Farmers Market Hash with Poached Eggs

Farmer's Market Hash with Poached Eggs | blogggingoverthyme.com

Sometimes the best dishes come together at the most unexpected times. When you’re least expecting it, when you barely have anything in the fridge and just have to throw something together, or when you are simply…not thinking about it. This farmers’ market hash is one of those dishes.

Not thinking can be such a great thing. I’m totally guilty of over-thinking most things in life (to the nth degree). Hello! Wedding planning!

When you spend close to four hours (ok, more like seven) trying to figure out what type and size pots and pans to register for, you know you have a serious problem.

Farmer's Market Hash with Poached Eggs | blogggingoverthyme.com

But there is one area of my life where I consider myself to be a relatively successful ‘non-thinker’.

Food and cooking. I’m not gonna lie, food blogging has definitely made this a little bit more difficult. It is really easy to want to add one.more.thing to practically every dish that comes out of my kitchen (and makes itself onto this site). This can be a great thing, because sometimes it really is just that one little extra thing that takes a dish from good to great.

It has made me a more creative cook in so many ways!

Farmer's Market Hash with Poached Eggs | blogggingoverthyme.com

But for the most part, I really just strive to make yummy food without the frills, and just the teeniest amount of flair. Food that makes me want to do a happy dance all over my little apartment. And more importantly, food that will hopefully make you want to do a happy dance all over your home!

That is always (and will forever be) my end goal. I definitely fall off the bandwagon every now and then, but I hope that is how you feel when you take the time to visit this site (and for that, I pretty much love your guts).

And if you get inspired to get in the kitchen and make your own version of a dish, well, that’s even better.

Farmer's Market Hash with Poached Eggs | blogggingoverthyme.com

Woh, who knew hash could bring out all the mushy love stuff?!?

Hash tends to have that effect on me (and I’m pretty sure, most people). Throw together a skillet of crispy potatoes full of farmers’ market veggies (in this case, green beans, tomatoes, fresh corn, and mini sweet peppers), top it with perfectly runny poached eggs, and I guarantee that people will love you just a little bit more.

There are heavier, meatier hashes (like this one) and lighter, summer-y hashes. This dish is definitely the latter. It is hearty enough to fill you up for hours, but not food-coma inducing either.

Farmer's Market Hash with Poached Eggs | blogggingoverthyme.com

If you can’t find mini sweet peppers, feel free to substitute with chopped bell peppers, cubanelle, or even poblano peppers (just remember, poblanos can vary in spiciness and the seeds should be removed prior to cooking).

Oh yeah, and remember that basil oil recipe I shared the other day? You’re going to want to drizzle the extras all over this. Cheese isn’t a bad idea either!

Farmers Market Hash with Poached Eggs

Yield: 2 Servings (easily doubled or tripled)

• 3 tablespoons grape seed or canola oil, seperated
  • 12 ounces (3/4 lb) red new potatoes
  • 3 ounces (1/4 lb) green beans, sliced into 1" lengths (roughly 3/4 cup)
  • 1 ounce (6-7 whole) mini sweet peppers, stems removed
  • 1 ear of corn, stripped of kernels
  • 1/2 cup (1/4 lb) grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
  • 2 medium garlic cloves, finely minced
  • 4 whole eggs
  • basil oil, for drizzling (recipe here)
  • good-quality parmesan cheese (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Chop the potatoes (leave the skin on) into 1/2" chunks, and pat them lightly with a paper towel or clean kitchen towel to remove any excess starch. Heat the 2 tablespoons of oil in a large, cast-iron skillet (10-inch) over medium-high heat. Sauté the  potatoes, tossing frequently, until golden brown on all sides.  Season with salt and pepper and set aside in a bowl.
  3. Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil to the skillet, and add the green beans and mini sweet peppers. Sauté over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until charred slightly. Add the corn kernels and tomatoes and saute for an addition 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the garlic, and sauté for an additional minute or until fragrant. Season hash to taste with salt and pepper. Using a spatula or spoon, distribute the hash evenly in the pan in one layer.
  4. Place the skillet in the oven and bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
  5. Meanwhile, fill a large skillet with several inches of water, salt heavily, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat so that that the water is barely simmering (small bubbles are visible on the bottom of the pan).
  6. Crack the eggs, one at a time, into a small sieve set over a bowl. Discard the loose egg whites that drain into the bowl--and place the eggs carefully into small ramekins. Tip the eggs gently into the simmering water. Using a slotted spoon, gently make sure they are not sticking to the bottom of the pan. Cook them, turning them once, for 3-4 minutes, or until the whites are cooked through and the yolk is soft to touch. Drain them on a paper-towel lined plate.
  7. Remove the hash from the oven, distribute it evenly among plates, top the hash with the poached eggs and drizzle with basil oil. If you're feeling extra decadent, top it with microplaned Parmesan cheese. Eat up!

Since the hash is cooked all the way through on the stove, you can skip the oven step in this recipe, but I love that it helps brown all the vegetables evenly (it helps make them a little bit more crispy) and keep the hash warm and out of the way while you prepare the eggs!

