Ginger Ice Cream with Chocolate Bits

Ginger Ice Cream with Chocolate Bits | bloggingoverthyme.com

It’s that time of year!

And by that I mean that I’ve already complained about it being too hot. Feel free to hate me. I think my body is struggling to recover from the winter that we just had. I need time to adjust! Temperatures over 80 degrees feel like a heat wave. Don’t get me wrong, it felt wonderful outside!

If I could live outdoors, I’d be happy as a clam right now.

Ginger Ice Cream with Chocolate Bits | bloggingoverthyme.com

But inside (in my apartment building which is officially set to ‘heat’ radiator mode), I’m…not so thrilled. My cooking willpower drops down to nil when my kitchen is over 80 degrees. Turning on the oven feels like torture.

So I did what any normal person would do under the circumstances.

I made ice cream. But not just any ice cream. Ginger ice cream with chocolate bits.

Ginger Ice Cream with Chocolate Bits | bloggingoverthyme.com

So maybe there is something to be said about being uncomfortably hot in your own home. All roads hot apartments lead to ice cream.

And this is definitely not your average ice cream! If you’ve never had ginger ice cream before, you’re in for a pleasant surprise.

Like many other ice creams, this one starts off with simple custard base made with milk, eggs, and sugar, which is then infused with fresh ginger.  And not just a little bit of ginger…about 1/4 cup of packed grated ginger.

Ginger Ice Cream with Chocolate Bits | bloggingoverthyme.com

I tend to be easily overwhelmed by desserts that are too ginger-y in flavor–but I can promise that this ice cream does not fit into that category.

It has a strong, distinguishable ginger flavor that finishes with just a touch of spiciness, yet it is not at all overpowering. It is definitely different and unique, but it could easily gobble up a big bowl of this stuff!

The fresh ginger has the added effect of making this ice cream incredibly refreshing as well. Similar to that of a fresh mint ice cream. The addition of finely chopped bittersweet chocolate bits, while optional in theory, adds such great texture and flavor to every spoonful that I can’t really imagine this ice cream any other way.

Ginger Ice Cream with Chocolate Bits

Yield: 1 Quart

• 1/3 cup water
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/4 cup packed coarsely grated ginger
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 3 large egg yolks
  • 1 cup cold half and half (or heavy cream)
  • 1 teaspoon freshly squeeze lemon juice
  • 1.5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped

1. Combine the water and 1/4 of the sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a low simmer and stir until sugar has dissolved completely. Add the grated ginger and bring mixture to a simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
  2. In a separate large saucepan, combine 2 tablespoons of sugar with the milk. Bring to a simmer and stir until the sugar has dissolved complete.y Remove from heat and add the ginger simple syrup. Stir to combine, cover the pot, and allow mixture to infuse for 20 minutes.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar and remaining 1/4 of sugar aggressively until the mixture is thick and pale yellow in color. It should fall from the whisk in thick ribbons (otherwise known as ribbon stage).
  4. Once milk and ginger mixture has infused, return mixture to heat until scalded (just below boiling point). Temper the milk mixture slowly into the eggs, whisking continuously. Return mixture to pot and cook over low heat, stirring continuously, until custard coats the back of a wooden spoon or temperature reaches 180 degrees Fahrenheit.
  5. Place the half and half in a large, clean bowl over an ice bath and set a fine-meshed sieve over the bowl. Pour the ice cream base through the sieve into the cold half and half. Press down the ginger into the sieve to extract as much flavor as possible.
  6. Allow the ice cream base to cool completely, stirring occasionally. Refrigerate base overnight (or at minimum, until it is very cold).
  7. Just before freezing, stir in the lemon juice and mix well. Freeze the ice cream according to your ice cream maker's manufacturer's directions. Right before the ice cream is finishing churning, add the chocolate bits.
  8. Place the ice cream in an airtight container and cover the surface with plastic wrap. Freeze for 4-6 hours or until firm.
  9. Allow ice cream to soften just slightly before serving.

Feel free to substitute the half and half with heavy cream, if you prefer or already have this on hand. However, half and half results in an incredibly creamy ice cream with just a touch less guilt!

Adapted from Fresh Ginger Ice Cream by Barbara Tropp, China Moon Cookbook.

P.S. I’m pretty sure this ice cream would be amazing in a root beer float! Yep, that should definitely happen.

41 Responses to “Ginger Ice Cream with Chocolate Bits”

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — April 14, 2014 @ 6:34 am

Love! Laura, I’m mad about ginger and love chocolate. Together in ice cream is like a dream come true. Thank you for sharing and have a great week!

• Laura replied: — April 14th, 2014 @ 8:10 am

Thanks so much Stacy! I’m so surprised I haven’t seen a ginger and chocolate ice cream before now that I think about it!

Sarah | The Sugar Hit — April 14, 2014 @ 8:05 am

I LOVE ginger and chocolate, but I’ve never seen them together in ice cream. Which is weird, cause they seem perfect together!

• Laura replied: — April 14th, 2014 @ 9:38 pm

Yes. WEIRD. So glad I remedied that.

ashley - baker by nature — April 14, 2014 @ 8:14 am

Holy gorgeous, lady! This is my dream ice cream!!!

• Laura replied: — April 14th, 2014 @ 9:39 pm

Thanks Ashley! :)

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen — April 14, 2014 @ 8:18 am

I made the cray cray decision (that will never ever happen again) to give up ice ream for Lent. I regretted it about 1 day in, and needless to say I’m counting down the minutes until ice cream reenters my life. Also, next Sunday I have a date with my ice cream maker and this ginger ice cream situation!

• Laura replied: — April 14th, 2014 @ 9:37 pm

Oh noooo. This is so sad.

Yayy! Let me know the outcome.

