Creamy Heirloom Tomato and Avocado Gazpacho

Creamy Heirloom Tomato and Avocado Gazpacho | bloggingoverthyme.com

This creamy heirloom tomato and avocado gazpacho makes me hungry, excited, and nolstagic all at the same time.

Hungry because I am a soup fanatic and could practically live off the stuff. Excited because nothing is as beautiful or as quintessentially summer as an heirloom tomato. And lastly, nostalgic because despite the fact that they continue to appear week after week in the grocery store and farmer’s market, I know they will soon disappear and not grace our presence again until next summer.

But maybe that is exactly what makes them so freaking fantastic, you know?

Creamy Heirloom Tomato and Avocado Gazpacho | bloggingoverthyme.com

If you were to have told me a year ago that I would be sharing a gazpacho recipe on the blog, I probably would have taken a good hard look at you and simply declared, “not a chance.”

I’m one of those weird people that simply has never enjoyed gazpacho. I love tomatoes, I love cucumbers, I love cold soups, I love essentially everything that is part and parcel of a traditional gazpacho, and yet I just…can’t.

Maybe it’s the texture? Or maybe I’m just a walking contradiction? Nothing about this makes any sense. I’m as stumped as you are.

Creamy Heirloom Tomato and Avocado Gazpacho | bloggingoverthyme.com

And yet, here I am–self-admitted gazpacho-hater–sharing a recipe for…gazpacho. Hear me out. This is not a traditional gazpacho recipe by any means (Spaniards are probably rolling in their graves at this one), but it is definitely grounded in tradition.

As it turns out, there are a few key ingredients, and one crucial adjustment, that turn a gazpacho-hater into a gazpacho-lover.

Creamy Heirloom Tomato and Avocado Gazpacho | bloggingoverthyme.com

Juicy, sweet, and yet perfectly acidic heirloom tomatoes is the most obvious of requirements. I love using a large variety of tomatoes, because they all lend their own unique flavor profile–some are sweeter and some are more tart.

The next is the addition of creamy avocado. The avocado lends just a touch of richness and body to the soup. I also prefer to puree the soup until it is smooth, as opposed to leaving it slightly chunky as I feel like this recipe does not lend itself as well to that preparation.

My next favorite component is fresh basil! Let’s face it, tomatoes and basil are meant to be together, and this soup is no exception to that rule. It adds something special to each spoonful.

Creamy Heirloom Tomato and Avocado Gazpacho | bloggingoverthyme.com

As you may notice in the recipe, this gazpacho also calls for fresh baby spinach leaves. This addition is mainly for enhancing the soup’s green color–depending on the variety and color of the tomatoes you use, the color of your soup may vary from mine. However, it will taste just as good either way!

Creamy Heirloom Tomato and Avocado Gazpacho

Yield: 4 First Course Servings (2 Main Course Servings)

• 1 lb heirloom tomatoes (various colors and varieties), cored and cut into large chunks
  • 1 small Persian cucumber, peeled and chopped (1/2 cup chopped cucumber)
  • 1 and 1/2 cups packed baby spinach leaves
  • 1 avocado, cored
  • 3/4 cup packed basil leaves
  • 1 and 1/2 garlic cloves, smashed
  • 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
  • 2-3 dashes hot sauce (optional)
  • 4-5 small ice cubes
  • pinch of sugar
  • salt
  • pepper
  • chopped tomato and cucumber, for garnish
  • extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling

1. Place tomatoes, cucumber, spinach, avocado, basil, garlic, red wine vinegar, lime juice, hot sauce (if using), and ice cubes in the blender. Puree until smooth.
  2. Add the sugar, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Pulse to combine.
  3. Serve immediately (add additional ice and adjust seasoning if not cold enough), or chill in a covered container in the refrigerator. Garnish with a drizzle of good quality extra virgin olive oil, and chopped tomato and cucumber. The gazpacho is best served the day it is prepared, but can hold in the fridge for an additional day.

Loosely inspired by Joe Yonan's Eat Your Vegetables.

43 Responses to “Creamy Heirloom Tomato and Avocado Gazpacho”

Bri | Bites of Bri — August 15, 2014 @ 7:27 am

This looks outstanding! I’m not a fan of gazpacho normally for all the reasons you named but I think I can get on board with this one. Loving the texture and color!

• Laura replied: — August 15th, 2014 @ 7:27 pm

I’m so surprised, it seems like so many people don’t like gazpacho–I thought I was the only one! :) Thanks Bri!

Erin | The Law Student's Wife — August 15, 2014 @ 7:37 am

Gazpacho is a recent love for me too, and I love the avocado to make it all luscious and creamy. GORGEOUS photos, by the. Be still my heart!

• Laura replied: — August 15th, 2014 @ 7:27 pm

Thank youuuu! Hope you have a great weekend Erin!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — August 15, 2014 @ 7:37 am

This makes me hungry, excited, and nolstagic too….I wish summer tomatoes would last forever. Love the recipe!

• Laura replied: — August 15th, 2014 @ 7:31 pm

Me too! Thanks Katrina!!

Tieghan — August 15, 2014 @ 8:20 am

Dude, this is gorgeous and you have officially made me want to try gazpacho! I am not a fan of cold soup, but this makes me want to be!

• Laura replied: — August 15th, 2014 @ 7:32 pm

Thanks Tieghan!! I’m pretty picky about cold soup too, I completely understand!

Janet @ Simply So Good — August 15, 2014 @ 9:21 am

Your photo’s are absolutely beautiful. Wonderful recipe.

• Laura replied: — August 15th, 2014 @ 7:32 pm

Thanks so much Janet!!

