Plum and Ginger Muffins

Plum and Ginger Muffins | bloggingoverthyme.com

Remember that time when I shared this really decadent french toast recipe and yelled at you to roast your apricots? [Sorry about that.] Well, I’m having a similar feeling when it comes to these plum and ginger muffins. Baked, roasted, or even pan-roasted plums are the way to go.

If you’re like me, you’ve probably had mixed experiences with plums. Sometimes they are delicious and full of flavor and other times, they are watery and bland.

It is a hit-or-miss type of thing, and every summer seem to be a little bit different.

Plum and Ginger Muffins | bloggingoverthyme.com

Plum and Ginger Muffins | bloggingoverthyme.com

Luckily, there seem to be so many types of plums available (seriously, so many varieties!) that I’ve generally been able to find some good ones. On that note, if you’re looking for a consistently good plum, apriums–an apricot and plum hybrid–is always a favorite.

Either way, when you sauté even the worst plums in the world in a butter, honey, ginger mixture on the stove, and place them on top of light and fluffy muffin batter and proceed to bake them–you will have some pretty delicious plums.

I swear, roasting, or baking fruit is one of the world’s best kept secrets. It gets all wrinkly and concentrated in flavor, and the texture almost always improves.

Seriously works every time.

Plum and Ginger Muffins | bloggingoverthyme.com

One of the best accompaniments to plums that I’ve discovered recently is fresh ginger. In fact, I discovered it with these very muffins.

I’ve been on sort of a ginger kick lately (ginger lemonade to ginger ice cream to these spicy peanut ginger drumsticks–just to name a few!), but I loved it. On that note, I really hope you love ginger too.

It adds something special to these muffins–a freshness and hint of spiciness that can’t be beat. To up the ante, both fresh finely grated ginger root (both in the muffin batter, as well as added to the lightly sautéed plums) and ground ginger are included in the recipe.

Plum and Ginger Muffins | bloggingoverthyme.com

The actual muffin batter is a mixture of all-purpose and whole wheat flour, granulated and brown sugar, the typical leavenings, ground ginger, as well as a touch of cinnamon–and combined with melted butter, buttermilk, egg, and sour cream (a mere half cup!) produces a very light crumb, cake-y muffin that is ridiculously easy to snack on.

As you can imagine, these muffins taste best right out of the oven, when you can take a bite of the still warm and fragrant plum topping–but they can be stored at room temperature (well wrapped) for an additional 2 to 3 days.

Now if you don’t mind, I’m going to go back in the kitchen and roast all.the.fruit.

Plum and Ginger Muffins

• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1//4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 3/4 stick (6 tablespoons or 3 ounces) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 whole egg

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a standard muffin pan with baking cup liners. Set aside.
  2. Cut the plums in half, remove the pit, and slice each half into three equal segments. Place the one tablespoon of butter, one teaspoon of finely grated fresh ginger, and honey in a small skillet and heat over medium heat, stirring frequently, until bubbly and fragrant. Add the plum slices and stir gently over the heat for another 20-30 seconds. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, two teaspoons of grated ginger, ground cinnamon, and ground ginger.
  4. In a separate small bowl, combine the melted (and cooled) butter, buttermilk, sour cream, and egg, and whisk together well.
  5. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients, and fold together gently with a spatula. The batter will be relatively thick. Distribute the batter evenly in the muffin pan (this recipe will yield 11 muffins) with a scoop. Top  each muffin with two to three pieces of plum segments, pressing them just slightly into the batter.
  6. Bake the muffins at 350 degrees for 24-28 minutes, or until tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan on a rack of 5 minutes, and then remove from pan. Muffins are best served warm right after baking, but can hold in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 to 3 days.

Plum and Ginger Muffins | bloggingoverthyme.com

44 Responses to “Plum and Ginger Muffins”

Molly @ Yes to Yolks — August 19, 2014 @ 7:55 am

LOVE ginger in baked goods! I haven’t tried the plum-ginger combo yet. These look soooo good. Beautiful pictures, too!

• Laura replied: — August 19th, 2014 @ 9:24 pm

Thanks Molly! Sorry again for the butt email today, hahaha! Still laughing about that.

Jen @ Baked by an Introvert — August 19, 2014 @ 7:57 am

What a gorgeous recipe! Ginger and plum sound like a fantastic duo.

• Laura replied: — August 19th, 2014 @ 9:22 pm

They really are! I was so pleasantly surprised!

DessertForTwo — August 19, 2014 @ 8:00 am

Roast all the fruit! Yay! These muffins look insane!

• Laura replied: — August 19th, 2014 @ 9:22 pm

Yes! ALL the fruit. Thanks girl!

Sarah | The Sugar Hit — August 19, 2014 @ 8:07 am

I want to put this…in my mouth. With the butter? Yes.

• Laura replied: — August 19th, 2014 @ 9:21 pm

Hehe! On that note, I sort of wish I could again too!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — August 19, 2014 @ 8:09 am

You’re killing me with these muffins!!! I want one for breakfast sooooo bad! Love love love the flavour!

• Laura replied: — August 19th, 2014 @ 9:21 pm

Ahhhh, wish I could send you one! :) You deserve it!

MB @ Bourbon and Brown Sugar — August 19, 2014 @ 8:11 am

Gorgeous recipe! Thanks Laura…

• Laura replied: — August 19th, 2014 @ 9:21 pm

Thank YOU!

