Parmesan Thyme Buttermilk Biscuits

Parmesan Thyme Buttermilk Biscuits (Blogging Over Thyme)

These parmesan thyme buttermilk biscuits were a labor of love. About four and half hours of labor to be exact. I’ve gone through a quart of buttermilk, more butter than I’d like to admit, washed three loads of dishes, and cleaned out flour from almost every crevice in my kitchen.

Parmesan Thyme Buttermilk Biscuits (Blogging Over Thyme)

To be fair, they all tasted pretty good. In fact, Connor inhaled the very first batch within minutes of taking them out of the oven. By the fourth trial and me calling for him to come taste-test them from the other room once again (which generally involves me staring him down and interrogating him–”seriously though, do you really like them?”), his enthusiasm was waning.

It wasn’t until the fourth batch that I finally achieved the flavor, texture, and that perfect height that defines a classic buttermilk biscuit. Even though we were both pretty sick of biscuits at this point–the smell of parmesan was enough to draw me in.

Parmesan Thyme Buttermilk Biscuits (Blogging Over Thyme)

Though I’ve shared a biscuit recipe on the blog once before, these are quite different–and definitely a bit more decadent. Though I’m no Southerner–um, not even close–I am true believer in the magic of White Lily flour.

Similar to cake flour, it is made with soft winter red-wheat and boasts a much lower-gluten content that regular, all-purpose flours. Low-gluten equals tender, light biscuits.

Parmesan Thyme Buttermilk Biscuits (Blogging Over Thyme)

Despite being a bit difficult to find, I was finally able to snag a bag during a visit to a nearby grocery store and it has been sitting in my pantry for months, reserved only for biscuit making–which until this past weekend, I’ve completely forgotten to partake in.

Parmesan Thyme Buttermilk Biscuits (Blogging Over Thyme)

Guess what? That’s not cheese. It’s butter!!! Instead of using a pastry cutter to incorporate the butter into the dry ingredients, I decided to grate it-after first learning this method from Adrianna and a few others.

It’s a heck of a lot easier and simply requires sticking the butter in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes until it is almost frozen completely.

Parmesan Thyme Buttermilk Biscuits (Blogging Over Thyme)

Before settling on the right recipe and flavor profile, I ended up making a plain batch, another with some fresh thyme, and just to try something totally different, biscuits that were slightly sweetened with honey and ground cardamom. I was tempted to go with something really different, but…

Turns out, when it comes to biscuits, I’m a bit of a traditionalist and I didn’t want to veer too far off the well-worn path. The addition of parmesan cheese, fresh thyme, and a touch of black pepper ended up being the perfect middle ground for me. Just different enough to make them special and bit unique, but still worthy of being called a classic buttermilk biscuit.

Parmesan Thyme Buttermilk Biscuits (Blogging Over Thyme)

These biscuits would make a perfect side to a big bowl of soup or simply topped with a runny egg and served at breakfast—> that last option is currently under way…

Parmesan Thyme Buttermilk Biscuits (Blogging Over Thyme)

Parmesan Thyme Buttermilk Biscuits

Yield: 8 Large Biscuits

• 2 cups self-rising flour (White Lily) + more for dusting
  • ¼ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
  • 1 ½ teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
  • fresh pepper (4-5 grinds)
  • 4 tablespoons (half stick) unsalted butter, grated
  • ¾ cup + 1 tablespoon low-fat buttermilk, cold (shake container before pouring)

1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat.
  2. Place butter in freezer for at least 10-15 minutes, until almost frozen completely.
  3. Whisk together flour, parmesan, thyme, salt, pepper and baking powder in a large, shallow-rimmed baking bowl.
  4. Using large grater, grate butter directly into bowl with dry ingredients. Toss lightly with fingers until all the butter is coated and evenly incorporated into the flour. Place in freezer for another five minutes.
  5. Meanwhile, dust your kitchen countertop lightly with flour and set aside a small bowl with flour, where you grab any additional flour as needed and lightly dust the edges of the biscuit cutter as you work.
  6. Remove flour and butter mixture from freezer and create a large well in the center with your fingers. Add the buttermilk and using a wooden spoon or fork, mix gently until the dry ingredients are moistened.
  7. Using your fingers, remove dough (it should be wet and shaggy) onto the floured countertop. Dust your hands with flour and knead the dough gently several times until it comes together and is relatively smooth.
  8. Using your fingertips, pat the dough into a ¾ inch thick circle. Using a lightly floured cutter, cut dough into biscuits using a 2-inch biscuit cutter (do not twist the cutter or it will seal the edges of the dough and prevent the biscuits from rising properly). Place biscuits on baking sheet—you can set them about an inch or two apart if you prefer crunchier edges or touching each other, if you prefer softer edged biscuits.
  9. Knead any remaining dough and repeat procedure until you have eight two-inch biscuits.
  10. Bake at 500 degrees (center-rack) for 8-10 minutes or until lightly golden. Serve immediately!

