Pumpkin Butter Pecan Scones

Pumpkin Butter Pecan Scones | bloggingoverthyme.com

Sorry for the disappearing act last week!  I ended up taking a few days off of work and heading down to Hilton Head Island with my family for the long weekend.  Thankfully, the week-long downpour of rain in DC did not follow us and we had picture-perfect weather the entire time. If you follow me on Instagram, you’ll know that the majority of my activity involved sitting by the pool and drinking smoothies.  It was extremely rough.

Anyway, I ended up taking it as an opportunity to disconnect for the week, which I must admit, is a task that I am not extremely good at.  Baking, on the other hand, comes a bit more naturally to me.

Pumpkin Butter Pecan Scones | bloggingoverthyme.com

After avoiding pumpkin for as long as possible, I couldn’t help it anymore.  At a certain point, your body just craves it–especially when crunchy leaves, scarfs, and sweaters come into play.

Every year, I tell myself that I’ll make all sorts of crazy, over-the-top things with pumpkin.  Pumpkin marshmallows, three-tiered pumpkin cakes, pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin risotto, etc, etc.  My imagination goes wild with the possibilities.

And then fall arrives and I end up resorting to my favorite, traditional staples.  Pumpkin quick breads, homemade pie, pancakes, and streusel muffins.  The old idiom, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” comes to mind.

Pumpkin Butter Pecan Scones | bloggingoverthyme.com

But with that said, I still wanted to do something a bit more different and exciting this year.  You guys deserve it.

So after a bit of brainstorming, I came up with the idea for these.  Similar to the idea of a cinnamon bun,  these scones are comprised of a traditional scone dough, which is layered with a filling of pumpkin butter, ground pecans, cinnamon, cloves, and a touch of brown sugar.

If you’ve never worked with pumpkin butter, it is essentially a slow-cooked, thick jam made from pure pumpkin, baking spices, and sugar.  I ended up using a store-bought version (from Trader Joe’s), but feel free to substitute with homemade, if you are lucky enough to have it on hand.

Pumpkin Butter Pecan Scones | bloggingoverthyme.com

Despite how its name suggests, pumpkin butter does not have an overly strong pumpkin flavor, so if you happen to have friends and family who are not big fans (my dad’s one of them), I’m fairly positive they will still love these.

They are buttery, tender, and surprisingly light (despite the obvious heavy cream and butter)–as any good scone should be–and infused with the perfect amount of fall spice and pumpkin goodness.  The dough comes together fairly quickly, but be sure to allow it to chill sufficiently in the fridge.  Chilled dough equals taller, more tender scones.  Enjoy!

Pumpkin Butter Pecan Scones

Yield: 10 Scones

Prep Time: 2 hours and 30 minutes

Total Time: 3 hours

Dough:

• 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 4 ounces (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4" cubes
  • 1 cup + 1 tablepoon chilled heavy cream

Filling:

• 1/3 cup canned pumpkin butter (I used Trader Joe's brand)
  • 1/4 cup roasted whole pecans
  • 1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • pinch of ground cloves
  • pinch of salt

