Grapefruit Curd Stuffed Doughnuts

Grapefruit Curd Stuffed Doughnuts | bloggingoverthyme.com

Hi, hi!  If you can’t already tell, the blog got a major facelift in the last 24 hours.  I’m feeling a little giddy today–be prepared for a lot of exclamation points.  I apologize in advance.

You see, the new design has been a work in progress for nearly two months, and I am so, so excited to finally share it with you guys.  I actually started the process back in May of last year–and have been patiently waiting for my turn this whole time.

It has been very, very hard (I’m the most impatient person in the world), but I knew it would be well worth the wait in the end.

Grapefruit Curd Stuffed Doughnuts | bloggingoverthyme.com

None of this could have happened without Lindsay, the incredibly talented designer of Purr Design.  Somehow, despite my incoherent and long-winded emails, she was able to come up with exactly what I was looking for.

And what better way to celebrate than with homemade doughnuts!

Grapefruit Curd Stuffed Doughnuts | bloggingoverthyme.com

Of the fried and yeasted variety!  If that wasn’t enough, I went ahead and stuffed them with homemade grapefruit curd.  I know it’s January and we’re still pretending to eat healthy food every meal of every day, but I couldn’t help myself.

These are way too much fun not to share.

Grapefruit Curd Stuffed Doughnuts | bloggingoverthyme.com

I have to admit…I’m a little surprised I made these.  I mean, I’m all for doughnuts–but I have always loathed the idea of frying at home.  Pan frying?  Sure.  Shallow frying?  Occasionally.

Deep frying?  Um…no.

It just sounds messy and obnoxious, doesn’t it?   I mean, that’s why people buy those machines that do all the work for them!  But the thought of homemade fried doughnuts, in the comfort of my own kitchen, lured me in.

So I sucked it up, bought the oil, found my frying thermometer, and went to town.

Grapefruit Curd Stuffed Doughnuts | bloggingoverthyme.com

Verdict?  It’s really not that bad.  In fact, it was pretty painless.  It really didn’t make that much of a mess and my apartment smelled like fried donuts all day.  And trust me, there are worse things in life.  Like traffic.  In Washington, DC.

Anyway, the worst part about frying is figuring out what to do with the oil once you’re done.  The most important step is to leave it alone and allow it to cool completely.  Obviously, you can then choose to find a container and discard it–but in this case, I recommend using a ladle and measuring cup, filtering it, and saving the oil (in the original container) for a future batch of doughnuts (or other fried good).

Frying oil should last for at least 2-3 additional uses–depending on the type of food you’re frying–and this makes the process much more cost-effective.

Grapefruit Curd Stuffed Doughnuts | bloggingoverthyme.com

These doughnuts are a little time-intensive, but well worth the effort.  They are true, fried doughnuts–made with a yeast dough consisting of bread flour, water, active dry yeast, salt, sugar, eggs, and melted butter.

They are soft and doughy–and go perfectly with a nice dusting of granulated sugar.  Although you could certainly stop there–the sweet, creamy, and tart grapefruit curd filling takes them over the top.

It’s celebration time!

Grapefruit Curd Stuffed Doughnuts

Yield: 16 Large Doughnuts

Prep Time: 1 hour

Total Time: 3 hours

Doughnut Dough:

• 10 ounces water, warm
  • 1.5 tablespoons active dry yeast
  • 4 1/4 cup white bread flour (19 ounces)
  • 2 whole eggs
  • 2 ounces unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (2.5 ounces)
  • 1 3/4 teaspoon salt

• 1.5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold

Assembly:

• 8 cups canola oil
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 - 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar

Prepare Doughnut Dough:

1. Combine warm water, yeast, and a pinch of sugar in a large bowl.  Allow to proof for 5 minutes in a warm place.
  2. Add roughly 1 cup of the bread flour and mix well with a whisk to make the starter.  Allow to sit for 30 minutes, uncovered, in warm place.
  3. Add the eggs, sugar, salt and melted butter and mix well.
  4. Add the remaining bread flour, stirring with a large spatula until incorporated.
  5. Place the dough on a well floured countertop and knead until soft, smooth and well incorporated--the dough will be sticky, but avoid adding too much additional flour.
  6. Place in a clean, greased bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and allow to rest in a warm place until double in size (roughly 1 hour).  Meanwhile, prepare grapefruit curd filling (see below).
  7. Once doubled in size, place on a lightly oiled countertop and press flat with the palms of your hand--until the dough is about 3/4" thick.  Using a 3-inch biscuit cutter, shape the doughnuts and place each piece of dough on a small square of parchment paper.  Cover the doughnuts with a kitchen towel and allow to rest for 15 minutes before frying (see below).

