Dark Chocolate Chunk Raspberry Muffins

Dark Chocolate Chunk Raspberry Muffins | bloggingoverthyme.com

Today is Connor’s birthday!  Which means we’re celebrating with muffins.  And not just any muffins.  Dark chocolate chunk raspberry muffins.  Because there is no better combination in the world than raspberries and bittersweet chocolate.

Hopefully he agrees with that statement.  I didn’t actually ask his opinion on the matter.  But he consumed three of these in less than an hour, so I’ll take that as a yes.

Somehow, among mouthfuls, he did manage to tell me that I should have added even more dark chocolate chunks though.  But to be fair, when are there ever enough chocolate chunks?  Such a thing doesn’t exist.

Dark Chocolate Chunk Raspberry Muffins | bloggingoverthyme.com

I know it’s not my birthday–but I can’t help but feel a little older today.  Maybe it’s sympathy aging.  Is that a thing?

Or maybe it has to do with the fact that our apartment building has decided to re-paint all of our front doors this week and Connor has had to put out nearly 15 different visual reminders for me to remember to lock Max (the cat) into our bedroom before I leave for work today.

You know…so he doesn’t escape all over again and cause me another massive, life-threatening panic attack.

Dark Chocolate Chunk Raspberry Muffins | bloggingoverthyme.com

Am I exaggerating?  Barely.

He left a note near my keys–and at my request, put a box of Arm & Hammer kitty litter right in front of the door.  If I don’t notice them, the hope is that I’ll at least trip over the box on the way out the door and remember it then.

I’m sure he’ll come up with another type of reminder in the morning–and I’ll wake up with something written on my forehead in Sharpie or something.

Just kidding, Connor wouldn’t actually do that.  He’s a pretty nice guy.

Dark Chocolate Chunk Raspberry Muffins | bloggingoverthyme.com

[Oh yes, and if you're wondering, they're painting our doors GOLD.  Yes, gold.  Apparently, gold doors equate a modernized apartment building.  Who knew!]

Back to the muffins.  They could not be easier to throw together.

In fact, you don’t even need a stand or hand-held mixer.  A couple of mixing bowls, spatula, whisk, and lots of dark, bittersweet chocolate will do the trick.  I love to use 72% percent bittersweet chocolate (which I buy at Trader Joe’s in massive bars).

It makes these muffins perfectly balanced.  Incredibly chocolaty, but not overly sweet.  Highly, highly recommend.

Dark Chocolate Chunk Raspberry Muffins | bloggingoverthyme.com

The basic muffin recipe is based off of Dorie Greenspan’s dark chocolate chunk muffins–but I decided to add frozen raspberries to the mix and take it up another notch by dipping them in a pool of warm, dark chocolate ganache.

Does that technically make them cupcakes?  Maybe.  But let’s stick with muffins.  It means we get to eat them for breakfast.  And nothing starts your [birth]day off better than dark chocolate chunk raspberry muffins warm out of the oven.

Here’s to Connor, birthdays, gold apartment doors, and lots of lots of chocolate!

Dark Chocolate Chunk Raspberry Muffins

Yield: 12 Muffins

Muffins:

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Dutch processed), sifted
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup frozen raspberries
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped (divided roughly in half)
  • 1 1/4 cup buttermilk, room temperature
  • 1 whole egg, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Dark Chocolate Ganache:

• 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup half and half (or cream)
  • fresh raspberries (optional garnish)

Bake Muffins:

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.  Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners--or alternatively, lightly grease with cooking spray or butter.
  2. Whisk the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.  In a separate bowl, toss the frozen raspberries with one tablespoon of the dry mixture and place back in the freezer while you assemble the rest of the ingredients.
  3. In a glass or microwave-safe bowl, combine the butter and half of the chopped chocolate (2 ounces).  Microwave for 15-20 second intervals , stirring with a rubber spatula between each interval, until chocolate and butter has melted completely.  Whisk together.
  4. In separate measuring cup, whisk together the buttermilk, egg, and vanilla extract.
  5. Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour both the buttermilk and chocolate mixture.  Fold into the dry ingredients--until just combined and some small lumps remain.  Fold in the remaining chocolate chunks and frozen raspberries.
  6. Using an ice cream scoop or spoon, distribute the batter evenly among the muffin tin.  Bake at 375 degrees for 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out mostly clean (it is better to under-bake the muffins, than over-bake them, so err on the side of caution).
  7. Allow to cool on rack (in baking tin) for 5 minutes, before removing the muffins from the tin.  If you chose to skip the ganache, I recommend eating the muffins warm out of the oven.  If you do chose to add the ganache topping, allow the muffins to cool until lukewarm or mostly cool.

Prepare Ganache:

1. Place the finely chopped chocolate in a heat proof bowl.
  2. Heat the half and half in a glass measuring cup in the microwave at 15 second intervals until very hot.
  3. Pour the half and half over the chocolate and allow it to sit for 15 seconds.  Using a whisk, slowly incorporate the half and half into the chocolate.  Continue whisking slowly until mixture is smooth and shiny.
  4. Dip the muffins into the ganache and allow them to set for 5-10 minutes before serving.  Garnish the tops of the muffins with a fresh raspberry (optional).  Serve immediately.

These muffins are best served slightly warm out of the oven and the day of baking, but they can be stored in an airtight container, at room temperature, for an additional one to two days.

Dark chocolate muffin recipe adapted from Dorie Greenspan's Baking: From My Home to Yours.

Dark Chocolate Chunk Raspberry Muffins | bloggingoverthyme.com

38 Responses to “Dark Chocolate Chunk Raspberry Muffins”

Averie @ Averie Cooks — January 29, 2014 @ 7:00 am

Just stunning. The recipe, the photography & styling, the GANACHE! pinned

• Laura replied: — January 30th, 2014 @ 12:14 am

That means so much to me!! Thank you Averie!!

Norma | Allspice and Nutmeg — January 29, 2014 @ 8:16 am

chocolate and raspberry – I’m all over it. and I pinned.

• Laura replied: — January 30th, 2014 @ 12:15 am

Thanks for sharing!

Mikaila — January 29, 2014 @ 8:22 am

Looks amazing! I must try these. :)

• Laura replied: — January 30th, 2014 @ 12:15 am

Please let me know if you do :)

Molly | Yes to Yolks — January 29, 2014 @ 8:24 am

Wow! These look and sound great. Your pictures are always so gorgeous, and you do an amazing job with styling. I LOVE chocolate and raspberry together, so these muffins are right up my alley. Happy birthday to Connor!

• Laura replied: — January 30th, 2014 @ 12:16 am

I really don’t do much styling (don’t have a ton of patience for it), but thank you so much Molly! Your support means the world to me.

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen — January 29, 2014 @ 9:15 am

These look positively stunning! And I think these muffins beat doughnuts as a Monday morning tradition. Wow!

• Laura replied: — January 30th, 2014 @ 12:16 am

I dono….it’s a tough call. I’ll take both, please!

Tieghan — January 29, 2014 @ 9:15 am

Happy Birthday to, Connor!! Hope you guys get to do something fun today! Well, eating these muffin would be pretty fun and delicious. And yes, I agree that there is no such thing as too many chocolate chunks!

Oh and I mean that ganache? To freaking awesome!

• Laura replied: — January 30th, 2014 @ 12:18 am

Nothing too special today–but we have dinner plans for this weekend!!

pippa@popovertopippas — January 29, 2014 @ 9:26 am

I want one of these ASAP…….I am salivating thinking about them. Gold doors, how snazzy!!! That’s hilarious that Connor doesn’t trust you to remember to lock Max away.

Liz @ Virtually Homemade — January 29, 2014 @ 9:57 am

These are amazing! I really wish I had one for breakfast right now!

• Laura replied: — January 30th, 2014 @ 12:18 am

I do too!! They’re long gone ;)

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — January 29, 2014 @ 11:38 am

OMG! I would love to start the morning off with these bad boys!

