Butter Basted Flank Steak

Butter Basted Flank Steak | bloggingoverthyme.com

If you’re looking for a fast, flavorful dinner recipe, this is it!

Do you see those crispy, pan roasted garlic cloves up there? Get excited. Get very, very excited.

Let’s get to it…

Butter Basted Flank Steak | bloggingoverthyme.com

Connor and I are all about the easy, weeknight-friendly meals right now. Ok, to be honest, we’re always about those types of meals.

I’m sure you are too, especially when you don’t have a lot of spare time to spend in the kitchen after work or between whatever else is on your plate at any given time (no pun intended).

I love to spend more time in the kitchen on the weekend, but when it comes to the average weekday, it needs to be quick and dependable. We’ve been meeting with wedding vendors almost every evening these past two weeks, so this has become even more important to us lately.

Butter Basted Flank Steak | bloggingoverthyme.com

But with that said, sometimes you want a dish that is not only easy, but also a little bit special and faux-fancy (did I just invent a word?). Maybe you’re having a friend or a parent over for dinner, or maybe you just want to mix up your routine and impress a loved one.

Not only is this butter basted flank steak a little bit special (ok, it is about a million times more special than our normal weeknight dinner), it can also be prepared in less than 20 minutes.

That is less time than it takes for me to throw together some quesadillas, so that is saying something.

Butter Basted Flank Steak | bloggingoverthyme.com

One of my favorite cuts of meat is flank steak. It cooks extremely quickly (and actually requires to be cooked quickly and to medium-rare, otherwise it can easily get tough), has good flavor, and lends itself well to all sorts of flavor profiles.

The trick to having a juicy piece of flank steak in such a short amount of time (without having to marinade it, etc.) is to season it very well–salt and pepper are your friend–and add the flavor while you’re cooking it. Butter basting is perfect for this. It is actually how most proteins are cooked in restaurant kitchens!

You sear your meat in a hot pan, flip it, immediately add a generous amount of butter and aromatics (in this case, smashed garlic cloves and fresh thyme), tilt the pan just slightly, and literally spoon the bubbling, melted garlic-thyme infused butter over the steak repeatedly until done.

Weeknight (or weekend, since today is Friday!) cooking just got a lot more exciting…

Butter Basted Flank Steak

Yield: 2 Servings

• 10 ounces flank steak, trimmed (roughly 3/4" to 1" inch thick)
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
  • 6-7 sprigs of fresh thyme

1. Pat the trimmed steak completely dry and allow it to rest at room temperature for at least 20 minutes (this will prevent your pan from losing heat quickly and from "shocking" the meat).
  2. Season the steak on both sides with salt and pepper--be generous.
  3. Heat the olive oil in a cast-iron or heavy skillet over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, carefully place the flank steak in the pan and sear it for 4-5 minutes on one side, until the bottom is browned--do not move the steak at all.
  4. Flip the steak carefully, reduce the heat to medium, and add the butter, smashed garlic cloves, and fresh thyme to the pan immediately. Hold the pan handle with one hand (use a towel, as it will be hot) and tilt the pan slightly, use your other hand to spoon the melted, bubbling butter mixture over the steak repeatedly until it is cooked to medium-rare (note: cooking time will depend on the thickness of your steak--if your steak is 1" stick, a medium-rare cook time will be approximately 10 minutes).
  5. Remove the steak from the pan and allow it to rest on a cutting board for at least 5 minutes. Slice thinly against the grain and serve immediately. Top with the crispy smashed garlic cloves.

This butter basted steak goes well with just a simple salad on the side--but you can also bulk it up by serving it with roasted fingerling potatoes and sautéed greens or asparagus.

22 Responses to “Butter Basted Flank Steak”

Bri | Bites of Bri — June 27, 2014 @ 7:50 am

This sounds amazing and is perfect for those times when we aren’t do a marinade for flank steaks. They’re my favorite cut too!

Tieghan — June 27, 2014 @ 8:20 am

Sounds like the perfect meal for my family! Butter and steak–yeah, they will love it!

Mimi — June 27, 2014 @ 9:01 am

Beautiful! Flank steak is really a wonderful cut, and it is easy to prepare. Your presentation is stunning!

Meghan @ Cake 'n' Knife — June 27, 2014 @ 9:56 am

I feel the same way about weeknight cooking! I love taking time on the weekends to cook, but after a long day at work I want something quick and easy for dinner. Gorgeous photos – can’t wait to try this steak!

Liz@Virtually Homemade — June 27, 2014 @ 10:55 am

That is one good looking piece of meat! YUM :)

Matt Robinson — June 27, 2014 @ 12:35 pm

I love this steak Laura, it looks amazing!

Mary Frances — June 28, 2014 @ 8:09 am

A crazy week deserves a steak like this! I would’ve never guessed how easy it is. It pays off to read a chef’s blog! ;) You had me at butter blasted and even more so now that I know how it works. Thanks for sharing, Laura, here is to a happy, relaxed weekend!

Irene @ {a swoonful of sugar} — June 29, 2014 @ 1:14 am

Your pictures have won me over once again. Such buttery goodness and lovely herbs on a perfect steak. Yes please!

• Laura replied: — June 29th, 2014 @ 1:06 pm

Thanks Irene!!

Rachel Cooks — June 30, 2014 @ 2:25 pm

gorrrrrrrgeous! Looks like the perfect steak!

MB @ Bourbon and Brown Sugar — June 30, 2014 @ 3:07 pm

Such a gorgeous steak! And a perfect way to use the thyme in my garden… pinned!

Carol at Wild Goose Tea — June 30, 2014 @ 11:22 pm

I’m groovin’ with ‘faux fancy’ . I like it. Your photo really captured the succulence of the meat. Of course it’s almost 8:30 pm and I haven’t had dinner yet. But I am sure that I am not being influenced by that. Looks delish and it does look elegant also. Nice job.

Alexis @ Upside Down Pear — July 1, 2014 @ 4:16 pm

I am all about making my guests think I spent more time and effort than what it really took! Your “faux fancy” is a perfect way to describe this and I love how easy it is. I’ve never tried a flank stake before because I was always too worried about over cooking it, but this is too tempting to pass up!!

Amy | Club Narwhal — July 2, 2014 @ 11:48 am

Laura, my mouth is watering like crazy just LOOKING at this glorious steak! I love any steak but butter basted is by far my favorite. I’ve always been nervous to cook flank steak but I am definitely going to need to give this a try!

Ami@NaiveCookCooks — July 2, 2014 @ 7:51 pm

I am not a steak person but I must say your photography and that last pic are making my mouth water!

Joanne — July 3, 2014 @ 12:07 pm

I do not envy your meeting with wedding vendors…I am mostly on wedding planning hiatus at the moment and LOVING it. Just the sound of butter basting makes my heart happy. And sad. But mostly happy.

Jess @ whatjessicabakednext.com — July 5, 2014 @ 12:07 pm

This looks amazing! Love steak- so good, especially with these flavours.

meg — July 5, 2014 @ 3:16 pm

We grill flank steak a lot and I am intrigued by doing it this way. Thank you for sharing!

Millie l Add A Little — July 6, 2014 @ 3:27 am

Mmm this looks so tasty Laura! I would love to top this on a kale salad for a delicious summer meal!

Helen @ Scrummy Lane — July 6, 2014 @ 7:05 pm

This is a great recipe and, although simple, a bit different. I more than suspect my husband would be very grateful if I made him this!

1. Pingback: Currently Crushing On. | How Sweet It Is