Simon — August 15, 2014 @ 9:33 am

Laura – fantastic recipe. We need to have this at home. Love the colour of these photos. Dad.

Taylor @ greens & chocolate — August 15, 2014 @ 9:56 am

Seriously beautiful pictures! I’m not a huge gazpacho fan either but yours is making me NEED a bowl…looks delicious!

• Laura replied: — August 15th, 2014 @ 7:33 pm

Thanks Taylor! So surprised to hear from so many other gazpacho-haters, ha!

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen — August 15, 2014 @ 11:07 am

First of all, these photos are stunning! Love the lighting. Also, I heart gazpacho, big time. Add avocado to the mix, and I’m totally over the moon for this soup!

• Laura replied: — August 15th, 2014 @ 7:36 pm

THANKS! :) I decided to go moody with these ones!

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — August 15, 2014 @ 11:28 am

This may be the most beautiful soup I’ve ever seen. Standing ovation, m’lady.

• Laura replied: — August 15th, 2014 @ 7:33 pm

Thank you sweet friend! <3

Molly @ Yes to Yolks — August 15, 2014 @ 11:40 am

OMG we’re having a twin moment. I just posted a gazpacho recipe yesterday and talked about how I have never been a gazpacho fan until very recently! This recipe looks like one I will definitely need to try soon. Heirloom tomatoes are one of the best treats all year.

• Laura replied: — August 15th, 2014 @ 12:43 pm

OMG! I just read your post–we literally talked about the EXACT same things. So hilarious!

Mom — August 15, 2014 @ 11:53 am

Absolutely beautiful! Looks like a table scene in Spain! I think i won’t make gazpacho tomorrow night for your birthday dinner now!

• Laura replied: — August 15th, 2014 @ 7:34 pm

OOPS!

Joyti — August 15, 2014 @ 1:06 pm

Your gazpacho sounds better than a traditional one to me too – I like that it’s creamy and rich and more substantial than the traditional. It sounds delicious, and yet perfect for warm summer weather :)

• Laura replied: — August 15th, 2014 @ 7:36 pm

Yes! Exactly. Thanks for visiting and for your comment Joyti!

Adrianna from A Cozy Kitchen — August 15, 2014 @ 1:33 pm

OMG these photos are so beautiful. And I barely like gazpacho but this just looks amazing.

• Laura replied: — August 15th, 2014 @ 7:34 pm

Thank you Adrianna!! Hope you have a great weekend!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — August 15, 2014 @ 2:34 pm

These images are mesmerizing! Laura, you are so talented!! Pinned!

• Laura replied: — August 15th, 2014 @ 6:23 pm

Thank you so, so much Averie! You are so sweet, and that means more than you know!

Nicole ~ Cooking for Keeps — August 15, 2014 @ 3:04 pm

Your photos are always stunning Laura, but these are just breathtaking, I’m constantly in awe of your raw talent! I, like you, have never been a fan of gazpacho, but I love the idea of using avocados to aid in a smoother, more palatable texture. Love love love.

• Laura replied: — August 15th, 2014 @ 7:35 pm

You are so kind, Nicole!!! Really means so much–I have to say, I think the heirloom tomatoes did most of the work for me, they are so photogenic! The avocado and basil definitely make this! It doesn’t taste like a typical gazpacho at all! :)

Thalia @ butter and brioche — August 15, 2014 @ 10:37 pm

looks delicious.. the colour of the gazpacho is amazing. never thought to make an heriloom tomato version before, definitely need to recreate the recipe!

• Laura replied: — August 16th, 2014 @ 10:45 pm

I love it with heirlooms because they are so much more multi-dimensional than regular tomatoes. And plus, the color is too pretty to pass up! :)

Nathalie C. | Devoted Foodie — August 16, 2014 @ 12:16 am

I’m pretty picky about my cold soups as well so I get it. This looks delicious and I’m loving all the ingredients and flavors you have going on in there. Beautiful picture as always!

• Laura replied: — August 16th, 2014 @ 10:44 pm

Thanks so much Nathalie! I’m totally picky about cold soups too! :)

Crystal | Apples & Sparkle — August 16, 2014 @ 6:29 am

Your photos are stunning! And I have to state the obvious and say that orange and red tomato has to be the purtiest tomato I’ve ever seen. I really love the idea of avocado in gazpacho, sounds like a perfect addition! : )

• Laura replied: — August 16th, 2014 @ 10:45 pm

I LOVE that one! (And I loved photographing it! Haha!). Thanks so much Crystal! Hope you’re having a great weekend!

Melanie | Melanie Makes — August 17, 2014 @ 5:17 pm

Laura, these photos are absolutely STUNNING.

• Laura replied: — August 17th, 2014 @ 11:17 pm

Thank you so much Melanie!!

Joanne — August 18, 2014 @ 7:19 am

I generally find myself not super into gazpacho either…and yet recently I’ve been craving it! The addition of basil definitely sounds pretty genius.

Jennie @themessybakerblog — August 18, 2014 @ 8:49 pm

Not only is this gazpacho stunning, but it sounds ridiculously delish. Must. Have. Gazpacho. Pinned.

• Laura replied: — August 19th, 2014 @ 9:24 pm

Thanks so much Jennie!

Jeff — September 10, 2014 @ 9:12 pm

Made this last night and it was really good. I served it with bread spread with herbed goat cheese, and dipped in the soup it was rather tasty.

• Laura replied: — September 10th, 2014 @ 10:38 pm

So happy to hear that Jeff! And I LOVE the sound of the herbed goat cheese bread to pair with it. If I can find heirloom tomatoes still, I’m definitely making it again and doing that. Thanks for the feedback!

1. Pingback: A Souper Summer | good for the soul