• Laura replied: — January 30th, 2014 @ 12:19 am

Glad I’m not the only one who thinks ganache is an appropriate breakfast staple ;)

Anna@CrunchyCreamySweet — January 29, 2014 @ 12:09 pm

Gorgeous and delicious! These are some amazing muffins!

• Laura replied: — January 30th, 2014 @ 12:20 am

Thank you Anna!!

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe — January 29, 2014 @ 1:57 pm

Laura, these muffins look AMAZING. You’re right, dark chocolate and raspberries are one of the best flavor combinations ever. Connor is a lucky guy!

• Laura replied: — January 30th, 2014 @ 12:22 am

Seriously! Best combo ever–especially in baked goods. Can’t ever get enough. Thank youuuu!

Christine @ Cooking with Cakes — January 29, 2014 @ 2:56 pm

oh my god that ganache is everything!!!!!!! legit drooling

• Laura replied: — January 30th, 2014 @ 12:24 am

Wish I could send you one!!

Nicole ~ Cooking for Keeps — January 29, 2014 @ 3:51 pm

Happy Birthday to your sweetie! These are definitely birthday-worthy AND Valentine’s Day worthy. And ohhhh the chocolate — I agree, you can never have too much dark chocolate. :)

• Laura replied: — January 30th, 2014 @ 12:26 am

So true–I’m embarrassed to admit that I sort of forgot that these would be great for Valentines Day. But I sorta did. Haha!

Gintare @Gourmantine — January 29, 2014 @ 5:49 pm

There are never enough chocolate chunks, but these muffins are outstanding!

• Laura replied: — January 30th, 2014 @ 12:26 am

Nope, can never have enough of them! :)

Ginnie — January 29, 2014 @ 6:22 pm

Mmm … I love the combination of raspberries and chocolate! These look so good!

• Laura replied: — January 30th, 2014 @ 12:27 am

Thank you, thank you!! And thanks for visiting and stopping by :) Your blog is beautiful.

dina — January 29, 2014 @ 6:55 pm

they look wonderful!

Maria — January 29, 2014 @ 10:14 pm

WOW. Stunning pictures and looks absolutely delicious! I have been looking for chocolate muffin recipes and I will be giving yours a try!

I think it might be great to make them as mini muffins. I wonder if or how the baking time will change if you make them smaller.

Maria@

• Laura replied: — January 30th, 2014 @ 12:31 am

Hmmm…I don’t have a ton of experience baking mini muffins. I know that they are a little more finnicky since they have the tendency to dry out quickly. I haven’t tested it with this recipe, but I would suggest baking the mini version for 8-10 minutes, checking them regularly throughout that time, and go from there.

Hope this helps! Be sure to report back!

Sandra@sweetbitesdesserts.com — January 29, 2014 @ 11:10 pm

YUM! Adding these to my list and can’t wait to try! Thanks to Connor for the birthday:)

Joanne — January 29, 2014 @ 11:36 pm

Aww happy birthday to Connor!! You did good with these muffins, girl! I am totally drooling. I mean, chocolate and fruit is da bomb!

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes — January 30, 2014 @ 3:24 pm

Laura, they look so amazing, I shared them on G+ and they’re rocking it!
    Check it out, more that 100 +1’s! https://plus.google.com/u/0/+PaulaMontenegro/posts/Ji78hy715dV

• Laura replied: — January 30th, 2014 @ 8:25 pm

Wowza!!! Thank you so much for sharing, Paula! You’re the best.

Mom — January 31, 2014 @ 6:05 pm

Look fabulous and wish I had one with my tea RIGHT NOW!!!!! The photos are gorgeous and literally have me salivating over this! I’ll have to make these four Dad, but don’t know if they can possibly look as gorgeous as these! Any left! Happy Birthday, Connor! I am also shocked that Connor has to leave you so many visual reminders! I AM THE ONE who has done this with your dad for years!!!

1. Pingback: New in my blog reader: foodie edition | write meg!