Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Crispy Goat Cheese

Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Crispy Goat Cheese

These past few weeks have been nuts. N-U-T-S.

I promise I will talk about these delicious stuffed portobello mushrooms in just a second, but I can’t help and share a little bit of what is going on in my world right now, because well…this blog is a reflection of all of it.

The good, bad, and the ugly.

Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Crispy Goat Cheese

Remember when I told you a few weeks ago that we were getting our engagement photos taken?

Well…that never happened. My life revolves around 10-day weather forecasts and precipitation percentages. The universe is either playing a really cruel joke on us or having major issues. It needs to get its act together.

Next Tuesday will be attempt number five.

Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Crispy Goat Cheese

I also decided (after three months of procrastination) to go full-force into wedding dress shopping, which means that I’ve gone to three different salons within the span of seven days.

We are in the throes of planning our honeymoon–which is about a million times more fun than the wedding planning part. And Connor will be living in three different cities for three out of the next four months.

So there’s that.

Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Crispy Goat Cheese

My brain literally feels like a pile of mush right now. For that reason, I’m really hoping these pictures do most of the talking for this dish…if you know what I mean.

Because if you asked me to describe these stuffed portobello mushrooms right now, I would be tempted to respond in grunts and caveman responses like, “this.good” or “ooh.goat.cheese.” And let’s be honest, even though both of those statements are true, I think you will disappear for good if I do.

Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Crispy Goat Cheese

The portobellos are lightly grilled and topped with a chunky homemade tomato sauce, sautéed spinach and shallot mixture, soft goat cheese, and topped with a hefty spoonful of crispy panko breadcrumb topping. The trick to the crispy topping is to lightly sauté the panko breadcrumbs with melted butter, finely chopped shallots, and garlic.

I could eat that stuff with a spoon!

With that being said, these portobello mushrooms are my kind of dinner. They are hearty enough to be served on their own with a simple salad or grain (such as quinoa or pasta!), or as a side dish. You could also serve them as a really messy, but amazing open-faced burger. This.so.good.

Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Crispy Goat Cheese

• 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
  • 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
  • 8 large portobello mushrooms, stems trimmed
  • olive oil
  • 4 ounces soft, young goat cheese

Prepare Sauce:

1. Using large saucepan, heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
  2. Once the oil is warm, add the chopped garlic, stirring continuously for 30 seconds, making sure that the garlic does not brown (this is essential). Add the bay leaves and the dried oregano to the pan and stir continuously for a minute.
  3. Add tomato paste and canned tomatoes, stir together, and bring to low simmer. Cover and simmer sauce for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Saute Spinach:

1. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the sliced shallots and sauté until soft and translucent.
  2. Add the baby spinach and sauté until just wilted, stirring continuously. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.

Breadcrumb Topping:

1. Melt the butter in a small sauté pan over medium heat. Once the butter is just beginning to sizzle, add the chopped shallots and cook for 30 seconds, stirring continuously.
  2. Add the panko breadcrumbs and chopped garlic, and toast for three to four minutes, stirring constantly to prevent the breadcrumbs from burning--or until the breadcrumbs should be lightly golden.

Prepare the Mushrooms:

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large baking sheet with foil and wire rack.
  2. Trim the portobello mushrooms and drizzle them lightly with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
  3. Heat a grill pan over high heat. Grill the portobello mushrooms for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Place the grilled portobello mushrooms gill-side up onto the wire rack as they are ready (the mushrooms will give off a lot of liquid as they cook and sit, and this will prevent them from sitting in any of their juices).
  4. Top the mushrooms with a large spoonful of tomato sauce and then top with spinach mixture, distributing it evenly among the mushrooms.
  5. Slice the goat cheese into 1/2" thick slices (roughly half an ounce). Bread the goat cheese slices lightly in the panko breadcrumb topping and place on top of each mushroom. Sprinkle the mushrooms with the remaining breadcrumb mixture.
  6. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until heated through and the breadcrumbs are golden brown and goat cheese is jut beginning to soften. Serve immediately.

To speed up the cooking process, feel free to substitute the homemade sauce with your favorite store-bought variety--but homemade is always best!

54 Responses to “Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Crispy Goat Cheese”

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — June 6, 2014 @ 7:11 am

There’s so much good about this! YUM!

• Laura replied: — June 7th, 2014 @ 1:04 pm

Thanks lady!

Heather || Heather's Dish — June 6, 2014 @ 8:07 am

Oh girl. I don’t envy anyone when they’re going through wedding planning – that’s certainly not where my strengths lie! I would eat my worries away with these mushrooms though, and the crispy goat cheese on top sound DIVINE!

