Cranberry Apple Compote + Honey Yogurt Parfait

More festivity coming your way in the form of a parfait!

Cranberry Apple & Honey Yogurt Parfait | bloggingoverthyme.com

I’m not sure what I’m going to do with myself once the holiday season is over.  Maybe you’ll be thrilled, who knows.

It is actually extremely ironic that I’ve been posting so many holiday-esque recipes on the ‘lil blog (don’t worry, there is more coming your way), because Connor has recently nicknamed me Scrooge.

Yes, like that Scrooge.  The guy who hates Christmas and all things merry!  How rude.

Cranberry-Apple & Honey Yogurt Parfait | bloggingoverthyme.com

He’s holding a grudge, because I complained, loudly, for a few days last week about getting a Christmas tree for our apartment.  Don’t get me wrong, I love Christmas.  I also love Christmas trees.  It’s my favorite holiday of the year without question.

But….a) we live in a 700 square foot apartment, b) I’m afraid my cat is going to eat it (which is a ridiculous notion, considering he barely branches out with cat food, let alone plants), and c) I’m still a baby, who has a lot of nostalgia when it comes to tree decorating.

Specifically, that it should be reserved for my parent’s house, while we listen to the same Christmas CD’s (yes! CD’s…from the late 90′s) we’ve listened to for years and break out the classic box of old ornaments.

Cranberry-Apple & Honey Yogurt Parfait | bloggingoverthyme.com

Well, Connor was determined and I finally got on board with the idea assuming that he would go out and just get a small tabletop one…

And lo and behold, he traipses into the apartment the other afternoon hauling a massive (see point A above) tree.  Not massive at all really, but massive in a we-live-in-a-700-square-foot-apartment kind of way.

He then had to spend the next 45 minutes trimming the branches–with a power drill, no less–to the point where it was almost naked, because it wouldn’t fit into the tree stand that he also secretly bought on Amazon.

Of course, I now, predictably, love the tree.  I even demanded that we return the environmentally friendly (and unfortunately, ugly) LED lights to get the classic white and colored twinkle lights that I’m used to.

Nostalgia, I tell you… it wins every time.

Cranberry Apple & Honey Yogurt Parfait | bloggingoverthyme.com

Anyway, onto the extremely festive (totally non-Scrooge worthy) parfait.  It’s super easy.  Almost non-recipe worthy easy, but sometimes those can be fun to share.

The compote is a simple mixture of Fuji apples, fresh cranberries, maple syrup, a tiny pat of butter, cinnamon, and fresh orange zest.  It’s layered up with yogurt, whipped together with some honey for a touch of sweetness, and lots of your favorite granola.

I’m a fan.  Bah humbug!

Cranberry Apple Compote + Honey Yogurt Parfait

Yield: 4 Servings

• 1 1/4 cup of your favorite granola

Cranberry Apple Compote:

• 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 4 large apples (Fuji, Pink Lady, or another variety that holds its shape), cut into 1/2" chunks
  • 1 cup fresh cranberries
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • small pinch of salt

Honey Yogurt:

• 3 cups (24ounces) greek or regular yogurt
  • 3-4 tablespoons honey, depending on your preference

1. Heat the butter over medium heat in a medium non-stick skillet until just beginning to bubble.
  2. Add the apples all at once and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the maple syrup, pinch of salt, cinnamon, and orange zest and continue to cook for another 3-4 minutes, or until the apples begin to turn translucent.
  3. Add the cranberries and continue to cook, stirring frequently, for another 4-5 minutes until they just begin to burst.  If necessary, de-glaze the pan with 1-2 tablespoons of water.
  4. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely before assembling the parfaits.
  5. In a separate bowl, whisk together the honey and yogurt.
  6. Using a pastry bag (fitted with a small round tip)--or spoon--add a layer of yogurt to each glass. Add a thin layer of granola.  Add a layer of compote and repeat the process again.  Top with another small dollop of yogurt and sprinkle with additional granola.
  7. Serve immediately.

Cranberry Apple & Honey Yogurt Parfait | bloggingoverthyme.com

Pin It

31 Responses to “Cranberry Apple Compote + Honey Yogurt Parfait”

Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) — December 13, 2013 @ 7:20 am

Those parfaits look absolutely incredible!!!

• Laura replied: — December 14th, 2013 @ 12:00 am

Thank you Jocelyn!!