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — April 14, 2014 @ 8:30 am

I see a root beer float in the near future. I’ve never added ginger to my ice cream but they might need to change soon.

• Laura replied: — April 14th, 2014 @ 9:36 pm

I need to go out and buy root beer to try this myself! I have a feeling it would be amazing.

Tieghan — April 14, 2014 @ 8:46 am

Ok, I kind of hate you. 80 degrees!! It’s snowing here and A LOT and it’s freezing. Ugh. However, I would still devour this ice cream. Looks so good!

• Laura replied: — April 14th, 2014 @ 6:44 pm

HA! I totally predicted this. I can’t believe it is still snowing where you are! I feel like I live on a different planet. I’m sure I will be jealous once the temperature goes about 90 degrees (as crazy as that may sound).

Baby June — April 14, 2014 @ 9:37 am

Oh wow, this is just perfect! Ginger + dark chocolate is one of my favorite flavor combos–what a great way to ring in the warmer seasons! :)

• Laura replied: — April 14th, 2014 @ 9:37 pm

Thank you!!

Liz@Virtually Homemade — April 14, 2014 @ 9:54 am

This ice cream looks amazing no matter the temperature!!!

• Laura replied: — April 14th, 2014 @ 6:43 pm

That’s the spirit! :)

pippa@popovertopippas — April 14, 2014 @ 10:09 am

Looks delicious. We made ice cream for the first time this weekend, just vanilla, but it was sooooo good.

• Laura replied: — April 14th, 2014 @ 6:43 pm

I saw the pictures and was wondering what flavor you made! Brian will have to make pistachio–there is a really good recipe in Jeni’s cookbook if you want me to send it to you!

Nicole ~ Cooking for Keeps — April 14, 2014 @ 1:24 pm

I’ve never had ginger ice cream before, but I know I’d love it. This looks so good! I totally could have used this Saturday when I was sweating my butt off in the heat. Would have been so refreshing! And yes yes yes to root beer floats with this. What a combo.

• Laura replied: — April 14th, 2014 @ 9:38 pm

I had never had it before either, but it is ridiculously refreshing. I was sort of blown away by how much I wanted to eat in one sitting. Ugh!!! Are you dying of the heat too? I need AC already!

Maria | Pink Patisserie — April 14, 2014 @ 10:37 pm

Seriously gorgeous! Ginger in ice cream with chocolate sounds heavenly!!

• Laura replied: — April 14th, 2014 @ 11:43 pm

Thanks so much Maria!

ATasteOfMadness — April 14, 2014 @ 11:11 pm

Haha.. I am never hot. But I am always craving ice cream! I actually went on an “ice cream crawl” the other day. This sounds divine!

• Laura replied: — April 14th, 2014 @ 11:43 pm

I am ALWAYS hot! Haha! Seriously. I have a problem.

Also–omg! Ice cream crawl?! Where do I sign up?

Joanne — April 14, 2014 @ 11:19 pm

The only good thing about stiflingly hot weather is ice cream season! Not that I don’t eat ice cream year round because DOH.

I had a ginger ice cream last summer that UNREAL AWESOME. I can’t wait to try this homemade version!!

• Laura replied: — April 14th, 2014 @ 11:44 pm

Yes, that IS the only good thing about hot weather. Oooh! Wish I could try that kind that you had and compare! You’ll have to make this one and let me know! :)

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — April 15, 2014 @ 9:56 am

WOW! This ice cream is stunning. And I kind of need it. And it’s so hot here already, I could totally use a bowl!

• Laura replied: — April 15th, 2014 @ 9:44 pm

Thanks so much Dorothy!! It dropped from 80 degrees this weekend to about 30 degrees right now–NUTS! I have to say, I’m sort of happy because my apartment is cool again, HA.

Carol at Wild Goose Tea — April 15, 2014 @ 3:42 pm

Tasting ginger ice cream is more than a pleasant surprise, it’s awesome. Its not a flavor you regularly encounter. We have a local ice cream company that custom makes that flavor. It’s subtle and wonderful.
    Thank you for a recipe!!!!

• Laura replied: — April 15th, 2014 @ 9:48 pm

Ooh wow! I haven’t seen it before at an ice cream store (maybe it is too strange for some to swallow?), but it is one of my favorites now! Thanks Carol!

sue/the view from great island — April 15, 2014 @ 9:07 pm

I’m so excited by unusual ice cream flavors, I’ve never one with ginger, and the bittersweet chocolate flecks are pure genius!

• Laura replied: — April 15th, 2014 @ 9:47 pm

Me too! Unusual ice cream flavors are my favorite thing in the world. Thanks Sue!

Jessica @ Jessiker Bakes — April 15, 2014 @ 11:41 pm

I love the flavour combinations you used in this recipe. I should make this for Mr. Jessiker Bakes i’m sure he’ll love this!!!!

Jessica @ Jessiker Bakes — April 16, 2014 @ 4:55 am

By the way, I forgot to say that I am so complaining about the weather too, so don’t feel bad! In case you have too much ginger ice cream (I DOUBT you could have “too much ice cream”) I’m here to take the load off ! :)

Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life — April 16, 2014 @ 7:31 am

True that! There is nothing more unbearable than feeling hot and stuffy – ice cream is the cure all! Especially the ginger AND chocolate together; sounds amazing!

• Laura replied: — April 17th, 2014 @ 9:19 am

YES! It is the WORST.

Thanks for visiting Mary!

Laura@Baking in Pyjamas — April 20, 2014 @ 10:47 am

This sounds so yummy, I’ve got about 15 egg yolks in my freezer that need using up so this is certainly a possibility.

• Laura replied: — April 22nd, 2014 @ 8:00 am

Perfect!! Let me know if you try it!

1. Pingback: Currently Crushing On. | How Sweet It Is