1. Before starting, place the butter and cream in freezer for 5-10 minutes to chill.
  2. Grind the pecans in a small food processor until it resembles wet sand, set aside in a bowl and mix with 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon, brown sugar, and pinch of salt.
  3. Place flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt in (large) food processor bowl. Pulse several times to combine thoroughly. (Alternatively, rub the butter into the flour mixture using your fingertips. Work quickly until the butter resembles grains of rice and is distributed evenly among the flour.)
  4. Add the cold, cubed butter to the flour mixture and pulse several times quickly until the butter pieces are no larger than the size of a pea.
  5. While pulsing, pour in the cream and continue to pulse until the dough just comes together--if necessary, add an additional tablespoon of cream.
  6. Flour your hands lightly and move the dough to a well-floured counter top. Press together and knead briefly. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough into a 8 inch x 10 inch rectangle. Move the dough with a bench scraper periodically as you do this to ensure that is not sticking to the counter top--continue flouring lightly if necessary. Use your hands to square the corners.
  7. Using an offset spatula, spread the pumpkin butter on the top of the dough--leaving a 1/2" border on all sides. Sprinkle evenly with the nut mixture.
  8. Roll the long edge of the dough up, patting the dough as you go, until the dough forms a long 10" log. Place seam side down to seal. Cut evenly in half, wrap the respective pieces with plastic wrap, place on a plate or baking sheet and allow to chill in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours or preferably, overnight (if the dough is too warm, the scones will spread more in the oven).
  9. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Line a full baking sheet with parchment paper (or Silpat). Bake 5-6 at a time (allowing the baking sheet to cool completely between batches).
  10. Remove the logs from the fridge and slice each respective half into 5 equal rolls--about 1 1/2" wide.
  11. Place the scones spiral side up on the baking sheet. Squeeze the dough with your hands to shape them into rounds.  Bake for 30-35 minutes. The scones are ready when the bottoms are golden brown.
  12. Best served hot out of the oven or within the first day of baking (they can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for an additional 2-3 days).

The dough can be made ahead and stored, covered tightly with plastic wrap, in the fridge for up to a day before baking.

Pumpkin Butter Pecan Scones | bloggingoverthyme.com

PS.  I promise not to go overboard with the pumpkin recipes this year, but hopefully I’ll have a few more fun recipes to share over the next month or so!

36 Responses to “Pumpkin Butter Pecan Scones”

Ali @ Inspiralized — October 22, 2013 @ 8:31 am

These pictures really make me want to dig right in!! I love them.

• Sandra replied: — October 22nd, 2013 @ 8:41 am

Ditto! Can’t wait to bake these in my kitchen!

• Laura replied: — October 22nd, 2013 @ 11:54 pm

Thanks so much Ali! Means a lot ;)

Sues — October 22, 2013 @ 9:54 am

These look SO SO good. It’s really hard for me to disconnect, too, but after I do it I feel sooo good. A little behind, but good :)

• Laura replied: — October 22nd, 2013 @ 11:55 pm

YESSS! I felt so behind–but it was nice to just be in the moment. I even read a real (paper) book for the first time in months! Felt so good. Thanks Sues!

Kelly Senyei | Just a Taste — October 22, 2013 @ 9:54 am

Your photography is absolutely spectacular! I can practically taste how flavorful these scones are just by looking at them :)

• Laura replied: — October 22nd, 2013 @ 11:58 pm

You are TOO kind! That means so much–I really appreciate it. Love your blog, by the way! ;)

pippa@popovertopippas — October 22, 2013 @ 9:58 am

decadent, yum!

• Laura replied: — October 23rd, 2013 @ 12:04 am

Thanks Pippa!

Nora @ Buttercream Fanatic — October 22, 2013 @ 11:24 am

The idea of using scone dough for a cinnamon roll-type pastry is great!

So glad you had a chance to relax and unwind a little bit. I sympathize with the problem of not being very good at unplugging :)

• Laura replied: — October 23rd, 2013 @ 12:08 am

So glad I’m not the only one. But I guess that’s bound to be something that fellow bloggers have in common ;) Thanks for all your support, Nora!

Mom — October 22, 2013 @ 12:05 pm

Gosh! i want to make this right now!!! Cassidy would go mad over these as he loves pumpkin yummies! Delicious! But how do dad and i keep from eating all of them?

• Laura replied: — October 23rd, 2013 @ 12:13 am

Pumpkin yummies? Haha. Yep, Cassidy would like these. Just enough cream and butter to satisfy his requirements for a baked good. You could try a half batch, or freeze them for later!

Archana @ FeedingtheFoodie — October 22, 2013 @ 12:43 pm

wow,these look great! I can imagine eating one with a hot cup of cofee. Such a nice use of pumpkin

• Laura replied: — October 23rd, 2013 @ 12:14 am

Perfect with coffee or tea! Thanks so much Archana! So glad you’re here!