Shelley @ Two Healthy Kitchens — December 13, 2013 @ 7:23 am

What a hilarious story, Miss Scrooge – love it! I could just picture Connor wrestling with a power drill to trim the branches – soooo funny! And yes, I completely understand the dilemma of ugly, way-too-white yet environmentally friendly LEDs vs. lovely yet will-be-half-burned-out-and-you’ll-have-to-buy-all-new-strands-next-year classic lights! Gaaahhhhh! Well, amidst all the decorating dilemmas, at least we have this simple yet totally beautiful (and healthy!!!! :D ) parfait to cheer us up! Yum – pinning ASAP! :D

• Laura replied: — December 14th, 2013 @ 12:00 am

Yessss!!! You described the LED vs normal light dilemma perfectly. Why can’t they be prettier?!?

Tieghan — December 13, 2013 @ 8:45 am

I know what you mean about the tree decorating, but you still have to have one. It’s Christmas! I say having 2 trees is better than having one anyway! :)

These are so festive and delicious! Love that!

• Laura replied: — December 13th, 2013 @ 11:59 pm

Thanks for talking some sense into me! ;)

pippa@popovertopippas — December 13, 2013 @ 10:00 am

My husband (ahem) could use a lesson or 2 from Connor. I want a tree, but Brian is like you (a scrooge). I want to see a picture of the tree now! The parfait looks good too.

• Laura replied: — December 14th, 2013 @ 12:01 am

Wow! I’m surprised Brian isn’t into the idea either!

Layla @ Brunch Time Baker — December 13, 2013 @ 11:26 am

These Parfaits look very delicious and refreshing!

• Laura replied: — December 14th, 2013 @ 12:01 am

Thank you!!

Liz @ Virtually Homemade — December 13, 2013 @ 12:27 pm

Oooh! I love parfaits and this one is so beautifully festive!

• Laura replied: — December 14th, 2013 @ 12:01 am

I don’t know why it’s my first parfait “recipe” but I love them too!

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen — December 13, 2013 @ 1:10 pm

So glad you’re into the tree now. Hold onto your seat for this one….we picked up an 8-foot tall tree last weekend! Yea, maybe we went a little overboard :)

And, these parfaits….I think I’m in love!

• Laura replied: — December 14th, 2013 @ 12:02 am

I guess I should stop complaining, especially since you live in NYC, haha!

Meg — December 13, 2013 @ 2:44 pm

I love the sound of this parfait — and I’m definitely nostalgic about the tree, too. This is the first Christmas my sister and I have both been married and out of the house, but we immediately trekked back to my parents’ place to help them put their tree up a few weeks ago! We listen to the same CDs every time, too (Hanson’s “Snowed In,” the *NSYNC Christmas album, Elvis Presley). Traditions are sacred! Also, I’m glad to hear you got a tree. :) It’s just not the same without one!

• Laura replied: — December 14th, 2013 @ 12:03 am

I know! Especially now that I don’t spend nearly as much time at my parents house over the holidays as I did a few years ago. Wahoo for old CDs!

Marcella @ BroadAppetite.com — December 14, 2013 @ 2:59 pm

I couldn’t have a tree because of my cat. The year we did have one, the cat thought every ornament was a cat toy. Needless to say every glass ornament was broken.

• Laura replied: — December 16th, 2013 @ 3:17 pm

Oh no!! My cat is too terrified to do anything like that, thank god.

Sarah | The Sugar Hit — December 15, 2013 @ 5:21 pm

I’m loving all the festivity! I can’t believe that the mastermind behind all this could ever be called a scrooge! But I totally get where you’re coming from on the tree-nostalgia front.

• Laura replied: — December 16th, 2013 @ 3:16 pm

Haha!! I’m going to relay this information to Connor. Maybe he’ll reconsider…

Toulet Isabelle — December 15, 2013 @ 6:02 pm

Coucou, mais quelqu’un peut m’expliquer ce qu’est le granola? Cela a l’air trop bon que j’aimerais essayer la recette!!
    Merci de votre réponse

Jennie @themessybakerblog — December 16, 2013 @ 11:09 am

I just found your site through Half Baked Harvest. You have a beautiful home here. This parfait is perfection–absolutely stunning.

• Laura replied: — December 16th, 2013 @ 3:15 pm

Thanks so much Jennie! I’m a big fan of Tieghan at HBH!

CakePants — December 30, 2013 @ 8:37 pm

This looks so good! I’ve been obsessing over cranberries this year. My dad makes some awesome homemade granola, and this would be great with it!

• Laura replied: — December 31st, 2013 @ 3:33 pm

Ooh! I need to get my dad to start doing that, haha. Thanks so much! Let me know if you try it!

Laura — December 17, 2013 @ 12:07 am

Oh course!! :) And yeah, my family is passionate about everything. We get in a lot of arguments, most of them revolve around food. Christmas trees, too. Haha!

1. Pingback: foodopia: Honey Greek Yogurt Parfait with Cranberry Apple… « We Live Social

2. Pingback: Foodie Friday: Breakfast Sweets | StyleCarrot