Rhubarb Meringue Cups

Rhubarb Meringue Cups | bloggingoverthyme.com

Are you currently in a post-Oscars haze? I know I am.  Not a year goes by where I don’t end up watching the entire thing start to finish.

The pre-carpet countdown (do they literally add another countdown every year? this is getting absurd), Red Carpet countdown, obviously the show itself, and the E! Fashion Police show the night after.  It is essentially a 24-hour TV marathon.

Rhubarb Meringue Cups | bloggingoverthyme.com

Rhubarb is the fruit equivalent of the Oscars for me.

It’s fleeting, only comes around once a year, and it totally sucks me in every time.  The minute it appears at the farmer’s markets or in the grocery stores, I cannot resist it.  Even if it does occasionally cost a small fortune.

Rhubarb Meringue Cups | bloggingoverthyme.com

It is essentially the only spring fruit (fruit vegetable?)–and it serves as a reminder that summer isn’t too far away.  Although, even mentioning the word summer sounds crazy since we are currently in the thick of a massive winter snow storm at this very moment.

While I was growing up, my mom would always buy rhubarb and make it into a compote–and eat it plain, on top of yogurt, or turn it into a crisp or other delicious dessert.

Rhubarb Meringue Cups | bloggingoverthyme.com

I can honestly say that there was a decent chunk of time, at least when I was very young, where I just didn’t get rhubarb at all.

Now I love it.  If I could eat rhubarb every day, I probably would.  For some reason, the texture really appeals to me (it sort of melts in your mouth) and it is just so tart.  Give me all of the tart foods.

Rhubarb Meringue Cups | bloggingoverthyme.com

So when I saw rhubarb at the grocery store the other day, I had to have it (see above).  The next step was coming up with a recipe idea.

I’ve been dying to create a dessert that incorporates meringue, some sort of flavored whipped cream, and fresh fruit for months and months.  Please don’t ask why it has taken this long–I have no idea.

Rhubarb Meringue Cups | bloggingoverthyme.com

These rhubarb meringue cups were the result!  Did you know that you can make (edible) meringue cups and fill them with all sorts of things?  It’s an amazing thing.

I love rhubarb, but these meringue cups stole the show for me.  They’re just so…dainty and cute.

Rhubarb Meringue Cups | bloggingoverthyme.com

I know they look finicky–but they are not at all.  It simply requires piping meringue in concentric circles (and building up the sides to form a shell).  The one caveat is that they do require a long baking time at a very low temperature.  The long and low temperature cook time ensures that they will dry out thoroughly and become the true, light and crisp meringues that we all know and love.

I ended up filling the meringue cups with simple roasted rhubarb (roasting helps retain the rhubarb’s shape) and a simple vanilla bean whipped cream that was infused with the teeniest amount of Grand Marnier.

Can we make it a rule to always start Mondays off with meringue cups?

Rhubarb Meringue Cups

Yield: 6 Servings

Cook Time: 2 hours and 30 minutes

Total Time: 3 hours and 15 minutes

Meringue Cups:

• 4 egg whites, room temperature
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste

Roasted Rhubarb:

• 1 lb rhubarb, cut into 1 inch pieces.
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon orange zest

Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream:

• 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
  • 1/2 teaspoon Grand Marnier liquor (optional)

Prepare Meringue Cups:

1. Preheat the oven to 225 degrees Fahrenheit.  Using a large glass, trace six large circles (roughly 3 inches in diameter) on a large sheet of parchment paper.  Place parchment paper on a large baking sheet--pencil side facing down.
  2. Place the egg whites in the bowl (clean and free of any grease) of stand mixer, fitted with a whisk attachment.  Whisk over low speed for 1-2 minutes, or until egg whites are foamy.  Increase speed to medium and continue to whisk for an additional 1-2 minutes.  Slowly start sprinkling in the granulated sugar, while continuing to whisk at medium speed.  Increase speed to high and whisk until meringue reaches a stiff peak.
  3. Whisk in the vanilla bean paste. Place the meringue in a pastry bag fitted with a star tip.
  4. Starting in the center of the circle, pipe a layer (roughly 1/2" thick) of meringue.  Trace the edges of the circle four times to form the sides of the meringue cups.  Repeat until all meringue cups are formed.
  5. Immediately (and carefully) place the meringue in the oven and bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes.  Once baked, turn off the oven and allow meringues to dry in the warm oven for an additional 20-30 minutes.  Meringue should be crispy, hard, and not sticky.  If the meringue is wet or sticky (which can depend on humidity levels), allow them to bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
  6. Remove the meringue cups from the parchment paper and set aside.

