Crepes with Whipped Meyer Lemon Ricotta

Crepes with Whipped Meyer Lemon Ricotta | bloggingoverthyme.com

I swear I didn’t mean to post so many citrus themed foods in a row, but let’s go with it.  Yesterday, I mentioned a few foods that make winter worthwhile.

Well…I totally spaced and forgot to add Meyer lemons to the list.  How rude of me.  Hopefully these crepes will help make up for my indiscretion!  Also, have I really never posted crepes on the blog before?  Kind of in shock about this.

Crepes with Whipped Meyer Lemon Ricotta | bloggingoverthyme.com

Anyway, I’ve officially decided to classify these crepes as breakfast food.  They could also work well as a light dessert.  Either way, crepes with powdered sugar and lemon is one of my favorite things ever.  Yes, really.  I try to force everyone I meet in life to love it as much as I do–I did this during culinary school and all of my classmates hated me for it.  Actually, they really liked the crepes.  So, whatever.  Mission accomplished.

But really.  I love this simple combination more than chocolate, ice cream, doughnuts, and practically any other dessert (breakfast?) you could think of!  Yes.  Hard to believe given the desserts that have floated around on the blog as of late, but that’s the cold hard truth.

Crepes with Whipped Meyer Lemon Ricotta | bloggingoverthyme.com

These crepes are simple, classic, and uncomplicated.  But instead of literally just making crepes–and adding powdered sugar and lemon juice– I decided to do a little bit of a spin on the  whole lemon ricotta pancake concept.

So, these are effectively a deconstructed lemon ricotta pancake.  And now I sort of wish I could re-name the recipe.  Oh well.

Crepes with Whipped Meyer Lemon Ricotta | bloggingoverthyme.com

The pancakes are replaced with buttery, paper thin crepes infused with Meyer lemon zest.  A heavy dusting of powdered sugar is added on top.  More zest.  More lemon juice.

Then the best part, the whipped Meyer lemon ricotta.  A simple mixture of whipped whole fat ricotta, Meyer lemon juice, zest, and sugar–folded into whipped cream.  Oh yes.

Crepes with Whipped Meyer Lemon Ricotta | bloggingoverthyme.com

The whipped ricotta is light, creamy, and has just a touch of sweetness from the powdered sugar.  It helps add a completely new dimension and layer of creaminess to the whole dish.  Meyer lemons are fabulous for this, since they are slightly sweeter and less tart than regular lemons–but feel free to substitute them with regular lemons if you can’t find them!

And if you have the time and energy to make homemade ricotta, you are officially my hero.  Enjoy!

Crepes with Whipped Meyer Lemon Ricotta

Yield: 8-9 Small Crepes (2 Servings)

Prep Time: 20 minutes (plus resting time)

Crepe Batter:

• 1/3 cup all purpose flour
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon Meyer lemon zest, finely chopped
  • 2 whole eggs
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 3/4 cup whole milk
  • 1 teaspoon clarified butter, melted (plus more for cooking)

Whipped Meyer Lemon Ricotta Topping:

• 1/2 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
  • 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon lemon juice
  • zest of 1 Meyer lemon
  • 1/4 cup cold heavy cream

Garnish:

• Meyer lemon zest & wedges
  • powdered sugar

Crepe Batter:

1. Whisk the flour, salt, and lemon zest in a medium bowl.  Add the eggs and egg yolk and whisk until smooth.  Slowly pour in the milk, whisking continuously until all of the ingredients have been incorporated.  Whisk in the melted clarified butter.
  2. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and rest the batter in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes (or alternatively, overnight or up to 48 hours in advance of when you are preparing the dish).
  3. Prepare the Whipped Meyer Lemon Ricotta Topping (see below).
  4. Heat clarified butter in a small non-stick pan over medium heat.  Once butter begins to sizzle just slightly, add a small ladle of crepe batter.  Working quickly, tilt the pan repeatedly to swirl the batter and create as thin a layer as possible.  Allow crepe to cook until edges just begin to turn golden brown (roughly 2-3 minutes)--adjusting the heat if necessary.  Using a small offset spatula and your hands, flip the crepe.  Cook briefly on the other side until golden brown.
  5. As you work, place the crepes between layers of parchment paper on a small baking sheet and keep warm in a 200 degree Fahrenheit oven.

Whipped Ricotta Topping:

1. Combine the ricotta, zest, lemon juice, and powdered sugar in the bowl of a mini food processor.  Process for 10 to 15 seconds until smooth.  Set aside.
  2. In a separate bowl, whip the cream until it reaches soft peaks.  Fold the whipped cream and ricotta mixture together.  Set aside.

Assembly:

1. Dust each warm crepe layer with powdered sugar and sprinkle lightly with lemon juice.  Roll loosely.  Top with a dollop of whipped Meyer lemon ricotta.  Garnish with additional zest and powdered sugar, as desired.  Serve with lemon wedges.

Crepe batter can be prepared up to 48 hours in advance.

