Perfect Soft-Boiled Eggs & Grilled Cheese Soldiers

Is there anything better than a runny, soft-boiled egg?

Soft-Boiled Eggs & Grilled Cheese Soldiers |bloggingoverthyme.com

Soft-Boiled Eggs & Grilled Cheese Soldiers |bloggingoverthyme.com

Soft-Boiled Eggs & Grilled Cheese Soldiers |bloggingoverthyme.com

Soft-Boiled Eggs & Grilled Cheese Soldiers |bloggingoverthyme.com

Soft-Boiled Eggs & Grilled Cheese Soldiers |bloggingoverthyme.com

Soft-Boiled Eggs & Grilled Cheese Soldiers |bloggingoverthyme.com

Soft-Boiled Eggs & Grilled Cheese Soldiers |bloggingoverthyme.com

Perfect Soft-Boiled Eggs & Grilled Cheese Soldiers

Yield: Serves 1

• 2 large eggs
  • 2 slices of whole-grain bread
  • sharp cheddar cheese, grated
  • butter
  • salt
  • pepper

Soft-Boiled Eggs:

1.  Fill a small saucepan with cold water and bring to a boil.  Turn down to a low simmer.
  2. Meanwhile, use a thumb tack, push pin, or needle to poke a small hole in the broad end of each egg.
  3. Using a spoon, lower the eggs into the water--it should be simmering gently.
  4. Set a time and cook the eggs for 4 minutes and 30 seconds.  Using a slotted spoon, remove the eggs from the water immediately and rinse under very cold water briefly.
  5. You can either choose to peel them--or as I prefer, trim the top of the egg (by tapping with the edge of a spoon or knife) and serve the eggs in the shell with a side of grilled cheese soldiers (see below).  Season with salt and pepper.

Grilled Cheese Soldiers:

1. Prepare as you would a grilled cheese: smear the outside of each slice of butter with butter and fill the inside with grated, sharp cheddar cheese.
  2. Heat a pan over medium heat.  Carefully transfer sandwich to pan--and brown on each side until golden and cheese is melted and gooey.
  3. Cut into 1" wide rectangles (or soldiers).  Serve with the soft-boiled eggs.

If you prefer a more runny white, try cooking the eggs for closer to 4 minutes (or slightly under). These instructions will yield a mostly set white and very runny yolk, which is my preference. If you prefer a slightly thicker yolk (and very set white), try a 5-minutes egg.

Method adapted from How to Cook Everything

58 Responses to “Perfect Soft-Boiled Eggs & Grilled Cheese Soldiers”

Sarah | The Sugar Hit — February 3, 2014 @ 7:03 am

I LOVE THIS. These photos are incredible, and soft boiled eggs and grilled cheese together is like the ULTIMATE comfort food.

• Laura replied: — February 4th, 2014 @ 12:06 am

Thank you SO much Sarah! :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks — February 3, 2014 @ 7:03 am

I love the wordless post. Amen. I need to do this :)
    And those are truly PERFECT soft-boiled eggs. Never heard of the pushpin trick!
    pinned

• Laura replied: — February 4th, 2014 @ 12:07 am

I was feeling the minimalism :) Thanks for sharing Averie! Apparently the pushpin trick is designed to elevate pressure, so that the eggs don’t crack (if they’re cold) once they go into the boiling water.

Tasha — February 3, 2014 @ 8:19 am

Perfect for a rainy day.

• Laura replied: — February 4th, 2014 @ 12:07 am

Thanks friend!

Tieghan — February 3, 2014 @ 8:36 am

Those eggs look perfect!! Oh my gosh. I could eat this breakfast, lunch or dinner. LOVE!

• Laura replied: — February 4th, 2014 @ 12:08 am

Thanks lady! :)

Sandra@sweetbitesdesserts.com — February 3, 2014 @ 9:19 am

I love the soldiers! What a great way to get the kids to eat this easy and nutritious breakfast! Yum!

• Laura replied: — February 4th, 2014 @ 12:08 am

They might actually eat these! Haha — thanks Sandra!

Sammy — February 3, 2014 @ 9:28 am

What lovely images! This is one of my husband’s favorite b-fasts and you’ve inspired me to make it for him (and me!).

• Laura replied: — February 4th, 2014 @ 12:08 am

Mine too! I always forget about soft-boiled and usually just make sunny-side up, but I love these so much.

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — February 3, 2014 @ 9:56 am

These photos are stunning! I’ll take a dozen of these eggs!

• Laura replied: — February 4th, 2014 @ 12:09 am

Coming right up! ;)

pippa@popovertopippas — February 3, 2014 @ 10:10 am

I wish I had that for breakfast…. I like my new cheese grater/slicer from England!

• Laura replied: — February 4th, 2014 @ 12:09 am

Me too–very convenient for small grating tasks :)

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — February 3, 2014 @ 10:52 am

GOR-GEOUS photos, friend! My mouth is agape. Partially because it’s waiting for these grilled cheese soldiers to hop in.

• Laura replied: — February 4th, 2014 @ 12:10 am

Thanks so much Steph!

Izy — February 3, 2014 @ 11:16 am

holy crap grilled cheese toast soldiers.
    Genius.
    Pure genius.

• Laura replied: — February 4th, 2014 @ 12:10 am

Haha!! Definitely better than just plain toast, for sure. But than again, anything with cheese makes me happy. Thanks Izy!

Liz @ Virtually Homemade — February 3, 2014 @ 12:25 pm

That is one yummy looking breakfast!