Prepare Grapefruit Curd:

• Put grapefruit juice, sugar, cornstarch, egg yolks, whole eggs, and salt into a small saucepan.  Whisk to combine.
  • Place over medium-low heat and whisk continuously until mixture thickens and comes to a slow boil.  Allow to boil for 2 minutes or so (to cook the cornstarch out) before removing from heat.  Whisk in the cold butter and vanilla.
  • Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve, using a spatula.  Set aside and allow to cool completely (if preparing ahead of time, cover and place in the refrigerator--and beat well before using).

Fry & Assemble the Doughnuts:

1. Heat the oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit in a large pot or Dutch oven, fitted with a frying or candy thermometer.  Fry 2-3 donuts at a time--invert the parchment paper and place donut side down in the oil--until the parchment releases (discard).  Fry 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown.  Drain on paper towels and allow to cool until barely warm to touch.
  2. Place granulated sugar on a small baking sheet.  Toss the cooled donuts in granulated sugar until well coated on each side.   Use a paring knife to puncture the side of each doughnut to form a small hold.  Place the tip of the piping bag into the hole and pipe 1-2 teaspoons of curd inside (roughly).
  3. Serve immediately.

P.S.  Hopefully any website glitches have already been addressed, but if any of you notice anything wonky on the site over the next few days–please send me an email or write a comment below—and I’ll try to address it right away!  Thanks!

70 Responses to “Grapefruit Curd Stuffed Doughnuts”

Averie @ Averie Cooks — January 21, 2014 @ 6:35 am

Your facelift is AMAZING! I knew it was lindsay’s work before I even used the scroll button. Stunning. She rocks and your site is so crisp & pretty!

The donuts – wow. I need a half dozen! pinned

• Laura replied: — January 21st, 2014 @ 8:25 pm

You are so right–she is the best. So glad that I stuck it out and was able to work with her. So glad that you like it Averie!

bianca @ sweet dreaming — January 21, 2014 @ 6:50 am

the donuts and your blog look gorgeous :)

• Laura replied: — January 21st, 2014 @ 8:25 pm

Thanks so much Blanca!

Sarah | The Sugar Hit — January 21, 2014 @ 7:27 am

I want to marry these donuts, and we would live in a house that looks like your new blog and it would be amazing.

• Laura replied: — January 21st, 2014 @ 8:26 pm

HAHAHA. I love you (is that weird? oh well).

Abby — January 21, 2014 @ 9:08 am

Love the new look! My cup of tea now looks incredibly lonely without one of these donuts, they look so good.

• Laura replied: — January 21st, 2014 @ 8:26 pm

Awww, wish I could send you one! Thanks Abby!

Tieghan — January 21, 2014 @ 9:13 am

You made doughnuts!! YAY!! They are awesome and fried is always the way to go, unless you are trying to sort of healthy. I mean, I love a really good baked doughnut, but it is more like cake if you ask me. So when you want a real doughnut fried is whats up!

Ok and the design. Well, you already know how I feel about this. It is awesome and congrats again!

• Laura replied: — January 21st, 2014 @ 8:28 pm

Yes! My craving won in the long run–I couldn’t help myself. Yeah, these are definitely NOT healthy, but what can you do? So glad that you like the site Tieghan! Means a lot.

Ashley M. — January 21, 2014 @ 9:28 am

Beautiful, beautiful photos. And gorgeous doughnuts!

• Laura replied: — January 21st, 2014 @ 8:28 pm

Thanks so much Ashley! Hope you’re doing well!

Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles — January 21, 2014 @ 9:39 am

So gorgeous. I love grapefruit curd…can eat it by the spoonful/gallon. Lemon curd too!

• Laura replied: — January 21st, 2014 @ 8:29 pm

I love any and all curds :)

Lily @ Life, Love, and Cupcakes — January 21, 2014 @ 9:55 am

The new design looks great! And you have me just about drooling with these donuts, they look heavenly!!

• Laura replied: — January 21st, 2014 @ 8:29 pm

So glad you like it!

Meg Jones | The Spatularette — January 21, 2014 @ 10:17 am

Loving the re-design AND the grapefruit curd. I pretty much live off of lemon curd in the summertime, so grapefruit is totally the perfect winter alternative.

• Laura replied: — January 21st, 2014 @ 8:30 pm

I love grapefruit. I had to do something else with it before the good ones disappear from the grocery store. Thank you!

Nicole ~ Cooking for Keeps — January 21, 2014 @ 10:17 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE the new design!! So gorgeous!! I’m totally jealous! :) Donuts are definitely the perfect celebratory food, and these ones are seriously to-die-for!! I must try grapefruit curd!

