Tomato Zucchini Tart

Tomato Zucchini Tart | Blogging Over Thyme

This past weekend, I had a plan.  And that plan involved making this fancy tomato zucchini tart.  I promise, it’s not nearly as fancy as it looks–it is actually pretty straight-forward.

In other words, it’s deceptively fancy-looking.  And that is my absolute favorite type of food.

Tomato Zucchini Tart | Blogging Over Thyme

I made this dish for the first time in culinary school nearly a year and a half ago (how could it have possibly been that long ago?!).  Despite making a zillion other dishes during those six months of my life, this dish continues to be one of my absolute favorites.

Since that time, I’ve been meaning to recreate it and share a version on the blog, but somehow along the way, I got distracted and forgot all about it.  Life does that sometimes.

Tomato Zucchini Tart | Blogging Over Thyme

Fortunately, this past Saturday morning, I happened to come across this post and within hours, was walking out the door and heading to the store to grab all of the ingredients.

In all honesty, the most time consuming part of this dish is preparing and blind-baking the crust–a basic pate brisee dough–which you can make by hand or quickly in your food processor.

Tomato Zucchini Tart | Blogging Over Thyme

Other than that, it is a very simple dish to put together, because all the filling ingredients are raw.  Once you have sliced the zucchini and tomatoes, it’s simply a matter of alternating the layers in circles…

Start on the outer edges and work your way around.  To make the layering process a bit easier, try to buy zucchini and tomatoes with a similar size diameter.  Remember not to take yourself too seriously (I got a little OCD) and have fun!

Tomato Zucchini Tart | Blogging Over Thyme

Brush with oil, sprinkle with sea salt and pepper, throw it in the oven, set a timer, and allow it to do its thing.

if you’re impatient like me, feel free to flip on the oven light and stare at it a few times in anticipation.

Tomato Zucchini Tart | Blogging Over Thyme

I really do love this tomato zucchini tart for so many reasons.  Not only is it incredibly delicate and light, but it really is all about the filling–fresh zucchini, ripe plum tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic, olive oil, and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

It truly is summer on a plate.  Enjoy!

Tomato Zucchini Tart

Yield: 1 (10-inch) Tart

Pate Brisee Dough:

• 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), cold & cut into very small cubes
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/8-1/4 cup ice water (2-4 tablespoons roughly)

Filling:

• 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup packed basil leaves, finely chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, finely minced (1 tablespoon)
  • 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
  • ~1 lb fresh Roma or plum tomatoes
  • ~1 lb fresh zucchini
  • salt
  • pepper

Prepare & Blind-Bake Crust:

1. Combine flour and salt in bowl of a food processor. Meanwhile, cut up cold butter into cubes and place in separate bowl. Place both bowls in freezer for 10-15 minutes to chill.
  2. Remove butter and flour mixture from freezer. Add chilled butter to food processor bowl--and pulse several times or until the butter is roughly the size of peas and distributed evenly throughout the flour mixture.
  3. Add 2 tablespoons of ice water and pulse several times. Continue to add water (and pulsing a few times) until dough just comes together. Depending on moisture and humidity levels, the amount of water that you may need will change.
  4. Remove dough to counter top and press together with hands.
  5. Allow to chill in fridge for at least one-two hours (or prepare the day before and chill overnight).
  6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
  7. After dough has chilled, remove the dough from fridge. Lightly flour a work surface and rolling pin--and roll out evenly into a large, roughly 12-13” diameter disc—rotating the dough continuously as you go to prevent sticking. Fold into quarters and transfer to a 10-inch tart pan (with removable bottom). Carefully press dough into sides and corners (without stretching) and roll the rolling pin over top to remove any excess dough. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to chill for another 15-20 minutes in the fridge.
  8. Remove and line tart dough with foil or parchment paper and fill with pie weights or dried beans.
  9. Blind-bake for 20 minutes. Remove beans and parchment and if bottom still does not look completely dry, bake for an addition 5-10 minutes, checking regularly. Remove and allow to cool on rack.

