Blackberry Corn Muffins

Blackberry Corn Muffins >> Blogging Over Thyme

Technically, I was supposed to tell you about these muffins yesterday.  But it just ended up being one of those days–and instead of being productive, all I really wanted to do was sit in front of the TV (current favorites: old episodes of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives and, my guilty pleasure, Real Housewives of OC or New Jersey, both are equally entertaining) and stare blankly at a screen.

Preferably not a computer screen.  It happens.  Hopefully these blackberry corn muffins will make up for it?

Blackberry Corn Muffins >> Blogging Over Thyme

These muffins were a product of a craving for cornbread (again, these things happen) and tons of leftover blackberries from the farmers market (seemingly impossible considering my love for fresh berries in the summertime, but slightly more possible when you buy an entire flat for only two people–myself and Connor).

Oh yes, and my low tolerance for baking in the summertime.  Can’t forget that one.

Blackberry Corn Muffins >> Blogging Over Thyme

Muffins are a lazy baker’s best friend.  In other words, I love them.

Don’t get me wrong, I totally daydream about spending an entire day in the kitchen making elaborate and decadent layer cakes just like the next person (do you do that too?!).  Layer cakes are romantic.  Muffins are…practical.

And unfortunately, as my recipe page attests, I tend to err on the side of practicality.

Blackberry Corn Muffins >> Blogging Over Thyme

However, practicality has its perks.  As in, you can pretty much make this whole recipe, start to finish, in about 30 minutes or so.

Instead of just making a regular old cornbread muffin, I decided to change things up just a bit…

Blackberry Corn Muffins >> Blogging Over Thyme

Here’s where I have a little bit of a confession.  I actually initially made this recipe using coconut milk as the liquid.  The idea sounded pretty delicious (in my head)–cornbread with a hint of coconut goodness, fresh lime zest, and lastly, topped with tart, juicy blackberries.

Unfortunately, this genius plan didn’t pan out nearly as well in reality and I could barely taste any coconut whatsoever in the final baked good.  Good news?  They still tasted really good and work perfectly with traditional buttermilk.

Be sure to gobble a few up while they are warm out of the oven!  You can even add a small pat of butter to make them extra decadent.  Enjoy!

Blackberry Corn Muffins >> Blogging Over Thyme

3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 large egg, room temperature
1 large egg yolk, room temperature
~1 cup fresh blackberries, sliced lengthwise
turbinado sugar, for sprinkling

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a standard muffin pan or use paper muffin cups.
  2. In large bowl, add the granulated sugar and lime zest. Using your fingers, gently rub the lime zest into the sugar until fragrant.
  3. Add the all-purpose flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to same bowl and whisk together until consistent.
  4. In separate small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, whole egg and yolk, melted butter, and oil.
  5. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry and gently, but quickly fold together using a rubber spatula. Do not over mix, batter should be slightly lumpy.
  6. Divide evenly among the muffin cups and gently top (cut side up) with the batter with fresh blackberry halves and sprinkle generously with turbinado sugar.
  7. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes clean. Transfer pan to cooling rack for five minutes, before removing each muffin.
  8. Best eaten slightly warm the day they are made.

Adapted from Dorie Greenspan's Baking: From My Home to Yours Corniest Corn Muffins.

Blackberry Corn Muffins >> Blogging Over Thyme

20 Responses to “Blackberry Corn Muffins”

Vanessa — July 23, 2013 @ 8:54 am

YUM! Those look really good! Love blackberries!! And Real Housewives of NJ is my ultimate guilty pleasure :-)

• Laura replied: — July 23rd, 2013 @ 10:16 pm

I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one–this past episode killed me! I hate having to wait another week to watch more drama unfold, haha. Hope you are well!

• Vanessa replied: — July 24th, 2013 @ 8:22 am

Omg I know!! Next week’s episode should be a good one too! I’ve been good.. Busy with work.. Hence me never blogging anymore.. I need a new job, ha! Hope you are well too!

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — July 23, 2013 @ 9:29 am

Love those practical baking recipes — especially when it means I can have these muffins in a half hour. Yum! :)

• Laura replied: — July 23rd, 2013 @ 10:15 pm

Thanks friend! Speaking of practical baking recipes, I need to make those hotdog buns of yours.

Debra — July 23, 2013 @ 9:43 am

Muffins are the lazy bakers friend! How true. I would have never but these two together but it looks delicious!

• Laura replied: — July 23rd, 2013 @ 10:15 pm

Thank you Debra! Glad you enjoy the sound of these, definitely let me know if you try them.

Nora @ Buttercream Fanatic — July 23, 2013 @ 10:41 am

The combination of savory cornbread and tart-sweet berries is always great. And these are beautiful too!

pippa@popovertopippas — July 23, 2013 @ 11:02 am

mmm, please send me a muffin!

• Laura replied: — July 23rd, 2013 @ 10:14 pm

Thanks Pippa! Perhaps I’ll make some baked goods when you come visit in a few weeks.

steph@stephsbitebybite — July 23, 2013 @ 11:32 am

YUM! I love corn muffins but stuffed with blackberries, YES!!

• Laura replied: — July 23rd, 2013 @ 10:14 pm

Yay!! Thanks! I need to stuff more things with fresh berries, haha :)

Rhonda — July 23, 2013 @ 3:01 pm

You are singing my song about being a lazy baker especially when it’s hot out! Muffins are a perfect solution, can eat them and dream about that gorgeous layer cake that I’ll make someday soonish…

• Laura replied: — July 23rd, 2013 @ 10:12 pm

Totally agree, Rhonda! Thanks for visiting! :)

what katie's baking — July 23, 2013 @ 8:37 pm

i love sweet and salty combinations. and i love corn muffins! these look so delicious.

• Laura replied: — July 23rd, 2013 @ 10:13 pm

Thanks Katie! These aren’t savory, nor really sweet either–just in the middle, which I love.

Sarah | The Sugar Hit — July 24, 2013 @ 2:16 am

I think these would be perfect even without the coconut – just plain buttermilk sounds awesome to me. That could be because I’m crazy for corn muffins with berries in them though. Warm from the oven and slathered with butter please!

Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie — July 24, 2013 @ 9:04 am

Sometimes you just need a day off – these little gems are definitely worth the wait! Beautiful :)

Rayna — July 24, 2013 @ 9:54 am

These are so pretty! Such an easy summer muffin. Thanks for sharing!

Tieghan — July 26, 2013 @ 12:53 am

Oh I love these!! I just made roasted blueberry and brie cornbread muffins and fell in love with fruit and cornbread. I love these muffins!