• Laura replied: — January 21st, 2014 @ 8:37 pm

YAY!! Can’t tell you how happy that makes me.

Molly | Yes to Yolks — January 21, 2014 @ 11:01 am

Congrats on the face-lift! It looks incredible. I’ve been toying with the idea of having mine re-done by Purr as well. I am completely clueless when it comes to the tech side of things. I know what I want but not how to get it, haha. Anyway. These doughnuts looks amazing. I love anything grapefruit…and anything fried. Love this idea!

• Laura replied: — January 21st, 2014 @ 8:36 pm

Definitely sign up NOW! She has a wait list, so you’ll have quite some time to commit anyway. I’m trying to toy around with learning more of the tech side of blogging, but when it came to a total redesign, I was completely lost. So glad you like it (and the doughnuts)! :)

Natalie @ Tastes Lovely — January 21, 2014 @ 11:01 am

Hellooooo gorgeous! Love the new blog design. Just beautiful. Especially love the green and your new logo. Can’t believe you’ve been waiting since May, but definitely looks like it was worth the wait.

And these grapefruit donuts look amazing! Grapefruit curd? Genius.

• Laura replied: — January 21st, 2014 @ 8:38 pm

Thank you!!! I had a couple of great options with the logo and we did a few rounds of revisions, so I’m really glad to hear that. It’s definitely a big (but very welcome) change from the previous look. Her wait list is long, but it was so, so worth the wait. She is great to work with!

Christine @ Cooking with Cakes — January 21, 2014 @ 11:27 am

I’M TRYING TO DIET OVER HERE. that is all.

• Laura replied: — January 21st, 2014 @ 8:38 pm

HAHAH! I’m (not) sorry –> oops.

nicolthepickle — January 21, 2014 @ 11:42 am

These look amazing! Simply perfect. I feel the same was as you do about deep frying, but Donuts can make me change my mind. :)

• Laura replied: — January 21st, 2014 @ 8:39 pm

Yeah, fresh doughnuts at home make me re-think the whole hatred of frying thing. Thank you!

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — January 21, 2014 @ 12:18 pm

LOVE the facelift, Laura! And love these doughnuts, obvs. :) Grapefruit curd as a filling is genius!

• Laura replied: — January 21st, 2014 @ 8:40 pm

So, so glad you like it, friend!

Rachel — January 21, 2014 @ 1:13 pm

The new website design is great – congrats on getting it up and running, and I can’t even believe there is such a thing as grapefruit curd. Yum – that sounds sooooo good!

pippa@popovertopippas — January 21, 2014 @ 2:17 pm

Laura, the blog looks great, congrats! And I am super impressed by these donuts.

• Laura replied: — January 21st, 2014 @ 8:40 pm

Thanks Pippa!!

Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) — January 21, 2014 @ 2:58 pm

These are so gorgeous and your photos are incredible.

• Laura replied: — January 21st, 2014 @ 8:40 pm

You are too sweet. Thanks Jocelyn!

Maria | Pink Patisserie — January 21, 2014 @ 3:00 pm

What a gorgeous recipe, gorgeous photos and an equally awesome redesign. Must try that grapefruit curd!

• Laura replied: — January 21st, 2014 @ 8:41 pm

Thanks Maria! :)

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen — January 21, 2014 @ 3:06 pm

Yay, I love the redesign!! It’s perfect and so pretty, and the logo is awesome…and so is the recipe page :) What a perfect way to start the year….the facelift AND the doughnuts!!

• Laura replied: — January 21st, 2014 @ 8:42 pm

Oooh yay! You’re the first person to say something about the recipe page. I’m so happy it’s more organized (it was sort of a mess before…to put it mildly).

YES!! It’s been a very exciting 2014 so far. Thanks Kelli!

Liz @ Virtually Homemade — January 21, 2014 @ 3:14 pm

Love the new design! Purr does such wonderful work.
    Those doughnuts look pretty nice too!

• Laura replied: — January 21st, 2014 @ 8:42 pm

She absolutely does! I’ve been a HUGE fan of her sites for years now. Thanks Liz! :)

Sandra — January 21, 2014 @ 3:39 pm

Congrats on the new look Laura! You must have worked very hard to achieve this (not surprised, knowing you:) AND this recipe reminds me of our fun doughnut tasting in NY! Yum!!

Dad — January 21, 2014 @ 3:40 pm

Laura,

Love the new look of the site. Also want a few of those donuts they look delicious, similar to the ones we see in Cornwall but I am sure these are way better !!!