Roast Rhubarb:

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.  Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.  Toss the rhubarb with the sugar, orange juice, and zest.   Allow mixture to sit for 10-15 minutes to macerate.
  2. Roast the rhubarb for 15-20 minutes, or until it is cooked through, but can still retain its shape.  Remove and allow to cool completely.

Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream:

1. Combine the heavy cream, powdered sugar, Grand Marnier, and vanilla bean paste.  Whip to soft peaks.

Assembly:

1. Right before serving, fill the meringue cups with whipped cream and top with roasted rhubarb pieces.  Garnish with orange zest.  Serve immediately.

Meringue shells can be prepared up to a day or two in advance and kept in an airtight container at room temperature (preferably with a silica gel pack to keep moisture out).

Roasted rhubarb inspired by Dorie Greenspan.

Rhubarb Meringue Cups | bloggingoverthyme.com

47 Responses to “Rhubarb Meringue Cups”

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — March 3, 2014 @ 7:21 am

Absolutely GORGEOUS photos!
    I didn’t watch the oscars, but I know how you feel about rhubarb. My husband is totally rhubarb obsessed…he is gonna LOVE these!
    Pinned!

• Laura replied: — March 3rd, 2014 @ 8:52 pm

I should probably watch LESS of the Oscars, but I can’t help it. It’s my favorite award show. Thanks for sharing Taylor!

Marie @ Little Kitchie — March 3, 2014 @ 8:33 am

Rhubarb!!! Oh, I love it so. These are just gorgeous!

• Laura replied: — March 3rd, 2014 @ 8:53 pm

Me too, I wish it stuck around longer. Thanks for visiting Marie!

ashley - baker by nature — March 3, 2014 @ 9:01 am

These are amazing, girl! I’m definitely in the Oscars haze too. But I kinda like it ;)

• Laura replied: — March 3rd, 2014 @ 8:52 pm

Yeah, it’s not too shabby. Especially since I ended up having a work from home day today due to snow/ice.

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — March 3, 2014 @ 9:32 am

These are beautiful! I never cook enough with rhubarb! Can’t wait to try!

• Laura replied: — March 3rd, 2014 @ 8:53 pm

Thank you friend! Hope you had a great day!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — March 3, 2014 @ 9:34 am

I watched it tooooo! It was such a good show, Ellen was perfect… just like these rhubarb cups! Seriously stunning Laura!

• Laura replied: — March 3rd, 2014 @ 8:51 pm

I LOVE ELLEN! :) Thanks Laurie!!

Adrienne | Appetites Anonymous — March 3, 2014 @ 10:11 am

These meringue cups are flawless!!!!

• Laura replied: — March 3rd, 2014 @ 6:02 pm

Thank you, thank you!

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen — March 3, 2014 @ 10:19 am

This is a total red carpet worthy dessert….absolutely stunning! I cannot wait to find rhubarb here!

• Laura replied: — March 3rd, 2014 @ 6:02 pm

Aww, thanks! :) Hope your day went well!

Norma | Allspice and Nutmeg — March 3, 2014 @ 10:28 am

Beautiful photos. I love your little meringue cups. And the rhubarb looks gorgeous as well. You’ve inspired me to try rhubarb.

• Laura replied: — March 3rd, 2014 @ 6:02 pm

You have to try it!! Especially if you like tart things.

pippa@popovertopippas — March 3, 2014 @ 11:01 am

mmmmmm, reminds me of england for some reason.

• Laura replied: — March 3rd, 2014 @ 6:01 pm

Me too, actually!

annie @ chase that i love — March 3, 2014 @ 11:12 am

I haven’t had rhubarb in forever and now I’ve got some made cravings for it. This looks so superb!

• Laura replied: — March 3rd, 2014 @ 6:01 pm

Thanks so much Annie!

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe — March 3, 2014 @ 12:29 pm

These look so beautiful! I can’t wait until I can get my hands on some rhubarb, as it’s one of my favorites too.

• Laura replied: — March 3rd, 2014 @ 6:00 pm

I was really surprised to find it this early, but couldn’t resist when I did!

cheri — March 3, 2014 @ 1:25 pm

What lovely pics! I’ve only had rhubarb with strawberries. These look so delicate, I bet they are incredible. What a way to celebrate the Oscars.

• Laura replied: — March 3rd, 2014 @ 8:50 pm

I love rhubarb with strawberries (or raspberries), but it’s also great on it’s own! You just need to compensate by adding a bit more sugar. Thanks Cheri!