Prepare & Arrange Filling:

1. Meanwhile, combine the minced garlic, finely chopped basil, and olive oil in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Using a mandolin (or sharp knife), slice zucchini into 1/8 inch slices. Using serrated knife, slice tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices. Set aside.
  2. Brush tart shell lightly with basil-garlic oil and sprinkle on all of the parmesan cheese.
  3. Starting on the outside edge, layer the zucchini and tomato slices alternately in a circular pattern--be sure to tightly layer them against each other (as they will shrink once baked). Try to leave the bigger slices for the outside and small slices for the inner circles. Continue until the entire tart shell is filled (you should have two rings--and you can chop up various small pieces to fill the very center).
  4. Brush vegetables generously with with basil-garlic oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake at 400 degrees for 30-45 minutes, or until the tomatoes and zucchini are soft and lightly caramelized. Optional (but recommended): Place under the broil for 2-3 minutes to finish! Watch carefully during this step to avoid burning the crust.
  5. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Try to buy tomatoes and zucchinis that are similar in diameter--as it will make the layering process much easier and result in a more attractive looking dish.

Tomato Zucchini Tart | Blogging Over Thyme

42 Responses to “Tomato Zucchini Tart”

Tieghan — August 20, 2013 @ 8:25 am

Stunning! So pretty! I am in awe over here. Wow! I love this and am so excited about trying to hopefully make is soon! It is just so pretty and I bet so delicious! YUM!

• Laura replied: — August 20th, 2013 @ 11:40 pm

So excited that you’re excited :) Yay–let me know if you try it!

Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie — August 20, 2013 @ 9:21 am

So gorgeous! Really, almost too beautiful to eat! :)

• Laura replied: — August 20th, 2013 @ 11:41 pm

Almost….but not quite! :)

ATasteOfMadness — August 20, 2013 @ 11:59 am

Wow, this is one of the most beautiful tarts I have ever seen! It almost looks too good to eat ;)

• Laura replied: — August 20th, 2013 @ 11:42 pm

Thank you Cathleen!! And thanks for stopping by!

Nora @ Buttercream Fanatic — August 20, 2013 @ 12:09 pm

This tart looks like a work of art! I’m sure it tastes equally wonderful.

• Laura replied: — August 20th, 2013 @ 11:42 pm

Thanks so much Nora!

Alexandra @ Confessions of a Bright-Eyed Baker — August 20, 2013 @ 3:14 pm

This is gorgeous! I love the fresh veggies, the simplicity, and the presentation. I would probably get a little OCD with the vegetable-arranging too, but it’s all good. :)

• Laura replied: — August 20th, 2013 @ 11:43 pm

Thanks Alexandra! Haha–my OCD definitely came out with the arranging, but once you get the hang of it, it goes pretty quickly. Plus, it’s definitely the fun part. I love having an excuse to make fancy food ;)

Cate @ Chez CateyLou — August 20, 2013 @ 4:34 pm

This is so gorgeous!! So fancy looking, so you definitely had me fooled :). I can’t wait to try it out!!

• Laura replied: — August 20th, 2013 @ 11:45 pm

That’s always nice to hear! :) It’s definitely fancy, but not too complicated. Just requires a bit of patience. Thanks for visiting Cate!

Tasha — August 20, 2013 @ 9:05 pm

Your tart looks beautiful! It has been a real treat to eat this twice already this summer. It’s so simple and so delicious.

PS: Have I mentioned how very happy I am to see you posting more frequently? Love it!!

Tanvi — August 21, 2013 @ 2:23 am

Made this at home! Tastes like a burst of summer right in the middle of the gloomy Bombay monsoon… Brilliant recipe :)

• Laura replied: — August 21st, 2013 @ 10:34 am

Wow! I think that is the fastest turnaround from when I’ve posted a recipe to when I’ve heard that someone made it. So happy to hear that Tanvi! :)

• Tanvi replied: — August 21st, 2013 @ 11:44 am

Haha, I had tomatoes and zucchini lying in the fridge so this recipe was God-sent. Looking forward to more awesome ones. Cheers!

