Mushroom Goat Cheese Galette

Mushroom Goat Cheese Galette | bloggingoverthyme.com

I feel like I should be telling you all about this mushroom and goat cheese galette, but really all I want to do is talk about is this past weekend. Usually, I’m pretty laid back when it comes to weekend plans.

That is code for stay-at-home, relax, rent a movie, lounge around in boxers and a t-shirt, go to the farmer’s market, cook some things, photograph some things, eat some things and repeat.  I’m wild like that, what can I say

[Understatement of the century.]

Mushroom Goat Cheese Galette | bloggingoverthyme.com

This is exacerbated on Friday nights when I get home late from work. Don’t get me wrong–I’m all for plans early on in the day. Ask me to do anything in the morning (well, mostly anything) and I’ll usually say yes.

“Sure, that sounds great! Let’s do it.”

Ask me again eight hours later and usually my answer tends to shift to, “I guess we could do that. Are you sure you don’t want to just stay at home and eat stuff whilst vegging out on the couch? That sounds like even more fun to me.”

True story, or at least, some less exaggerated version of it.

Mushroom Goat Cheese Galette | bloggingoverthyme.com

So, it came as huge surprise on Friday when Connor was able to convince me, both in the morning and the afternoon, to head into Georgetown–quite possibly the busiest, most obnoxious area of DC to visit on a Friday night–for a late dinner…followed by, wait for it, an even later movie. Craziness.

We went to a really hip, loud (yes, I complained about it) Mexican restaurant, where we gorged on pulled pork apple-topped tacos, blue crab taquitos, and half-price margaritas, courtesy of the government shutdown.

This was followed by a spontaneous, but mandatory, visit to Anthropologie, where I unknowingly tried on a $400 leather jacket (which I’m still currently obsessed with) and ultimately, only ended up buying one single, random, on-sale plate. #foodbloggerproblems

Mushroom Goat Cheese Galette | bloggingoverthyme.com

By the way, we saw Gravity. In 3-D. It was amazzzing. I’m not a big 3-D movie person, but there’s really no other way to see this movie. Seriously, go see it.

Other than that, my weekend was pretty predictable. I made some things, photographed some things, and ate some things–including this mushroom goat cheese galette, which I’ve been dreaming about for quite some time.

Mushroom Goat Cheese Galette | bloggingoverthyme.com

Cremini and shiitake mushrooms are sauteed with butter, garlic, and onions, de-glazed with dry sherry (my favorite trick, learned during my time working in the kitchen), and tossed with fresh thyme and rosemary.

Add some Humboldt Fog goat cheese (quite possibly one of my favorite cheeses ever–and that’s saying a lot), encase this in a sour cream pastry crust, bake it until golden brown, and you’re pretty much in heaven.

Predictably perfect fall food heaven. Enjoy!

Mushroom Goat Cheese Galette

Yield: 1 (10-inch) Galette

Prep Time: 2 Hours

Total Time: 2 hours and 45 minutes

Sour Cream Pastry Dough:

• 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, chilled in freezer for 10-15 minutes
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) frozen unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
  • 1/4 cup sour cream, very cold
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup ice water

Mushroom & Goat Cheese Filling:

• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 1/2 lbs thinly sliced mushrooms (equal amounts of shiitake and cremini)
  • 1/2 large yellow onion, finely julienned
  • 3-4 cloves of garlic, smashed
  • 1/2 cup dry sherry
  • large sprig of fresh thyme
  • large sprig of fresh rosemary
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 5 ounces Humboldt Fog goat cheese (or another ripened young goat cheese), seperated

Prepare Dough:

1. Combine salt and flour in bowl. Add chunks of butter and using a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse meal and butter pieces are no bigger than the size of small peas.
  2. In another bowl, whisk together the ice water, cold sour cream, and lemon juice.
  3. With fingertips or wooden spoon, slowly add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture until large lumps form.
  4. Pat all the lumps into a large ball--do not overwork the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours (if dough is too soft after an hour, allow to chill for another hour).
Prepare Filling:
  1. Heat very large (more surface area the better) skillet over very high heat. Add butter, followed by mushrooms, spreading into a single layer with a wooden spoon. Continue to saute--the mushrooms will quickly begin to release their moisture--keep cooking until most of the liquid has evaporated.
  2. Add the sliced onion and smashed garlic and continue to saute until the onions are translucent--and the mushrooms and onion begin to caramelize and the bottom of the pan has formed a nice light brown fond.
  3. Remove the pan from heat and deglaze with the dry sherry. Place back on the heat, add the sprigs of thyme and rosemary, and continue to cook over medium high heat until all of the sherry has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
  4. Remove and spread out on a baking sheet and allow to cool to room temperature. (Before using, discard the large sprigs of thyme and rosemary and garlic cloves).

Assemble Galette:

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees (F).
  2. Remove the dough from the fridge and on a floured work surface, roll out into a 12-inch round. Transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet.
  3. Crumble 3 ounces of the goat cheese into a bowl, add the (cooled) mushroom mixture, and stir gently.
  4. Spread the mixture into the center of the dough--leaving a 1 1/2 inch border on the sides. Fold and pleat the edges of the dough border over the mushrooms--leaving the center exposed.
  5. Bake for 30 minutes--remove from the oven--sprinkle with remaining 2 ounces of goat cheese--and continue to bake for another 5-10 minutes.
  6. Remove from oven, allow to stand for 5 minutes on cooling rack. Transfer to serving plate. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.

Crust recipe adapted from Williams-Sonoma.

Mushroom Goat Cheese Galette | bloggingoverthyme.com

28 Responses to “Mushroom Goat Cheese Galette”

Tieghan — October 8, 2013 @ 8:42 am

This galette! Oh my gosh, it’s awesome and so freaking pretty! I love all the mushrooms and obviously the goat cheese. I need to cook with mushrooms more!

• Laura replied: — October 9th, 2013 @ 12:48 am

I totally don’t believe you when it comes to cooking mushrooms. You seem to have perfected pretty much every food group out there ;) Thanks Tieghan!

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen — October 8, 2013 @ 9:28 am

We’re totally weekend twins – not the Georgetown part, but the farmers market, staying in, lowkey weekend part. I love savory galettes, and especially loving the Humboldt fog addition (one of my fave cheeses!!).

• Laura replied: — October 9th, 2013 @ 12:49 am

Totally low key = me in a nutshell. Humboldt fog is the best, isn’t it? :) Thanks Kelli!

Ali @ Inspiralized — October 8, 2013 @ 9:44 am

galettes are ALWAYS a good choice – beautiful photos and yummy post!

• Laura replied: — October 9th, 2013 @ 12:50 am

I need to make them more often! Thanks so much for visiting Ali! I’m so glad that I was able to discover your blog–I’m so impressed, seriously. I kinda want a spiralizer now.

pippa@popovertopippas — October 8, 2013 @ 10:19 am

Humbolt Fog, my favorite. This looks so good! Maybe you can ask for the jacket as a Christmas present (that sounds over our usual budget though:))

• Laura replied: — October 9th, 2013 @ 12:52 am

HA! Yeah, times our budget by 2 and a half and maybe that would be possible. Connor thought about buying it for me for about 2 seconds, then glanced at the price tag.

• pippa@popovertopippas replied: — October 9th, 2013 @ 9:13 am

yah, maybe you should look somewhere else for your leather jacket!

Archana @ FeedingtheFoodie — October 8, 2013 @ 12:12 pm

I’d love to be doing what you did on every Friday – loud busy places and late night movies are totally my thing. I find myself being lazy and vegging a lot instead.
    I absolutely adore mushrooms, garlic, goat cheese and I usually use balsamic vinegar- i like your sherry and herb addition!Never thought of making a galette out of it – this looks absolutely gorgeous !!!!