Pin It

72 Responses to “Crepes with Whipped Meyer Lemon Ricotta”

Averie @ Averie Cooks — February 21, 2014 @ 7:07 am

So gorgeous, light, airy, just lovely!

And i never would have actually noticed that you posted a few citrus recipes til you actually pointed it out. I do the same thing with…PB :) And always pray everyone who reads my site is fully on board with it. lol

pinned

• Laura replied: — February 23rd, 2014 @ 10:57 am

Thank you so much Averie! And yes–you can never have enough peanut butter, so I’m confident that you have nothing to worry about!! ;)

Genny — February 21, 2014 @ 8:10 am

These look amazing, I will try them! Thanks for sharing.

• Laura replied: — February 23rd, 2014 @ 10:57 am

Thank you Genny!

Ali @ Inspiralized — February 21, 2014 @ 8:48 am

I can’t get over how delicate and beautiful these crepes look!

• Laura replied: — February 23rd, 2014 @ 10:58 am

Thank you Ali!!

Nicole ~ Cooking for Keeps — February 21, 2014 @ 8:59 am

I would take these for breakfast any day — I can just imagine how wonderful they taste. And I totally agree, I’d choose lemon over chocolate nine times out ten, especially if it comes in a package like this!

• Laura replied: — February 23rd, 2014 @ 10:58 am

Yes! I so agree with you on that. Hope you’re having a great weekend Nicole!

Mimi — February 21, 2014 @ 9:08 am

Beautiful!

• Laura replied: — February 23rd, 2014 @ 10:56 am

Thanks!

Tieghan — February 21, 2014 @ 9:46 am

Crepes are my all time favorite. I honestly make them more than pancakes, at least once a week. I love them lemon filling!

• Laura replied: — February 23rd, 2014 @ 10:56 am

I know!! Your crepes are always beautiful. Thanks Tieghan!

Anna @ Garnish with Lemon — February 21, 2014 @ 9:48 am

These are the perfect antidote to the winter blues. It’s like spring on a plate!

• Laura replied: — February 23rd, 2014 @ 10:55 am

Thank youuu!

Liz @ Virtually Homemade — February 21, 2014 @ 10:03 am

So beautifu Laura – I love lemon desserts! Pinned:)

• Laura replied: — February 23rd, 2014 @ 10:55 am

Thank you Liz!

pippa@popovertopippas — February 21, 2014 @ 10:17 am

YUMMMMMMMM. Did Connor get any?!

• Laura replied: — February 23rd, 2014 @ 10:55 am

Yes!! He ate 75% of it!

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen — February 21, 2014 @ 10:23 am

These crepes just made me week! Pure genius!! And because you’ll appreciate this as much as I do, that is one beautiful quenelle on top of those crepes :)

• Laura replied: — February 23rd, 2014 @ 10:55 am

Hehe–I figured you might appreciate it. Not my best but close enough, right? ;)

cynthia — February 21, 2014 @ 11:32 am

Perfection, Laura! I love these.

• Laura replied: — February 23rd, 2014 @ 10:52 am

Thanks Cynthia! :)

Katrina @ WVS — February 21, 2014 @ 11:48 am

You are KILLING me with these!! That ricotta is totally swoonworthy!

• Laura replied: — February 23rd, 2014 @ 10:52 am

Thank you!!!! Hope you’re having a great weekend!

DessertForTwo — February 21, 2014 @ 12:36 pm

Full-fat ricotta is my jam :)

• Laura replied: — February 23rd, 2014 @ 10:51 am

Right back at ya!

Kevin | keviniscooking — February 21, 2014 @ 1:39 pm

Laura these look simply delicious. I actually just preserved some Meyer Lemons, but this is definitely one for the weekend brunch.

Thanks!

• Laura replied: — February 23rd, 2014 @ 10:51 am

Oh my!!! I need to preserve lemons one of these days–it’s been something I’ve been meanjng to try for a long time. Thanks Kevin!

Taylor @ greens & chocolate — February 21, 2014 @ 2:03 pm

These look incredible…that whipped meyer lemon ricotta is calling my name!

• Laura replied: — February 23rd, 2014 @ 10:50 am

Thank you Taylor!!

Danielle @ TheCharmItSpot — February 21, 2014 @ 2:42 pm

Oh my, this looks SOO good!! I’m really in the mood for crepes now! Thanks for sharing this recipe! Yum!

• Laura replied: — February 23rd, 2014 @ 10:50 am

Yay! So glad you like them Danielle!

Jennie @themessybakerblog — February 21, 2014 @ 2:52 pm

These look gorgeous, Laura! Your photos make me want to hop right through the screen and join you for breakfast. I think I could eat the ricotta by the spoonful.

• Laura replied: — February 23rd, 2014 @ 10:49 am

Thanks so much!! I wish you could!

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe — February 21, 2014 @ 2:53 pm

These crepes are absolutely gorgeous! I have to admit that lemon desserts top my list too!

• Laura replied: — February 23rd, 2014 @ 10:49 am

Yay!! Me too!

