Spicy Peanut Ginger Drumsticks

Spicy Peanut Ginger Drumsticks

So I may or may not have smashed an entire bottle of sriracha on my kitchen floor while making these.

I can practically hear you saying, “But those bottles are made of plastic?” Why yes, yes they are. And yet somehow I was still able to smash it directly on the dispenser spout.

Sriracha explosion.

Everywhere.

Spicy Peanut Ginger Drumsticks

It was painful. I was wiping splattered sriracha off practically every surface within a ten foot radius. Every kitchen cabinet crevice. Did I mention that I had just bought that bottle less than 24 hours prior to this…incident?

I also woke up the next morning to discover dried sriracha on my foot.

Fun times.

Spicy Peanut Ginger Drumsticks

These spicy peanut ginger drumsticks were definitely a labor of love. Literally and figuratively.

Baked drumsticks can be a bit tricky. If you don’t marinate them long enough or season the marinade aggressively, you can end up with lackluster flavor. Or worse, all the deliciousness is on the outside and the inside is bland and flavorless.

And that is never a good thing.

Spicy Peanut Ginger Drumsticks

These drumsticks are far from bland due to two important steps: a) they are marinated for over 24 hours (this is crucial, 2-3 hours is not nearly enough), b) they are baked in the marinade, which results in a thick , glazes and contributes to the overall flavor even more.

Bonus? You can prep these the night before and have dinner ready on the table in less than 40 minutes.

They have a lot going for them. I had to play favorites when it came to naming the dish, but all of the ingredients are equal players. Lime, ginger, black bean garlic sauce, soy, peanut, sesame oil, and spicy sriracha. The list goes on and on. Then I went crazy and topped them with more crushed peanuts, black sesame seeds, scallions, cilantro and even more lime juice.

Texture heaven.

Spicy Peanut Ginger Drumsticks

Yield: 3-4 Servings

Prep Time: 10 minutes (plus marinating time)

• 1/3 cup soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons black bean garlic sauce
  • 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter
  • juice of 1 lime
  • 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
  • 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
  • 1 tablespoon sriracha
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1/4  cup low-sodium chicken broth
  • handful of cilantro stems, washed
  • 6-8 large chicken drumsticks (roughly 1.5 - 2 lb)
  • kosher salt
  • 1-2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
  • roasted unsalted peanuts, crushed
  • cilantro leaves
  • fresh lime wedges
  • green onions, finely sliced

1. Whisk the soy sauce, black bean garlic sauce, peanut butter, lime juice, sesame oil, ginger, sriracha, sugar, cilantro stems and chicken broth in a large bowl. Add the drumsticks and coat them evenly in the marinade.
  2. Transfer marinade and drumsticks to a large Ziploc bag, removing as much air as possible. Place bag in a small baking dish or baking sheet and marinade for 24 hours in the fridge.
  3. Remove the drumsticks from the fridge, and allow to them to rest at room temperature for at least 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the chicken drumsticks along with the marinade in a medium ovenproof baking dish.
  4. Bake for roughly 30 to 40 minutes, turning the drumsticks every 10 or 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature reads 165 degrees Fahrenheit.  Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
  5. Sprinkle the drumsticks with toasted sesame seeds. Serve the drumsticks with crushed peanuts, fresh cilantro, fresh lime, and sliced green onions as desired.

52 Responses to “Spicy Peanut Ginger Drumsticks”

Sues — May 22, 2014 @ 6:31 am

Shattering a bottle of sriracha on the floor is so something I would do, so I feel for you! Hopefully it doesn’t turn you off the stuff forever :) Even though it’s only 6:30 a.m., I can almost taste how awesome the flavors in this dish would be… And I love it!!

• Laura replied: — May 23rd, 2014 @ 8:23 am

Thanks Sues!! I will always love sriracha :)

Abigail — May 22, 2014 @ 6:48 am

OMg this looks so good! And sorry about your sriracha!

Rachel — May 22, 2014 @ 8:30 am

Wow these look incredibly good!! So many yummy flavors. Seems like the mess was a small sacrifice (easy to say for someone who did not have to clean it up) :-)

Tieghan — May 22, 2014 @ 8:36 am

I am not really a drumstick girl, BUT these look amazing!! I will love any that is covered in peanut butter, ginger and sriracha, it is totally my thing!

• Laura replied: — May 23rd, 2014 @ 8:22 am

I’m not usually either (unless they are braised)! Thanks Tieghan!