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen — October 22, 2013 @ 12:54 pm

How fun are these swirly scones!! Such a great way to change up plain ‘ol pumpkin scones!

Also, love your scalloped-edge plate! Super cute.

• Laura replied: — October 23rd, 2013 @ 12:16 am

Thanks so much Kelli! :) I got that plate on sale at Anthropologie a few weeks ago–I’m sure you’ll see it around here quite often, I sort of love it too.

Averie @ Averie Cooks — October 22, 2013 @ 1:25 pm

Amazing that you could get these to look like little cinnamon rolls! So yummy!

• Laura replied: — October 23rd, 2013 @ 12:17 am

Thanks so much Averie!! I had to make a few batches, but they worked out in the end :)

Ellie@Fit for the soul — October 22, 2013 @ 1:50 pm

wowww these are gorgeous, and you’re a baking queen, my friend!! I’m pinning this asap. :D

• Laura replied: — October 23rd, 2013 @ 12:21 am

Awww, shucks. You are so sweet! Thanks Ellie (extra thanks for the pin love)!

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — October 22, 2013 @ 2:43 pm

These are genius! Love the cinnamon roll/scone hybrid idea.

• Laura replied: — October 23rd, 2013 @ 12:24 am

I was originally thinking of doing a version with mostly cinnamon and brown sugar–but couldn’t resist the pumpkin idea once I had it! Thanks lady! :)

Tieghan — October 22, 2013 @ 10:30 pm

Girl these are incredible! So pretty, so flavor and just plain awesome. Plus, you photos make me want these for dinner!! So creative!!

Oh and all you instagram pics made me so jealous! Sounds like a great time! :)

• Laura replied: — October 23rd, 2013 @ 12:29 am

Scones for dinner? Sounds a-OK to me. Thanks so much friend! :) Can’t wait to see what you come up with tomorrow, you have a permanent bookmark button on my browser, just sayin’ :)

DessertForTwo — October 23, 2013 @ 9:56 am

I can’t stop using pumpkin butter in my kitchen right now! And now I have another recipe to use it–thanks :)

• Laura replied: — October 24th, 2013 @ 9:23 am

I have an idea–how about you come up with another one and we can swap?! Sounds good to me ;)

Vicky and Ruth — October 23, 2013 @ 3:53 pm

These look spectacular and I loved that you rolled the scones, they look really festive

• Laura replied: — October 24th, 2013 @ 9:23 am

Thanks so much guys! So glad you like them and thanks for visiting :)

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes — October 24, 2013 @ 6:46 am

Pumpkin eventually catches up with you, and then it’s all over your posts, lol! Rolled scones, SO amazing Laura! And I just must make that pumpkin butter too. I can’t get canned pumpkin anything here, so it must be homemade…sigh

• Laura replied: — October 24th, 2013 @ 9:25 am

I know, haha, you are so right! I have so many ideas and keep telling myself to rein it in. Thanks so much Paula! I haven’t made that recipe before, but let me know if you try it and like it. Obviously, these might turn out a bit different depending on the pumpkin butter that is used, but hopefully it will work out regardless, as long as it is the same type of thick, jammy texture.

Tracy | PEanutButter and Onions — October 25, 2013 @ 11:22 am

AMAZING… I’m soo hungry now

Adrianna from A Cozy Kitchen — December 18, 2013 @ 12:54 pm

I really really love when scones are made like this – it’s almost cinnamon roll-esque.

• Laura replied: — December 18th, 2013 @ 6:03 pm

Me too!! Thanks Adrianna!

Helen — May 3, 2014 @ 2:38 pm

I just made these, using 2% evaporated milk instead of the cream and they turned out heavenly! (I just ate 2- yum!) Thanks for the recipe.

• Laura replied: — May 3rd, 2014 @ 4:58 pm

Oh wow! I am so glad that you tried them and enjoyed them! Great to know a substitute for the cream too. Thanks for the feedback Helen!