Kathi @ Deliciously Yum! — February 21, 2014 @ 4:46 pm

These look so lovely and cooked to perfection. Before reading your post, I thought to myself I know what I’m gonna make for breakfast tomorrow morning… wait is it okay to eat crepes for breakfast? Then I saw you pronounced it a breakfast food and I couldn’t be happier :). Yum!

• Laura replied: — February 23rd, 2014 @ 10:49 am

Most definitely!!! These honestly aren’t even that sweet either–regular pancakes are much more indulgent, I think ;)

Sarah | The Sugar Hit — February 21, 2014 @ 7:31 pm

Whipped ricotta is my jam, and my relationship with crepes has been described as ‘unhealthy’. So THIS LOOKS AMAZING.

• Laura replied: — February 23rd, 2014 @ 10:48 am

Isn’t is awesome?! Haha!! I’m a staunch supporter of unhealthy relationships with crepes.

Frank Mosher — February 21, 2014 @ 7:58 pm

Thanks! Nice recipe I will try shortly.

• Laura replied: — February 23rd, 2014 @ 10:47 am

Let me know if you do!

cheri — February 22, 2014 @ 12:27 am

these look amazing!

• Laura replied: — February 23rd, 2014 @ 10:47 am

Thank you!!!

Norma | Allspice and Nutmeg — February 22, 2014 @ 9:11 am

I didn’t notice that you posted 3 citrus recipes in a row because you make each one stand on its own beautifully.

These crepes are happening in my kitchen soon.

• Laura replied: — February 23rd, 2014 @ 10:43 am

You’re so sweet Norma! Thank you!! Hope you are having a great weekend!

sue/the view from great island — February 22, 2014 @ 12:56 pm

Stunning — I am drooling and pinning simultaneously :)

• Laura replied: — February 23rd, 2014 @ 10:43 am

Thank you for sharing!!!

Rhonda — February 22, 2014 @ 12:57 pm

I love all things lemony and these look especially delicious. On my list to try…( I have yet to try and make a crepe).

• Laura replied: — February 23rd, 2014 @ 10:42 am

Ooh, you must make crepes! Even if it’s not this specific preparation. One of my favorite things ever.

Deb — February 22, 2014 @ 1:50 pm

My favorite sweets are laced with lemon. I’m absolutely charmed with the Meyer Lemon Ricotta Crepes! A fabulous post!

• Laura replied: — February 23rd, 2014 @ 10:42 am

Thank you, thank you!! I love anything with lemon. Can’t get enough.

What Jessica Baked Next... — February 22, 2014 @ 2:31 pm

LOVE crepes and filled with lemon ricotta that is pure heaven! :)

• Laura replied: — February 23rd, 2014 @ 10:41 am

Thanks so much Jessica!

Todd | HonestlyYUM — February 22, 2014 @ 9:12 pm

Laura!! These look INCREDIBLE. Best crepes I’ve seen in a looooong time. Just wow..

• Laura replied: — February 23rd, 2014 @ 10:40 am

Thanks Todd!! Means a lot ;)

Joanne — February 23, 2014 @ 8:24 am

Meyer lemons are my LOVES. And I’m so glad I recently mastered crepes (/bought a crepe maker) because these babies are HAPPENING. Breakfast-for-dinner tomorrow? I think yes.

• Laura replied: — February 23rd, 2014 @ 10:40 am

Woh woh woh. You bought a crepe maker?! Or is it a pan? I’m imagining a device that makes crepes for you and that sounds spectacular.

Amy — February 23, 2014 @ 5:53 pm

My Mum would love these! For as long as I can remember, when I have made pancakes or crepes on Sunday mornings Mum would dust hers with caster sugar and then squeeze them with lemon. I will have to make these for her very soon.
    Thank you for sharing, and your photos are simply stunning too!

ashley - baker by nature — February 24, 2014 @ 8:35 pm

Goooosh girl, these are just SO lovely!

Lily @ Life, Love, and Cupcakes — February 25, 2014 @ 1:59 pm

These are gorgeous! Absolutely perfect for Sunday morning breakfast in bed!

Emily {Rainbow Delicious} — February 27, 2014 @ 8:38 pm

These crepes look amazing and i especially can’t wait to try out the lemon ricotta filling! I featured your recipe in a recent sweet crepe recipe round up on my blog, thank you!

Allie | Baking a Moment — March 2, 2014 @ 8:55 pm

Oh my gosh, soooo pretty! And “whipped whole fat ricotta, Meyer lemon juice, zest, and sugar–folded into whipped cream”??? I think I’m in love!

Sarah@WholeAndHeavenlyOven — March 2, 2014 @ 9:09 pm

I love these crepes! So bright and spring-like which is exactly the kind of food I’m craving right now! pinned. :D

Milena — March 20, 2014 @ 2:37 am

This is such a delicious idea! Thank you so much for sharing!
    Your photos are beautiful :)
    I have made crepes with buckwheat and it also worked splendidly with the mayer lemony whipped ricotta. I’ve referenced your post on my blog, I hope you don’t mind!

1. Pingback: things that caught my eye this week/ three | guy and his girl