All that Glisters is not Gold — August 21, 2013 @ 5:17 am

Wow, That looks so amazing, I could not take a knife to that tart! I would never find the patience to arrange the tomato and zucchini like that, it looks and sounds so good though. I have such a garden glut of zucchinis at the moment and with the weather we’ve been getting they’re turning into marrows!
    I think your blog looks beautiful and I love your banner!

Elizabeth M-B — August 21, 2013 @ 11:16 pm

I totally want to make this but I’m balking at making the dough (student schedule/scared of all that butter). Any pre-made doughs you’d recommend?

After following your blog and others like it for so long, I finally decided to start my own this week, http://adventurefaceliz.wordpress.com. I’d really appreciate if you checked it out!

• Laura replied: — August 23rd, 2013 @ 12:27 am

Haha! Totally understand your predicament. You could definitely buy a store bought pie crust, but homemade is definitely recommended, especially with this specific tart. I’ve heard OK things about Trader Joe’s frozen pie doughs?

Congrats on starting your blog! Can’t wait to check it out.

Jillian@TheHumbleGourmet — August 22, 2013 @ 2:12 pm

I am drooling over here. What a beautiful dish! I feel like it would work really well at a dinner party…with the in-laws…who you really want to impress. Gorgeous!

• Laura replied: — August 23rd, 2013 @ 12:28 am

Thanks Jillian! Brilliant idea–yes, this tart is definitely worthy of a meet with the in laws, haha.

• Laura replied: — August 25th, 2013 @ 10:10 pm

Yes! Definitely a good idea, Jillian. Thanks for visiting!

Rochelle Hutchinson — August 23, 2013 @ 4:18 am

This is gorgeous. Reminds me of the dish in ratatouille, the film that was made for the food critic

• Laura replied: — August 25th, 2013 @ 10:07 pm

Oh my goodness! I totally thought this as well, but I thought it was going to sound crazy to write in the post, so I refrained :) Thanks Rochelle!

pippa@popovertopippas — August 23, 2013 @ 10:10 am

Beautiful tart Laura!

Ashley — September 16, 2013 @ 6:31 pm

This is beeeeautiful! I have a tart pan that I haven’t used yet, and this would be the perfect way to break it in!! Wow!

• Laura replied: — September 17th, 2013 @ 9:33 am

Thanks so much Ashley! Let me know if you try it :)

Masha — December 7, 2013 @ 9:41 pm

Hi! I made it . It came out sooooo beautiful and delicious ! Thank you so much for the great idea! I had two small issues: the edges of the crust burnt before I even put the filling while the button of the tart was a little mushy. I’m sure I can work it out somehow because this recipe is definitely a keeper!

• Laura replied: — December 7th, 2013 @ 10:31 pm

Oh I’m so glad!! And thank you for commenting–ok, so I’m wondering whether maybe your oven runs a little hot? The best way to check this is with a oven thermometer. It would explain why the edges would burn, because I’ve never had that issue with this tart any time I’ve made it before. It would most likely result in a crust that is too brown, and a bottom crust which isn’t cooked all the way through. Or, the bottom could be mushy if the tomatoes had too much juice. In that case, roma/plum tomatoes are a better choice. Let me know if this helps!

• Masha replied: — December 8th, 2013 @ 9:19 pm

Thank you for the suggestion. Ill check the oven. Even though it’s pretty new fancy shmancy converctional top of the line oven. Even Michael Jordan misses a shot here and there :) I used plum tomatoes so don’t think that’s the issue. I think I screwed up the dough. I’definately try again and let you know. Thank you!

• Laura replied: — December 8th, 2013 @ 10:20 pm

Ooh! I’m so glad that you mentioned you have a convection oven. I do not–generally, convection ovens (because the heat is more consistent due to the fan) can be set about 25 degrees lower than regular ovens. This might explain some of the browning, perhaps :) Thanks Masha!

Jen @ Savory Simple — December 19, 2013 @ 8:05 pm

I love this recipe!

• Laura replied: — December 20th, 2013 @ 12:22 am

One of my favorites, that’s for sure!! Thanks Jen! (I’ll definitely be sending you another email tomorrow about the Pinterest thing too.)

1. Pingback: Things I am Going Crazy For This Week! - Half Baked Harvest