Mimi — May 22, 2014 @ 9:36 am

What a mess! But the drumsticks look incredible!!!

• Laura replied: — May 23rd, 2014 @ 8:24 am

Mess is an understatement, ha! Thanks Mimi!

Jennifer @ Seasons and Suppers — May 22, 2014 @ 9:44 am

Sorry about your Sriracha, but these sound delicious. Love the flavours!

Liz@Virtually Homemade — May 22, 2014 @ 10:00 am

24 hours – I’m definitely giving that a try. And I love the crushed peanuts on top for even more flavor! Sorry about the sriracha :(

Christine @ Cooking with Cakes — May 22, 2014 @ 11:46 am

oh man Laura I have SO made a mess like that before. one time when I was baking (not my forte to begin with lol) I was going to take a prep pic from a weird angle and my elbow swiped a FULL bag of flour onto the kitchen floor, it was a freakin’ mess!!! I think we’ve all had these unfortunate instances ;)

anyway, this chicken looks FAB! love drumsticks, they are my fav poultry part :)

Molly @Doughvelopment — May 22, 2014 @ 12:55 pm

These look fantastic! Especially that sticky sauce!

And ouff that clean-up sounds like no fun! I once made homemade nutella, not an easy feat if you have to do the hazelnuts yourself, and when opening the jar the next day it flew out of my hands and shattered on the floor. I never got to even taste it!

• Laura replied: — May 22nd, 2014 @ 3:07 pm

Such a sad story :(

Krista — May 22, 2014 @ 1:59 pm

Do you HAVE to use to black bean sauce? I have every other ingredient in my kitchen right now, but that one. Any suggestions?

• Laura replied: — May 22nd, 2014 @ 3:07 pm

Hi Krista! It definitely adds a lot of flavor to the sauce–it probably won’t be quite the same, but I think as long as you marinade it for the same amount of time, it should still be good! Let me know!

pippa@popovertopippas — May 22, 2014 @ 2:57 pm

This looks so good Laura, I’m excited to make these myself! Did you take a picture of your kitchen splattered in Sriracha? I would love to see those photos. Connor must have thought you were a nut (and Max was probably freaked out).

• Laura replied: — May 22nd, 2014 @ 3:09 pm

Connor was really not happy, mostly because I broke the spout and there was still some left, so it won’t pour properly. I was too busy with clean up for photos! But it was messy…

Helen @ Scrummy Lane — May 22, 2014 @ 4:32 pm

Could you have made these photos any more gorgeous? Nope, don’t think so. The chicken sounds (and looks, especially) absolutely divine.
    I totally sympathise with your sriracha ‘incident’ as I have had THREE such similar ‘incidents’ within the last few weeks. Number one was coffee up a freshly-painted wall, number 2 was a whole unopened bottle of wine smashed on the floor and number 3 beer all over my dad’s fish and chips. Oops.

• Laura replied: — May 23rd, 2014 @ 8:22 am

Aww, thanks girl! :) Oh no! I’ve never spilled on a freshly painted wall. That sounds horrible! I would be devastated if I was your dad too, ha!

cheri — May 22, 2014 @ 7:33 pm

Oh this looks wonderful! your presentation is perfect!

ami@naivecookcooks — May 22, 2014 @ 8:12 pm

I am going to try your recipe! I myself hate when drumsticks come out flavorful outside but as soon as you dig deep in, it is bland!

Sarah | The Sugar Hit — May 22, 2014 @ 9:46 pm

Love it! This is exactly the kind of thing I love to eat. All the time always. Even with a sriracha explosion, which I totally empathise with you on.

Matt Robinson — May 23, 2014 @ 2:29 am

Love the flavoring, Laura. This looks AMAZING!

• Laura replied: — May 23rd, 2014 @ 8:21 am

Thanks so much Matt! And congratulations!!! These past few days must have been very exciting for you and your family.

cynthia — May 23, 2014 @ 8:53 am

These look so. spectacular. I can’t even handle it. All my favorite flavors in one delicious dish? Ahh. That first photo makes me want to smash my face into the computer screen. Such woe over that Sriracha bottle, Laura (and it is SO something that I would do too so I know the pain….) These drumsticks look like they’d make anything better, though :):) Thanks so much for sharing this!

• Laura replied: — May 26th, 2014 @ 11:22 am

Haha! Thanks Cynthia!

Maggie — May 23, 2014 @ 11:25 am

Love the idea of using Asian seasoning and baking in oven. The peanuts make the chicken even better!