Farmer's Market Hash with Poached Eggs | blogggingoverthyme.com

29 Responses to “Farmers Market Hash with Poached Eggs”

Bri | Bites of Bri — August 26, 2014 @ 7:05 am

I’m soooo guilty of overthinking everything! Replaying conversations, overthinking menu orders, everything! I’m glad you didn’t overthink this because it looks delish. I’m still left wondering what you ended up registering for!? I love hearing those details :)

• Laura replied: — August 27th, 2014 @ 7:36 am

Oh my gosh–don’t even get me near a menu! It is the worst! Pre-fixes are awesome for that reason alone.

I’m thinking about writing a wish list registry post! Or at least…trying to get everyone’s input!

Lindsay @ The Live-In Kitchen — August 26, 2014 @ 8:26 am

Beautiful Laura!

• Laura replied: — August 27th, 2014 @ 7:35 am

Thanks so much Lindsay!

Rachel — August 26, 2014 @ 9:07 am

Ahh this looks so tasty. I want to make it for lunch. Too bad I can’t have runny yolks while I’m preggers. This might have to wait until next summer…

Could you clarify #4? You say bake at 425 or until golden brown. How long did you bake it for? (Also #1 says preheat to 450)

• Laura replied: — August 26th, 2014 @ 9:11 am

Oh my gosh–thank you for catching that! I have fixed and updated the recipe. It should be 425 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes! Hope that helps! Also-you could definitely eat this with soft scrambled eggs on the side! :)

CakePants — August 26, 2014 @ 9:42 am

What a great way to use up a bunch of veggies! This looks fantastic, and that basil oil…wow! Definitely going to try this sometime soon :)

• Laura replied: — August 27th, 2014 @ 7:36 am

Basil oil is so easy and I’ve literally been putting it on everything! :)

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — August 26, 2014 @ 1:39 pm

This is the type of breakfast that I could totally dive into this weekend. Love a great farmers market recipe.

• Laura replied: — August 27th, 2014 @ 7:37 am

Thanks so much Meagan!!

pippa@popovertopippas — August 26, 2014 @ 2:24 pm

looks delicious.

Graham @ Glazed & Confused — August 26, 2014 @ 4:25 pm

stopppp! this looks so crazy delicious.
    all of those veggies, yes please

so glad i stumbled upon your blog. everything is so beautiful and i’m pretty sure the drool dribbling down from the corner of my mouth is a sign that your blog is INSANE.

• Laura replied: — August 27th, 2014 @ 7:37 am

Hahaha! Thank you SO much–that really means a lot Graham! :)

Jennifer @ Seasons and Suppers — August 26, 2014 @ 5:07 pm

This is simply perfect, Laura!

• Laura replied: — August 26th, 2014 @ 5:40 pm

Thanks so much Jennifer!

Medha @ Whisk & Shout — August 26, 2014 @ 5:55 pm

Oh my god yum! This is such an ideal lazy Saturday breakfast and I FINALLY bought a cast iron skillet :)

• Laura replied: — August 27th, 2014 @ 7:38 am

Oh yay!! Aren’t they the best? I literally make almost everything in them–try pizza, it works so well.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — August 26, 2014 @ 5:56 pm

I need this in my life pronto! Holy delicious!

• Laura replied: — August 27th, 2014 @ 7:37 am

Jennifer Farley — August 26, 2014 @ 6:02 pm

Hash is such a brilliant way to use farmers market ingredients. I remember those registry days! Williams-Sonoma has a little scanner you can run around the store with that automatically adds stuff to the registry as you scan. I am embarrassed how nuts I went.

• Laura replied: — August 27th, 2014 @ 7:39 am

I DID THAT! Last weekeend…I also went to Crate & Barrel. I kept thinking, “wow, this is amazing. it is like shopping without having to pay the bill” :)

Mom — August 26, 2014 @ 6:12 pm

I want this for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! Looks gorgeous and delicious and healthy! Wow!

Joyti — August 26, 2014 @ 9:16 pm

I am a hugely over-thinking/over-worrying type myself, so I totally, completely understand and sympathize. I kinda like that way, it gives us a certain gravitas, don’t you think? Or am I just fooling myself?

Anyways, the farmer market’s hash looks great – so perfect for summer.

• Laura replied: — August 27th, 2014 @ 7:39 am

Glad to hear I’m not alone in that! Yes, I would like to think so too! :) Although…it is annoying sometimes, haha.

Thanks so much Joyti!

Simone — August 27, 2014 @ 2:56 am

I’m a big big fan of dishes like that, so bring on the love! Looks delicious!

• Laura replied: — August 27th, 2014 @ 7:39 am

Thanks Simone! :)

Amy | Club Narwhal — August 27, 2014 @ 1:34 pm

Oh, goodness, this looks like such a gorgeous and simple meal! I also am an over thinker (true story, when I was wedding planning, I once spent 3 hours looking at different colored table cloths online before settling on white–the color I had pretty much decided before looking at so many options :) After that incident, we made a motto for all wedding planning: make a decision and stick with it. Served us well!)

Nicole ~ Cooking for Keeps — August 27, 2014 @ 8:30 pm

If hash is on a menu at a restaurant, I’m getting it. There’s just something about it that I can’t resist. I can go for heavier or lighter, but I have to say this lighter version is sounding awfully delicious Laura!

1. Pingback: Fun Five Friday