Nicole ~ Cooking for Keeps — March 3, 2014 @ 2:00 pm

I love rhubarb! I haven’t seen it yet in grocery stores here, but I’m going to snatch it up when I do. These are the perfect introductory spring dessert, and are totally getting me excited for warmer weather.

• Laura replied: — March 3rd, 2014 @ 8:51 pm

This was the first time I’ve seen it–and I was so excited that I had to have it. I felt a little ridiculous though considering the snow/ice today, haha! Thanks Nicole!

DessertForTwo — March 3, 2014 @ 2:50 pm

First, I just have to say that your photos absolutely took my breath away. Seriously gorgeous. So inspiring!

I adore rhubarb so much. I can’t wait to make this.

• Laura replied: — March 3rd, 2014 @ 6:00 pm

Thank you so much Christina! I had a lot of fun shooting these, I have to admit.

Glad you’re a fellow rhubarb lover! :)

Jessica @ Jessiker Bakes — March 3, 2014 @ 3:54 pm

Your photos are stunning! These meringue cups look fabulous. I watched the Oscars too; I totally loved it!

• Laura replied: — March 3rd, 2014 @ 8:50 pm

Me too! Thanks Jessica!

Joanne — March 3, 2014 @ 10:57 pm

I love the analogy…rhubarb is SO the Oscars (but in fruit form). These are masterpieces! I would have voted for them for Best Picture. For sure.

• Laura replied: — March 4th, 2014 @ 10:43 pm

Thank you, thank you! :)

Tieghan — March 3, 2014 @ 11:40 pm

Why have I never had rhubarb?? Up until last year I never knew it existed, but this is the year I need to try it! Can you eat it raw? Or is it a cook only fruit?

Regardless, these look so delicious and I to have been wanting to make Meringue. I think it is time for both!

• Laura replied: — March 4th, 2014 @ 6:57 pm

Whaaaatt?! This has to change! I’ve had pickled rhubarb before (in a salad), but no, you definitely don’t want to eat it raw. Roast it or simmer it to make a compote. Or you can chop it and put it in a pie :)

Karen @ The Food Charlatan — March 4, 2014 @ 2:59 am

That rhubarb is GORGEOUS! Such a pretty color! You did an amazing job photographing it. But even aside from the photos and composition, that is just a fantastic color for rhubarb. Usually the stuff I get it half green. I’m obsessed with meringue right now, and rhubarb rules, so I’m definitely trying this soon :)

• Laura replied: — March 4th, 2014 @ 10:48 pm

I know the feeling of getting green rhubarb–it tastes so good, but I love when it’s bright red/pink! And luckily, that was all that I found at the store. Thank you so much Karen!

Tracy | Peanut Butter and Onion — March 4, 2014 @ 8:27 am

I loooove rhubarb, especially with strawberries. I have never made meringue, is it really hard?

• Laura replied: — March 4th, 2014 @ 10:50 pm

No! Not at all :) The most important thing is to have room temperature egg whites, whisk them slowly at first, and gradually add the sugar. Other than that, it’s fairly foolproof.

Thanks Tracy!

Christine @ Cooking with Cakes — March 4, 2014 @ 1:39 pm

these pictures are gorgeous girrrl!! the food literally leaps off the screen, loving this so much

• Laura replied: — March 4th, 2014 @ 10:50 pm

You are so sweet! Thanks Christine!

Ashley — March 4, 2014 @ 11:28 pm

Whaaat! These are amazing. Blown away by the creativity and your photos.

• Laura replied: — March 5th, 2014 @ 11:02 pm

You are SO sweet! xo

melissa! — March 7, 2014 @ 1:39 pm

Would it be easy to turn this Meringue chocolately? I’m not a fan of rhubarb but I love the idea of doing this with strawberries or raspberries and chocolate!

• Laura replied: — March 7th, 2014 @ 9:44 pm

You could definitely add cocoa powder to the meringues to make them chocolaty. Or alternatively, you could make a chocolate whipped cream and just top it with raspberries/or really any berry! That sounds equally as delicious to me ;) Let me know if you try it!

Denise — March 11, 2014 @ 7:29 am

So, so pretty! And that first shot with the whisk: just wanna lick my screen. Love it!

1. Pingback: Toasted Coconut Meringue Nests Recipe - The Corner Kitchen

2. Pingback: 10+ Delicious Ways You Should Be Eating Rhubarb - The Corner Kitchen