• Laura replied: — June 7th, 2014 @ 1:04 pm

Haha! It is NOT where my strength lies either–thanks Heather! :)

Jennifer @ Seasons and Suppers — June 6, 2014 @ 8:36 am

This is just perfection on a plate! You definitely had me at crispy goat cheese :)

• Laura replied: — June 7th, 2014 @ 1:04 pm

What is it about crispy goat cheese?! I just can’t.

Tieghan — June 6, 2014 @ 8:38 am

Man, I hope try number five is the golden one! Things sound extra crazy and I hope is settles down soon for you! Until then, i would make all of these mushrooms you. The crispy cheese is the ultimate comfort!

• Laura replied: — June 7th, 2014 @ 1:05 pm

Thanks Tieghan! I hope so too! Crossing my fingers for Tuesday (the big day).

Mimi — June 6, 2014 @ 9:08 am

hmmm these look fabulous!!!

Carol Lundin — June 6, 2014 @ 9:12 am

I love the mushroom photo!
    Though, actually, all your photography is wonderful, not to mention the great recipes!

• Laura replied: — June 7th, 2014 @ 1:05 pm

Thank you so much Carol! Hope I can see you when I come out to San Fran in July!

pippa@popovertopippas — June 6, 2014 @ 9:23 am

I wish Brian didn’t have a strange dislike for portobellos because I want to make this for dinner!

• Laura replied: — June 7th, 2014 @ 1:04 pm

You need to do something about that…

Liz@Virtually Homemade — June 6, 2014 @ 9:59 am

Hang in there! These mushrooms are beautiful.

• Laura replied: — June 7th, 2014 @ 1:06 pm

Thanks Liz! :)

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — June 6, 2014 @ 12:39 pm

Hopefully #5 will be your lucky number on the photos. Just think you will look back at this in about 5 years and laugh about it all.

Now these shrooms look heavenly!

• Laura replied: — June 7th, 2014 @ 1:06 pm

GOOD point! :)

Mary Frances — June 6, 2014 @ 1:13 pm

Um, no kidding! All that wedding planning sounds tedious and time consuming. In a little while, it will be all worth it!
    Haha, I wish I made such amazing recipes while stressed! These mushrooms are so elegant, I would be proud to serve these at a party. The crispy goat cheese puts it over the top!

• Laura replied: — June 7th, 2014 @ 1:07 pm

It is! We haven’t gotten to the super tedious part, but it is definitely time consuming. Thanks so much!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — June 6, 2014 @ 1:37 pm

Major shroom fan, I’d inhale these babies! pinned :)

• Laura replied: — June 7th, 2014 @ 1:07 pm

Love, love, LOVE shrooms! Thanks Averie! :)

Katie @ Butterlust — June 6, 2014 @ 2:07 pm

no need for extra words – you had me at ‘crispy goat cheese’!! and you know what they say…5th time’s the charm (??) :)

• Laura replied: — June 7th, 2014 @ 1:08 pm

Haha! Is that the new saying? ;)

Farah @ The Cooking Jar — June 6, 2014 @ 2:14 pm

This looks so good. I wonder if a mix of fresh basil leaves would work too. As an aside. caveman grunt speaking is fun sometimes.

• Laura replied: — June 7th, 2014 @ 1:17 pm

Oh yes!! Basil would be amazing with these! Wish I had thought of that!

Elle — June 6, 2014 @ 2:22 pm

These look divine! I made my husband do most of the planning for our wedding, and all of the honeymoon. I highly recommend it. :)

• Laura replied: — June 7th, 2014 @ 1:09 pm

Haha! Thank goodness Connor is pretty involved–he has been more proactive in a lot of ways. It helps tremendously!

Norma | Allspice and Nutmeg — June 6, 2014 @ 3:07 pm

These pictures are certainly talking to me. Yummolicious! Pinned.

• Laura replied: — June 7th, 2014 @ 1:09 pm

Thanks, as always, Norma! :)

Kevin | keviniscooking — June 6, 2014 @ 3:19 pm

These look amazing Laura. Wow.

• Laura replied: — June 7th, 2014 @ 1:17 pm

Thanks so much Kevin!

Bri | Bites of Bri — June 6, 2014 @ 4:05 pm

These look sooo good and they seem like they’d be a great comfort food for when you’re feeling tired/frustrated/overwhelmed just plain crazy like we all feel sometimes. Good luck on Tuesday! Just think, you’re getting rid of all of the bad weather now before the big day.