Eleanna — May 23, 2014 @ 4:13 pm

Hi Laura! I’ve no idea what sriracha is, but sure sounds messy! On the other hand, your recipe is impressive. I’ve never been much at home with chicken drumsticks, because, just as you say, they can be bland in taste, but this recipe looks, well looks as if the whole of Thai/Asian cuisine came together in a plate! I just have to try it. Thanks for sharing it!

• Laura replied: — May 26th, 2014 @ 11:22 am

It is a really popular American (but Asian influenced) hot sauce! Let me know if you try it :)

Krista — May 24, 2014 @ 4:43 pm

I made this last night and it was sooo good! The MOST flavorful chicken. Going to make this again next week.

• Laura replied: — May 26th, 2014 @ 11:20 am

So glad you liked it Krista!!! Thanks so much for the feedback!

Farah @ The Cooking Jar — May 24, 2014 @ 9:15 pm

I loved your intro :) Just added you to bloglovin because of the Sriracha explosion. The recipe also has a lot going for it with all those ingredients although I never imagined black sesame seeds on this kind of chicken!

• Laura replied: — May 26th, 2014 @ 11:21 am

Thank you! :)

Joanne — May 24, 2014 @ 9:58 pm

Oh no, that poor bottle of sriracha! So sad. And poor you for having to clean it up! Somehow the more in a rush/hungry I am the more likely it is that I will spill something EVERYWHERE or break a glass.

These drumsticks are a party in every bite!

Millie l Add A Little — May 25, 2014 @ 3:58 am

Yes yes YEEESSSSS!!! These look so delicious – I am craving that crunch from peanuts mmm! Great post and beautiful photos!

• Laura replied: — May 26th, 2014 @ 11:21 am

Thanks so much Millie!

ATasteOfMadness — May 25, 2014 @ 7:35 pm

This looks fantastic! I am all about chicken drumsticks :)

Carol at Wild Goose Tea — May 26, 2014 @ 5:13 pm

Wow, I like the idea of marinating them that long—-great make ahead dish. Then pop them in the oven when your guests are there. No muss or fuss in the kitchen. Its something different too.

Jen — May 27, 2014 @ 8:31 pm

I’m in the process of making these but can’t get cilantro until tomorrow. Do you think the marinade will suffer without the cilantro stems?

• Laura replied: — May 27th, 2014 @ 9:12 pm

Hi Jen! I don’t think that will be a big problem at all! Definitely let me know how they turn out :)

Jen — May 29, 2014 @ 9:02 pm

They turned out incredible! I’ll definitely try the cilantro stems the next time (just to use them up) but they were great without. Sprinkling with cilantro was perfect! I think I may try to double it or triple it for an upcoming family dinner. Great make ahead recipe!

• Laura replied: — May 29th, 2014 @ 10:36 pm

That’s so great!! I’m so happy to hear that you liked them! Thanks for letting me know! :)

Tasha — June 18, 2014 @ 10:08 pm

Hey Laura. What sides do you suggest for these yummy drumsticks?

• Laura replied: — June 18th, 2014 @ 10:20 pm

I think sushi rice and some sort of stir fry, or roasted asparagus would be really good! :)

Bill @thewoksoflife — June 22, 2014 @ 10:49 am

Found this on Pinterest. Very creative selection of ingredients and the final results look terrific!

Ivy — June 23, 2014 @ 11:04 am

I made this tonight. I added a little garlic in the marinade. I could not find garlic flavored bean sauce. I used a spicy bean sauce. I also used both drumsticks and chicken breasts. It was FANTASTIC. My family loved it. Thank-you for sharing. I’ve made numerous recipes from pinterest. This one was the best chicken recipe I’ve tried.

• Laura replied: — June 26th, 2014 @ 4:44 pm

So happy to hear this Ivy! Thank you!! And great to know that a substitute worked as well. Thank you for leaving a comment and letting me know!

Michelle — July 26, 2014 @ 7:08 pm

I am in loooooovvvve! Can’t wait to make these. I love all things peanuts.

By the way – besides just steamed rice, what would be good to serve as side dish? I’m boring so a lot of times I just think of rice – or maybe even slightly dressed rice noodles. Thoughts?

Jen — July 29, 2014 @ 1:34 am

Michelle, I think a mango slaw and coconut rice would go great with these.

1. Pingback: Currently Crushing On. | How Sweet It Is