Dad

Kristan @ the-broken-bread — January 21, 2014 @ 3:51 pm

These look INCREDIBLE!! Your site looks amazing! I cannot wait to make these puppies!

• Laura replied: — January 21st, 2014 @ 8:44 pm

Wow!! Thank you! I’m sort of obsessed with those bundt cakes you just shared. Just gorgeous.

Norma | Allspice and Nutmeg — January 21, 2014 @ 5:39 pm

Congrats! The blog looks great. And so do these donuts. The curd sounds amazing too.

• Laura replied: — January 21st, 2014 @ 8:44 pm

So happy to hear that you like it Norma! Thanks for all of your support!

CK. Chan — January 21, 2014 @ 8:52 pm

UMMM….Con is such a lucky guy! Those donuts….are they for real?!

Joanne — January 21, 2014 @ 10:25 pm

First of all – my jaw dropped when I saw the new site. GORGEOUS. I’m in love.

Donuts are definitely required for celebration. And if I don’t have these in my morning, there is a real possibility I might cry.

• Laura replied: — January 22nd, 2014 @ 10:24 pm

Oh my god!!! That makes me so happy–so glad to hear you like it.

And I wish I could send you some, but someone (ahem, Connor) demolished them.

Julie @ Lovely Little Kitchen — January 22, 2014 @ 12:19 pm

Love your new design. It has a nice crisp, natural feel to it. And these donuts are calling my name!

• Laura replied: — January 25th, 2014 @ 4:46 pm

So glad you like it Julie!

dina — January 22, 2014 @ 6:05 pm

i never had grapefruit curd but i love grapefruits and doughnuts. looks delish!

Helen @ Scrummy Lane — January 22, 2014 @ 7:54 pm

I’m always a bit afraid of trying to make donuts but I can see that they aren’t all that tricky … like you I’m always a bit put off by the deep frying, but the way you describe it makes it feel not so bad.
    Congrats on the new design – sooo classy!!

• Laura replied: — January 25th, 2014 @ 4:47 pm

I totally know what you mean–it sounds intimidating, but it just requires a little more work.

So happy to hear you like the new design! Thanks for the feedback!

cynthia — January 23, 2014 @ 11:04 am

I. Love. These. Oh my gosh, seriously, I can’t even express. They remind me of my absolute favorite stuffed doughnuts in the world, malasadas — but maybe even BETTER? I love the idea of grapefruit curd. It sounds like the exact right tang to balance out the heaviness of a deep-fried doughnut. Fantastic, Laura — and love your site redesign!

• Laura replied: — January 25th, 2014 @ 4:48 pm

Oooohhh…masaladas sound amazing. Thanks so much Cynthia! xo

CakePants — January 23, 2014 @ 10:42 pm

Oooh…grapefruit curd, and in a doughnut? Wow! (The fact that this recipe incorporates grapefruit *actually* makes this a healthy doughnut, riiight?)

• Laura replied: — January 25th, 2014 @ 4:48 pm

Oh yessss. Totally. :)

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes — January 26, 2014 @ 7:00 am

I’m crazy about curd, but never made it with grapefruit. Amazing! I already left a comment in the previous post, but there’s no harm is saying it again, you’re new look is so perfect Laura, slick and simple! Love it. And these doughnuts…!

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe — January 28, 2014 @ 6:01 pm

Laura, these doughnuts look incredible! I love citrus curd and I bet grapefruit curd is wonderful. I’ve made fried doughnuts before, and you’re right, it isn’t all that bad once you get going. However, I ended up making about 4 batches in one week because I didn’t want to waste the oil. I had a lot of happy friends that week though. ;)
    PS. Your new blog design is lovely!

• Laura replied: — January 28th, 2014 @ 7:15 pm

Good strategy!! I have the oil in the pantry (waiting for a future recipe), but multiple batches of homemade donuts in a week sounds like a much better plan ;) So glad you like the new design, Amanda!

Lokness @ The Missing Lokness — April 11, 2014 @ 9:13 pm

I don’t really like grapefruit, but your donuts look luscious! Light and fluffy with a creamy filling. Nommm…. Pinning!

1. Pingback: Currently Crushing On. | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: 28 Delicious Things To Cook In February | Southeast Valley Public Market(s) Project

3. Pingback: 28 Delicious Things To Cook In February | GossipViews.com

4. Pingback: 28 Delicious Things To Cook In February - zdouf!

5. Pingback: 28 Delicious Things To Cook In February | sooziQ

6. Pingback: Sifted: Rose-Shaped Sweet Rolls, Four-Cheese Ravioli Hearts + More - Funky Recipe - Meals - Holidays - Special Occasions

7. Pingback: Grapefruit Curd | Feeding Joshua