Grapefruit Mojitos

Grapefruit Mojitos | bloggingoverthyme.com

Happy Friday!  Let’s celebrate by drinking booze in the form of a grapefruit mojito.

I haven’t quite hit my grapefruit threshold yet, so hopefully you guys don’t mind the grapefruit overload.  Also-this is my first cocktail on the blog. What????!  It’s true.  You can go to the archives and check.  I did.

Twice.

Grapefruit Mojitos | bloggingoverthyme.com

There are two explanations for this.  The first is that I am a huge wimp when it comes to cocktails.  I’ve always been a wine and beer gal.  Always.  I appreciate good cocktails, but I usually just find them way too strong.  Again, I am a wimp.

I once tried a cocktail that was infused with jalapeno and I wanted to die (and I like spicy things).  Whiskey makes me gag.  Gin is my worst nightmare.  I just…can’t.  I’d much rather buy a pint of beer with the guys and call it a day.

Grapefruit Mojitos | bloggingoverthyme.com

So that and the fact that I know nothing about mixology are probably why you haven’t seen many boozy drinks around here.

That being said, there are a few cocktail staples that I can handle.  And actually enjoy!  Mojitos, magheritas, coronaritas (duh, beer), pina coladas, daiquiris, and anything involving Malibu or Kahlua.  Could I be more girly?  I doubt it.

Grapefruit Mojitos | bloggingoverthyme.com

Anyway, I came up with the idea for a grapefruit mojito the other day, and it just stuck.  Honestly, I’m pretty sure I could get on board with any cocktail that involves grapefruit–because I happen to love it that much–but the combination of the grapefruit, lime, and fresh mint goes so well together.

I chose to use ruby grapefruits for this drink and added both fresh juice (one ounce) and a chopped slice (to muddle with the lime and mint).  It had the added bonus of giving the cocktail the prettiest pale pink hue!

Pretty cocktails win.  Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Grapefruit Mojitos

Yield: 1 Mojito

• 1/2 lime, quartered
  • half moon, thin slice of grapefruit
  • 8-10 mint leaves
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 ounces white rum
  • 1 ounce freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
  • 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 2 ounces soda water
  • ice cubes

1. Combine the lime quarters, grapefruit slice, mint leaves, and sugar in a cocktail glass.  Muddle.
  2. Add the rum, grapefruit and lime juice, and stir together until sugar has dissolved.  Finish with club soda and one or two large ice cubes.

Grapefruit Mojitos | bloggingoverthyme.com

51 Responses to “Grapefruit Mojitos”

Averie @ Averie Cooks — February 28, 2014 @ 6:40 am

Your images blow me away, daily! pinned

And how fun was ‘cleanup’ after this shoot was over :) Twist your arm, right!

• Laura replied: — February 28th, 2014 @ 8:12 am

Wow!! Thank you! Yeah–cleanup wasn’t too shabby ;) And I made these way too early in the day, haha.

• Connor replied: — February 28th, 2014 @ 9:37 am

I took one for the team and enjoyed these during a “pre-lunch cocktail hour”, it’s always 5 o’clock somewhere right? :-)

Abby — February 28, 2014 @ 8:49 am

I can’t resist a good mojito! I love the twist of grapefruit, for some reason I’m thinking brunch needs to happen with lots of these!

• Laura replied: — March 1st, 2014 @ 3:52 pm

Oooh! That would be fun! Great idea!

Nicole ~ Cooking for Keeps — February 28, 2014 @ 8:50 am

It’s Fridayyyyyyy!!! And these are perfect way to wrap up the end of the week. I don’t discriminate against any cocktail, but these look extra special and so refreshing. Gorgeous pictures as always Laura!

• Laura replied: — March 1st, 2014 @ 3:53 pm

Definitely refreshing! Sort of reminiscent of Fresca, but obviously better and natural? If that makes sense, haha!

Saucy Spatula — February 28, 2014 @ 9:23 am

These images are UNBELIEVABLE!

Look at you! A chef with many hats!

Happy Friday, Laura :)

• Laura replied: — March 1st, 2014 @ 3:54 pm

You are SO sweet K! Thank you, thank you! Happy weekend!

pippa@popovertopippas — February 28, 2014 @ 9:37 am

Your adult version of the grapefruit juice that you used to drink EVERY SINGLE DAY accompanied by a plain bagel and cream cheese.

• Laura replied: — March 1st, 2014 @ 3:53 pm

Yeah, thank god I’ve branched out a bit with my food, haha.

Liz @ Virtually Homemade — February 28, 2014 @ 9:58 am

I love grapefruit everything (i mean even soap) the smell and taste are intoxicating! Tons of mint in my backyard so I am making these tonight :)

• Laura replied: — March 1st, 2014 @ 3:55 pm

Yes, me too. Grapefruit ANYTHING. Literally. Let me know if you tried them!!

Tieghan — February 28, 2014 @ 10:05 am

I know it is lame, but I don’t drink. BUT I would so do the virgin version! :) Give me all the colorful grapefruit! These are awesome!

• Laura replied: — March 1st, 2014 @ 3:54 pm

It’s not lame at all! Thanks Tieghan!!

Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner — February 28, 2014 @ 12:30 pm

I love mojitos! They’re super refreshing and my favorite in the summertime. I never thought to add grapefruit flavor to it but I adore the idea and definitely want to try it. :)

• Laura replied: — March 1st, 2014 @ 3:56 pm

Yeah! I realized that I posted these on an extremely cold day (at least where I am), but grapefruit is such a winter citrus that I couldn’t resist. Thanks Tina!

Christine @ Cooking with Cakes — February 28, 2014 @ 1:11 pm

this grapefruit photographed beautifully! love everything about this (esp the booze)

• Laura replied: — March 1st, 2014 @ 3:55 pm

Thank you so much Christine!

Michelle @ Mimisinthekitchen — February 28, 2014 @ 2:17 pm

Great pictures!!
    Love grapefruit as well, a little tart with sweet is always good. Oh yeah and the drink part!

• Laura replied: — March 1st, 2014 @ 3:56 pm

Thank you so much Michelle! Hope you have a great weekend!

Mom — February 28, 2014 @ 3:23 pm

Beautiful photos and they almost make me feel as though it is 80 degrees F outside instead of 22 degrees F!!!!! Lovely, and perfect for a viewing of the oscars this Sunday! Too bad Dad can’t have any of these!! I agree with Pippa, a grown-up version of your favorite childhood drink!

• Laura replied: — March 1st, 2014 @ 3:57 pm

Maybe you could make a version with orange juice for Dad?

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe — February 28, 2014 @ 5:07 pm

I totally have citrus cocktails on the brain too (I’m sharing a fresh citrus margarita on the blog today)! I can get down with anything grapefruit and aside from being undoubtedly delicious, these mojitos are SO pretty.

• Laura replied: — March 1st, 2014 @ 3:57 pm

Your margarita looks fab!! That was my second choice–I almost considered making one of those instead of a mojito. It’s good I didn’t–because yours looks a lot better. Thank you Amanda!

Sarah | The Sugar Hit — February 28, 2014 @ 8:53 pm

UGH, YES.

• Laura replied: — March 1st, 2014 @ 3:56 pm

UGH, I love you.

Sammy — February 28, 2014 @ 9:18 pm

Love that super sharp detail you caught of the grapefruit, mint, and bubbles against the glass! Looks delicious and refreshing.

• Laura replied: — March 1st, 2014 @ 6:17 pm

Thank you so much!

cheri — February 28, 2014 @ 9:40 pm

This looks so refreshing. Beautiful pics.

Adrienne @ Whole New Mom — March 1, 2014 @ 6:34 am

Just found you on G+ by chance. You have great work. You do need a G+ button on your blog :). Hope to connect again.

• Laura replied: — March 1st, 2014 @ 6:16 pm

Thanks Adrienne! I know, I really should–I am totally clueless when it comes to G+, I have to admit, but thanks for reminding me! :)

michelle — March 1, 2014 @ 11:52 am

i love mojitos and i hate beer and I can barely tolerate wine. So yeah to mojitos!!! thanks for this and i love your pictures!

• Laura replied: — March 1st, 2014 @ 3:58 pm

Wow! I can’t believe you hate wine! That might be the first time I’ve ever heard anyone say that before. These are definitely for you then! Thanks Michelle!

Kristi @ MSFK — March 1, 2014 @ 6:35 pm

OK, mojitos are my FAVORITE alcoholic drink, so I would totally LOVE these!! Great idea!

Joanne — March 2, 2014 @ 9:58 am

I’m so with you. Mojitos, margaritas, and anything sweet+girly are my drinks of choice. Martinis/anything with hard liquor just doesn’t work for my taste buds.

I am similarly grapefruit OBSESSSSSSEEEDD so totally adore these!

• Laura replied: — March 2nd, 2014 @ 3:48 pm

Ugh–I really want to like martinis and manhattans, but ew. Can’t handle them. Thanks Joanne!

Jessica @ Jessiker Bakes — March 3, 2014 @ 3:52 pm

These mojitos sound so tasty and refreshing. I love the photographs!

Shelley @ Two Healthy Kitchens — March 4, 2014 @ 8:45 am

Beautiful x 100. Seriously – who else could elevate a bottle of booze in a brown paper bag to the status of art?!?!? :D I love the concept of grapefruit meeting a mojito. It’s like the very best of winter combined with one of the summeriest drinks I can think of – just the refreshing boost we need to push us through this never-ending winter!!

Pam — March 4, 2014 @ 12:53 pm

Mojitos are my very favorite drink… I’ve never thought to use grapefruit! They look fantastic.

Melanie — March 5, 2014 @ 1:28 pm

These look SO amazing, Laura! Pinned.

So glad to have found your blog through the BHG awards.

• Laura replied: — March 5th, 2014 @ 11:06 pm

Thank you so much Melanie! Congrats again! And thanks for visiting!

Russell from Chasing Delicious — August 21, 2014 @ 6:53 pm

My oh my this is a phenomenal cocktail. How delicious!

Lisette Gomez — September 24, 2014 @ 1:11 pm

Amazing pictures!! Congratulations from Spain.

1. Pingback: Grapefruit Mojitos | Food | Recipe Flash | Your all in one Recipe and Cooking News website

2. Pingback: Week 41 : Links I Adore