 2011 @ 3:00 pm

Yum. I love blueberry muffins! These look delish! Cool picture of that bird!! I love spending time outdoors. It’s so refreshing. Jealous of all those blueberries! :-)

Russell at Chasing Delicious — August 4, 2011 @ 3:28 pm

I love the combination of blueberry and almond. These muffins look scrumptious. Gorgeous photos too!

Laura — August 4, 2011 @ 11:00 pm

This comment made me laugh outloud. Haha. Thanks Toby!

Laura — August 4, 2011 @ 11:01 pm

Thank you! His grandfather has a ton of bird houses and actually gets Purple Martin birds banded to look at migratory patterns. They did that on his farm that last day I was there, so that’s why I was able to get so close. Pretty amazing, huh?

Laura — August 4, 2011 @ 11:02 pm

Thanks Kelly! I really appreciate it–love when new readers or people stopping by for the first time give a shout out. Especially because it makes me discover other great blogs, like yours! :)

Laura — August 4, 2011 @ 11:03 pm

Haha–I’m not sure I do either, but its catchy and makes you feel a bit more justified when you eat 3 in one day. Your comment put a smile on my face and made my day, thank YOU! Especially since you’re quite the baker yourself ;)

Laura — August 4, 2011 @ 11:05 pm

Thank you! It was so nice to be somewhere where the temperature actually dipped to the 60’s at night. DC has been a sauna all summer basically! I’m sure NC is even worse :/

I wish I could eat more of those blueberries straight from the source!

Laura — August 4, 2011 @ 11:07 pm

Thanks Russell! Your photos are great, so that means a lot. And I’m so happy to have discovered your great blog! I’m eyeing your basil mint cake–so unique and delicious sounding.

Susana — August 25, 2011 @ 3:13 pm

I made these muffins this morning. I used whole wheat pastry flour instead of halving all-purpose and whole wheat. They came out fabulously. I found that even though I baked them in a gas oven, they needed a full 22 minutes to cook.

Thanks!

Laura — August 25, 2011 @ 5:48 pm

I’m so glad! That is so bizarre–my oven only took 10 minutes. Maybe I have a very small muffin pan. I was very surprised by this…but I haven’t found many muffins that take more than 15 minutes…

So glad you enjoyed them! Thanks for providing feedback–this is always helpful for other people and I love hearing that people have tried recipes from the blog :)

Hallie — March 3, 2012 @ 8:01 pm