• Laura replied: — June 7th, 2014 @ 1:12 pm

Yes!! Definitely comfort food (and light, relatively healthy comfort food). Thanks Bri! I hope we are getting rid of the bad weather! I’m sure I’ll be stalking the weather channel like woh next year…

Jessica @ Portuguese Girl Cooks — June 6, 2014 @ 9:11 pm

I hope things settle down for you soon. These look like the ultimate stuffed mushrooms!

• Laura replied: — June 7th, 2014 @ 1:12 pm

Thanks so much Jessica!

Jessica @ahappyfooddance — June 6, 2014 @ 10:07 pm

Toasted Goat Cheese + Portobello Mushrooms = Mind Blown… These look amazing! Hopefully the sixth time’s the charm for your engagement photos!

• Laura replied: — June 7th, 2014 @ 1:14 pm

Thanks girl! :) I’ll be sure to let everyone know!

cheri — June 6, 2014 @ 11:37 pm

What a lovely recipe, love mushrooms. Happy week-end!

• Laura replied: — June 7th, 2014 @ 1:16 pm

Thanks!!! You too!

Mary @ The Kitchen Paper — June 6, 2014 @ 11:37 pm

Ooooh yum. I pretty much eat goat cheese by the truckload (except in Vietnam where APPARENTLY PEOPLE HATE CHEESE WTF), so I can’t wait to try this next time I’m in the land of cheese!! Looks amazing!

• Laura replied: — June 7th, 2014 @ 1:14 pm

WHAT?! I can’t imagine a place where people hate cheese (that goes against my religion). Thanks Mary! Hope you are having an amazing time there! So inspiring.

Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche — June 7, 2014 @ 9:19 am

I love these! The combination of rich tomato sauce, creamy goat’s cheese and crunchy breadcrumbs just sounds AMAZING.

I just got married in April (I was going to say ‘a couple of weeks ago’ but omg it was nearly 2 months ago now!!) and let me tell you, the day itself is SO much more fun than the planning haha! Tbh I was really happy to get the planning over and done with! But it was so worth it :)

• Laura replied: — June 7th, 2014 @ 1:13 pm

How does time fly by so quickly?! It’s crazy, right? I feel like the months have disappeared so rapidly since we starting planning the wedding. Glad to hear it only gets better! :)

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — June 7, 2014 @ 5:50 pm

Ugh, I remember those crazy pre-wedding planning days… the good news is once the day is here all of that stress will melt away and hey, you’ll be hitched! ;) And ummmmm about these mushrooms… I want them. Nay, need them. All of them. Preferably ASAP.

DessertForTwo — June 7, 2014 @ 5:56 pm

Meh. Wedding dresses. I bought the 5th one I tried on. I couldn’t have cared less. I went for 1 fitting. I still liked it when I picked it up, so yeah. No biggie :)

Why is Connor living in so many cities?!

• Laura replied: — June 13th, 2014 @ 7:55 am

Excuse my late response!! He is going on away rotations for medical school–it increases the odds that he’ll match in those cities! :)

Also, your wedding dress story is awesome.

Helen @ Scrummy Lane — June 8, 2014 @ 7:27 am

I totally get how crazy life must be for you right now, Laura. I had a very similar year last year! It was good, and very exciting, but so so stressful and hectic at the same time. I’m sure you will deal with it all just fine, though, and learn a lot along the way! These mushrooms look like fabulous ‘take a moment to relax and eat something nice’ options! Love the idea of that messy open-faced burger!

whatjessicabakednext — June 8, 2014 @ 11:21 am

These mushrooms sound amazing, Laura! Love the goat’s cheese topping!

Christine @ Cooking with Cakes — June 9, 2014 @ 12:08 pm

I am not a mushroom person at all, but my god do these look AMAZING. seriously I wish I could put a fork through the screen and eat this, they look soooo freakin’ good!!!

Joanne — June 11, 2014 @ 8:20 pm

Wedding stuff somehow manages to swallow you whole. I speak from experience. Fingers crossed you got good weather, though it was totally gross here yesterday!!

I’m just coming around to ‘bellas but I’m pretty sure this stuffing would mask any and all fear of the shroom underneath!

Barbara — June 14, 2014 @ 7:04 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I made it today and it is absolutely delicious!!! The flavors, textures – incredible! I could go meatless with recipes like this…

• Laura replied: — June 15th, 2014 @ 10:27 pm

I’m so happy to hear this! Thanks so much for the feedback Barbara! :)

Kristen — June 30, 2014 @ 12:52 pm

I totally hope by the time I’m reading this you’ve had your pics taken??!! How frustrating!
    I LOVE this recipe (and yay for celebrity shout outs!!)

1. Pingback: Fun Five Friday