• Laura replied: — October 9th, 2013 @ 12:55 am

Haha! I love going out, but I totally am more of a homebody. Despite all my efforts, I’ve come to accept that about me :) Great idea to use balsamic! Love it. Thanks Archana!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — October 8, 2013 @ 1:09 pm

I’m the same way – I’ll spend my money on food props rather than clothes!

Now this galette – gorgeous! Savory galettes are on my list to try, and this is the first one I’ll make!

• Laura replied: — October 9th, 2013 @ 12:56 am

So glad to know that I’m not alone! :) I think that’s just how food bloggers roll. Granted, it was a really pretty plate ;)

Thanks so much Chung-Ah!! Let me know if you try it!

Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry — October 8, 2013 @ 4:02 pm

My ideal weekend is doing nothing at all. Lame but I love it. This mushroom goat cheese galette sounds delicious!

• Laura replied: — October 9th, 2013 @ 12:58 am

Wahoo! Three cheers for staying home and doing nothing, haha. Thanks Nicole! :)

Natasha @ The Cake Merchant — October 8, 2013 @ 4:19 pm

Mushrooms and goat cheese are two of my favorite things! Your photos and gorgeous. And I totally agree. 3-D is the only way to see Gravity.

• Laura replied: — October 9th, 2013 @ 1:00 am

Thanks so much Natasha! Did you see it?! It was amazing, right? So, so good. I love Sandra Bullock and George Clooney.

Irene @ {a swoonful of sugar} — October 8, 2013 @ 8:50 pm

Ahhh we all have those food blogger prop hunting mode moments! And love these tarts, I’ve reaallly got to get on with making my first galette. Yours look absolutely gorgeous.

• Laura replied: — October 9th, 2013 @ 1:01 am

Haha, so true. Whenever I visit Anthropologie, I immediately make a beeline towards the dishes and silverware. Thanks for visiting Irene! :)

Mushrooms Canada — October 10, 2013 @ 12:42 pm

I’m sure I’ll be dreaming about this now too! The flavours in this recipe are absolutely perfect and I can’t wait to test it out this weekend for our Canadian Thanksgiving. Thanks for sharing!

-Shannon

Lauren @ Lake Shore Lady — October 12, 2013 @ 1:12 pm

Umm… this combines all of my favorite things. Making it IMMEDIATELY!
    xo,
    Lauren at http://www.lakeshorelady.com

Elaine — October 12, 2013 @ 3:24 pm

Hello, I’m Elaine. I love food blogs. My favorite is yours and “Cooking With Mr. C.” on Facebook. (also a blog) Between the two of you, I get the best recipes. Keep them coming. Elaine.

Millie — October 13, 2013 @ 1:29 pm

Oh my gosh, this looks so rustic and delicious!! I’m kinda obsessed with mushrooms in the colder months, and this looks perfect!!
    If you have a moment, do you mind checking out my blog please? Thanks :)

Nicole ~ Cooking for Keeps — October 14, 2013 @ 9:33 pm

Sometimes a night out on the town is just what you need — sounds like it was delicious as well. And these photographs are seriously stunning! Wow.

Maria | Pink Patisserie — October 18, 2013 @ 10:56 am

Really luscious, lush galette! I can think of few better ways to use mushrooms, and that cheese! I agree it’s the best. I simply cannot get enough mushrooms and to think all the years I wasted as child thinking they were icky! Shameful of me..

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes — October 20, 2013 @ 10:46 am

I relate SO MUCH to this post Laura, it’s always comforting to see ourselves in others, though I don’t know how you actually agreed to a movie on a friday night!. And galettes are probably my favorite way of making pie without the hassle of a perfect dough. This is beyond gorgeous! The flavors, the pics, all wonderful!

1. Pingback: Currently Crushing On. | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: Experimental Gastronomy | There’s a Dreidel in my Dressing! — It’s Thanksgivukkah 2013!