Meghan — February 3, 2014 @ 1:25 pm

We just had soft boiled eggs for breakfast yesterday, and as I was eating the runny yolk with my toast and ham, I remarked that there’s nothing better than a runny egg yolk. My dad made them a lot for us when we were kids, and it is a great comfort breakfast food.

• Laura replied: — February 4th, 2014 @ 12:11 am

So true–definitely my favorite breakfast.

Christine @ Cooking with Cakes — February 3, 2014 @ 1:48 pm

my fiance hate runny yolks, which is a total bummer bc I am obsessed with them!!! the only way to eat an egg is with a runny yolk, clearly… and some grilled chee ;)

• Laura replied: — February 4th, 2014 @ 12:11 am

Whhhhaaaatt?! I didn’t even know it was possible to hate runny eggs!

Sini | my blue&white kitchen — February 3, 2014 @ 2:04 pm

Oh I definitely want these for breakfast! Really great pictures, Laura. The yellow from the egg yolks is gorgeous.

• Laura replied: — February 4th, 2014 @ 12:13 am

The eggs did all the work :) Thanks Sini!

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — February 3, 2014 @ 2:55 pm

I’m not a big fan of runny eggs but these photos have me rethinking everything.

• Laura replied: — February 4th, 2014 @ 12:12 am

Ohhhhhh no. Maybe the cheese will change your mind?!

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen — February 3, 2014 @ 4:14 pm

Awesome post and stunning photos!! I would love to wake up and find this waiting for me for breakfast tomorrow morning!

• Laura replied: — February 4th, 2014 @ 12:14 am

I was just telling Connor tonight (while we watched Downton Abbey) that I sorta wish I lived there and could ring a bell for breakfast every day. HA!

Joanne — February 3, 2014 @ 6:21 pm

Well, obviously only a grilled cheese DUNKED into a soft boiled egg! Mmmm. Heavenly.

• Laura replied: — February 4th, 2014 @ 12:14 am

Duhhh,

cynthia — February 3, 2014 @ 7:41 pm

Laura, these PHOTOS. I’m absolutely in love with them — such a fresh, impeccable take on minimalism! And melted cheese, toast, and soft-boiled eggs? Utter perfection. By the way, I’ve never heard of poking a hole in the egg before soft-boiling — what does that do, do you know?

• Laura replied: — February 4th, 2014 @ 12:16 am

It’s supposed to relieve the pressure–so that the eggs don’t crack (especially if they are cold from the fridge) when they go into the boiling water. I’m not sure it’s necessary, but it’s so simple that I bother to do it anyway ;) Thanks for the kind words, Cynthia! Means a lot.

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe — February 3, 2014 @ 8:26 pm

I’m in love with those grilled cheese soldiers – what perfect little dippers! And I’m digging the minimalist vibe of this post!

• Laura replied: — February 4th, 2014 @ 12:17 am

So much better than regular toast, right? I sort of took the minimalism theme and ran with it–so glad you liked it! :)

Nicole ~ Cooking for Keeps — February 3, 2014 @ 10:58 pm

Gorggggeous!!!!! I agree, there’s nothing better than a soft-boiled egg!

• Laura replied: — February 4th, 2014 @ 12:16 am

Thank you, thank you friend!

Kristan @ the-broken-bread — February 4, 2014 @ 2:13 am

Oh man, I agree with everyone else, the pictures are stunning. I too love the simplicity of your photos.

• Laura replied: — February 5th, 2014 @ 9:54 pm

Thank YOU! I appreciate it so much.

ashley - baker by nature — February 4, 2014 @ 8:42 am

Hello, breakfast! This looks amazing! And your photos are stunning!!!

• Laura replied: — February 5th, 2014 @ 9:54 pm

Thanks friend! :)

Erin | The Law Student's Wife — February 4, 2014 @ 9:11 am

Hello gorgeous runny egg, nice to meet you. I love dunking my toast in soft eggs, and the cheese additions makes this recipe even more amazing!

DessertForTwo — February 4, 2014 @ 1:46 pm

Oh so perfect! Where do I click to order one daily at 6am sharp??

• Laura replied: — February 5th, 2014 @ 9:52 pm

Hmmm…I’d like to sign up for that service too ;) Thanks Christina!

Ashley — February 4, 2014 @ 2:50 pm

That first photo needs to be framed! LOVE this + eggs…and grilled cheese. Seriously could eat this every day. I need more soft boiled eggs in my life. Thanks for the reminder!

• Laura replied: — February 5th, 2014 @ 9:52 pm

Ahh, that means so much, Ashley. Your photos inspired me to pick up my dad’s (fancy) camera four years ago and start playing around…and eventually shoot RAW and all that jazz. The rest is history. Thank YOU!

1. Pingback: Kotobuki Plastic Egg Mold, Rabbit and Bear | Kitchen Gadgets

2. Pingback: 31 Game-Changing Ways To Eat Breakfast For Dinner | Bringing the best news to the People

3. Pingback: 31 Game-Changing Ways To Eat Breakfast For Dinner | sooziQ

4. Pingback: 31 Game-Changing Ways To Eat Breakfast For Dinner - zdouf!

5. Pingback: These recipes will make sure that you are always able to have breakfast for dinner. « Wow Tales

6. Pingback: Squirrelly Minds » Eat | #pinmakeeat #3

7. Pingback: Breakfast Lovers, This One’s for You! 15 Different All-Day Breakfasts that you’ll love!

8. Pingback: Sunday Brunch: Eggs & Avocado Grilled Cheese Recipe – i am a food blog

9. Pingback: Post archive number 1 « Visualise