Tieghan — August 19, 2014 @ 8:39 am

I am so with you, roasted fruit is the best. Could not agree more! And these muffins! I am always afraid to use ginger in anything sweet because I was literally bread to think that all sweets need to be chocolate and mixed with nothing like ginger, but I am dying to try these muffins! They look awesome!

• Laura replied: — August 19th, 2014 @ 9:20 pm

You have to try it! OR make something with chocolate AND ginger–it is a great combination actually. Thanks Tieghan!

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — August 19, 2014 @ 9:37 am

At first I was all, “Oooo, roasted plums!” But then I was all, “Oooo, ginger!” and then I was all, “Oooo, buttered warm muffin!” So yeah. Basically I love all the things about these. :)

• Laura replied: — August 19th, 2014 @ 9:20 pm

I’m totally a fan of this entire reaction :) Thanks Steph!

pippa@popovertopippas — August 19, 2014 @ 10:54 am

at least I got to sample it this time!

• Laura replied: — August 19th, 2014 @ 9:20 pm

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen — August 19, 2014 @ 11:44 am

I’ve been finding the best plums lately. Thanks for giving me a reason to stock up :) Also, please come to NYC and teach me how to take beautiful, moody photos like this. Pretty please.

• Laura replied: — August 19th, 2014 @ 9:19 pm

I’ve been lucky to find some awesome ones this summer too! And of course, I’d love to come to NYC to visit you! I actually am coming up the last weekend in September already!

Lindsey | Cafe Johnsonia — August 19, 2014 @ 11:46 am

I’m going to run to my kitchen and make these right now! I just got some gorgeous plums from the farmers market and I was trying to decide what to make. These are simply gorgeous!

• Laura replied: — August 19th, 2014 @ 9:18 pm

Yay! Let me know if you tried them–and how they turned out!

sue/the view from great island — August 19, 2014 @ 1:28 pm

I think it’s magical they way plums transform when you roast them, these muffins sound like my ideal end of summer breakfast!!

• Laura replied: — August 19th, 2014 @ 9:14 pm

I love it! Honestly, just the sauteed plums were delicious on their own–I think I may make some more to have on yogurt! :)

Crystal | Apples & Sparkle — August 19, 2014 @ 2:22 pm

That butter ginger plum combo = mind blowing, sounds amazing! These muffins look delicious. : )

• Laura replied: — August 19th, 2014 @ 9:13 pm

Thanks girl! :)

ashley - baker by nature — August 19, 2014 @ 2:27 pm

I LOVE (love love love) plum and ginger! These muffins are a MUST!!!

• Laura replied: — August 19th, 2014 @ 9:13 pm

Ooooh! So intrigued to know what else you’ve made (or eaten) with plum and ginger now.

Erin | The Law Student's Wife — August 19, 2014 @ 4:31 pm

I have a roasted plum obsession this summer. Too hot for the oven? Put on your swim suit and grab a popsicle and deal. WORTH IT! Love your buttery saute approach too. No discrimination :)

• Laura replied: — August 19th, 2014 @ 9:13 pm

I hear ya–and couldn’t agree more! If you can’t handle the heat…get out of the kitchen! :) Thanks Erin!

CakePants — August 19, 2014 @ 6:19 pm

Mmm…I love the plum/ginger combinations – it’s so fragrant and delicious! These muffins look *fantastic*. I agree with you that summer fruit can be a real hit-or-miss kinda thing – but that’s probably what helps us truly appreciate the good fruit, right?

• Laura replied: — August 19th, 2014 @ 9:11 pm

Truer words have never been spoken :)

Nicole ~ Cooking for Keeps — August 20, 2014 @ 10:24 am

Never in my life cooked with plums, no idea why!! But if this is what it looks like, I’m in! And I can’t wait to try the plum/ginger combo, how have I not had this either?

Amy | Club Narwhal — August 20, 2014 @ 1:46 pm

Laura, I’m pretty sure you just saved my bag of sorry plums from becoming compost! This looks like the perfect way to bring them to life. Love the ginger here, too!

Kelly @ Trial and Eater — August 20, 2014 @ 2:09 pm

These look a-ma-zing and I need these in my life. Never thought of baking with plums!

Norma | Allspice and Nutmeg — August 20, 2014 @ 5:43 pm

I love cooked plums and the addition of ginger – love that. Pinned.

Katie @ Butterlust — August 20, 2014 @ 6:14 pm

oh mah goodness, I made an almost identical plum conserve last week only mine went over ginger quinoa pudding. amen to roasting them!! in addition to the amped up flavor, the color gets so vibrant and beautiful!! so so so so so good!!

Joanne — August 21, 2014 @ 11:01 pm

So basically roasting ALL THE FRUIT is pretty much the answer to all of life’s problems. I concur. I am SO on a plum kick and absolutely love the sound of these!

Jessica @ Sweet Menu — August 25, 2014 @ 6:19 pm

What beautiful muffins, I just love the gorgeous slices of plum poking out the top. Divine!

• Laura replied: — August 25th, 2014 @ 10:04 pm

Thanks so much Jessica!

Petra — September 23, 2014 @ 5:37 am

How many ingredients?!?!? OMG!!

Mylene — September 24, 2014 @ 12:30 pm

Can I substitute sour cream for yogurt? Thanks!

• Laura replied: — September 24th, 2014 @ 12:36 pm

Hi Mylene! I think a full-fat Greek yogurt could work, but I haven’t personally tried it before with yogurt so it is hard to say for sure! Please report back and let me know!

1. Pingback: Friday Faves