Parmesan Thyme Buttermilk Biscuits (Blogging Over Thyme)

26 Responses to “Parmesan Thyme Buttermilk Biscuits”

Pippa@popovertopippas — April 22, 2013 @ 9:31 am

Wow, you really stacked up those biscuits!!! They look great. I’m surprised by how high a temperature you used for baking the biscuits. Did you also try baking them at 425 or 450? There is also relatively little baking powder. Is there a reason for that? Either way, I need to find White Lily and then bake these!

• Laura replied: — April 22nd, 2013 @ 10:01 am

Thanks! I tried 425 and 450, but had more success with the higher temperature. I also decided to try it after seeing that White Lily’s recipe had them at 500 degrees. The White Lily flour is self-rising, which means it already has baking powder and soda in it–but after doing some trials, I had to add a little bit more baking powder on top of that to get the proper rise.

David — April 22, 2013 @ 12:31 pm

I am not a huge fan of biscuits, but these sound irresistable…and they look delicious.

• Laura replied: — April 23rd, 2013 @ 12:03 am

Oooh, I’ll take that as a compliment, haha. Thanks David! :)

Anne @The Cooking Campaign — April 22, 2013 @ 1:43 pm

I LOVE thyme! It adds such an interesting and wonderful flavor to food. I can’t wait to try these!

• Laura replied: — April 23rd, 2013 @ 12:05 am

I do too! It smells SO good, reminds me of stuffing and comfort food. So glad you like these! Definitely let me know if you try them.

Mr. & Mrs. P — April 22, 2013 @ 2:03 pm

They look fully, moist and beautiful!!! We love the talavera bowl you had the flour in!!

• Laura replied: — April 23rd, 2013 @ 12:07 am

Thank YOU! I am obsessed with that bowl–I splurged and bought it in Italy. I also bought a cake stand, which I am equally as infatuated with!

• Mr. & Mrs. P replied: — April 23rd, 2013 @ 10:14 am

Really Italy!!! We could have sworn it was Mexican Talavera.. Anyways… Still beautiful!!! =)

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — April 22, 2013 @ 5:35 pm

I love that big, tall pile of biscuits! These look fabulous, Laura!

• Laura replied: — April 23rd, 2013 @ 12:07 am

Thanks Georgia!! I had a lot of fun stacking those up–and luckily, they didn’t all crash down in the process of photographing them. It’s like biscuit jenga or something, haha.

PapaLos @ The Man, The Chef, The Dad — April 22, 2013 @ 11:57 pm

These biscuits sound amazing! I just tried making biscuits for the first time a couple of months ago and I think I had beginners luck because they came out pretty freaking good. The few times after that – not so much.

I’d love to try these though. Thyme is my favorite herb and I am an absolute sucker for parmesan. Like, put enough on wood and I’d prbably take a bite. These biscuits are just screaming for me to make them!

I’m going to have to suck it up and buy some White Lily flour though. I keep hearing all these good things about it and I can’t take it anymore.

Thanks for sharing!!

PapaLos @ The Man, The Chef, The Dad — April 23, 2013 @ 12:01 am

Oh and I LOVE the pictures!

Tracy | Peanut Butter and Onion — April 23, 2013 @ 1:41 pm

Mmmmm parm and thyme…. ps, great pictures

Your biscuits sound perfect! I like to switch things up when I bake too, but I agree that sometimes simple is better and classic flavors seem the most appealing. I love the added touch of parmesan though. :) I also LOVE that first photo with the biscuits stacked up like your own version of the Leaning Tower of Pisa haha

Justine@cookingandbeer — April 24, 2013 @ 2:18 pm

Oh yum! I love the additions of parmesan and thyme! I also love your biscuit tower =). Looks and sounds delicious!

Tiffany @thyme of taste — April 24, 2013 @ 3:15 pm

Nice biscuits! They are so fluffy and look amazing! Funny, I too grate my butter before incorporating it, I use this technique in my pie crusts too…works wonders! Cheers~

Renee — April 24, 2013 @ 4:38 pm

I’m always on the look out for an honestly decadent yet light biscuit recipe – it sounds like you’ve nailed it! Never thought of using White Lily flour! Definitely going to be trying these with some of my mother’s sausage gravy recipe.

honeywhatscooking — April 24, 2013 @ 11:42 pm

Love parmesan buttermilk biscuits, savory flavors.

Madonna/aka/Ms. Lemon — April 25, 2013 @ 5:21 am

I make these, but I use rosemary instead of thyme. We have grown people fight over them. We don’t call them biscuits, but rosemary scones. I would love to have some White Lily flour. Yours look absolutely delicious and your photos are wonderful.

Natasha — April 26, 2013 @ 9:50 pm

Thank God I do not have any thyme at home otherwise I would run to bake even though I am n bed already. They look amazing!

Nora @ Buttercream Fanatic — April 30, 2013 @ 11:28 pm

I’ve always been really inexplicably intimidated by biscuits, but these look incredible – and totally manageable. And I LOVE thyme! What a great way to dress up a humble biscuit!

Tasha — June 10, 2014 @ 11:55 am

Father’s Day brunch. So glad Pinterest brought me back to this recipe. MMMMM!!

1. Pingback: 15 Recipes for Amazing Sweet and Salted Biscuits