Brown Butter Banana Ice Cream

Brown Butter Banana Ice Cream | bloggingoverthyme.com

You know how people talk about having pregnancy brain? Well, I’m pretty sure I have an equally as debilitating condition known as ‘wedding brain.’

It causes you to do things like photograph entire recipes without a memory card in your camera (just happened a few days ago), and attempt to lick self-sealing envelopes (happened yesterday). I also forgot a close family member’s last name when I was editing our guest list this past weekend.

So, there’s that.

Brown Butter Banana Ice Cream | bloggingoverthyme.com

Oh yeah, and this is a little embarrassing, but you know those microfiber cloths that come with steam mops? Well, I had one hanging in my bathroom the other day and I accidentally almost put it on my head instead of a turbie twist. [And yes, I totally use a turbie twist. Judge me.]

Is this normal? Please tell me it is! I’m beginning to worry and I’m still more than six months out.

Thankfully, I still had some of this brown butter banana ice cream left in the freezer when both of these things happened. Ice cream is perfect for these situations.

Brown Butter Banana Ice Cream | bloggingoverthyme.com

And this particular ice cream is even more comforting.

This recipe is a twist on The Craft of Baking’s brown butter ice cream. Honestly, when I first glanced at the ingredient list, I was a little shell-shocked. An entire stick of butter? Not to mention egg yolks, heavy cream, and whole milk.

I’m all for rich desserts, but even this sounded a little over the top to me.

Brown Butter Banana Ice Cream | bloggingoverthyme.com

Though this ice cream is definitely rich–I can’t deny that–it is not nearly as decadent as it first appears. The brown butter is simply a flavoring agent, and used to help infuse the milk, cream, and sugar mixture with that signature nutty and caramelized flavor that it is so well known for.

After this mixture is refrigerated overnight, you simply strain out any of the cold, browned butter solids, and discard them. This infused milk mixture is the base for the ice cream custard.

I’m not gonna lie, I’m still a little saddened at the idea of throwing away perfectly good brown butter–so feel free to reserve them, melt them, and use them in some other way! [Brown butter banana bread for a friend?]

Brown Butter Banana Ice Cream | bloggingoverthyme.com

I mean, brown butter, creamy banana, vanilla bean seeds, ice cream.

What’s not to like about this?

Brown Butter Banana Ice Cream

Yield: ~ 1 Pint

Prep Time: 16 hours

Total Time: 16 hours inactive time; 20 minutes active time

• 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1 and 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 4 large egg yolks
  • 1/2 vanilla bean, scraped
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 ripe bananas, mashed

1. Place the butter in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until butter is dark brown and very fragrant (it should have a caramelized, nutty smell)--don't worry if there are some burnt butter solids on the bottom of the pan. Allow the butter to cool for 5 to 10 minutes, and then whisk in the heavy cream followed by the milk.
  2. Place mixture in a large container, cover, and refrigerate and allow browned butter to infuse in the cream overnight.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and 1/4 cup of sugar vigorously with a stiff whisk until pale yellow in color--otherwise known as the ribbon stage.
  4. Stir the chilled milk mixture with a spoon, scraping the bottom and sides of the pan to remove any large chilled butter pieces. Strain the mixture through a fine-meshed sieve into a medium saucepan--discard the solid butter pieces (or alternatively, use for another baked good recipe). Add the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and the scraped vanilla bean seeds. Place the mixture over medium-high heat and bring to a full boil--remove from the heat immmediately.
  5. Temper the egg yolk mixture with the hot milk, whisking until combined. Add the salt and mix well.
  6. Place the custard in a clean container and allow it to chill completely in the fridge. Once chilled, stir in the mashed bananas and refrigerate overnight, or minimum 6-8 hours.
  7. Freeze the ice cream mixture in an ice cream maker, according to the manufacturer's instructions. Serve immediately (if you prefer a softer, froyo texture, or place in an airtight container and freeze for at least 2-3 additional hours to firm the ice cream. Cover the surface of the ice cream with plastic wrap to prevent ice crystals  from forming.

Ice cream can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 5 days.

Adapted from The Craft of Baking's Brown Butter Ice Cream. Available for purchase here.

39 Responses to “Brown Butter Banana Ice Cream”

Bri | Bites of Bri — August 28, 2014 @ 7:37 am

With that ingredient list…I mean, seriously this looks dangerously amazingly good! I use a turbie twist too. Love those things!

• Laura replied: — August 28th, 2014 @ 7:40 am

YES! So glad to hear I’m not alone in that! :)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — August 28, 2014 @ 7:59 am

Ha! I feel you on the wedding brain. I’m just getting back to normal three weeks post wedding! Ice cream helps…especially with brown butter.

• Laura replied: — August 28th, 2014 @ 7:46 pm

Jealous!! I’m definitely looking forward to the big day, but I must admit, I’m also looking forward to normal non-wedding planning life.

Tieghan — August 28, 2014 @ 8:08 am

Well, I know nothing about wedding brain, but this ingredient list sure doesn’t scare me. No, more like I LOVE IT! This ice cream is just awesome!

• Laura replied: — August 28th, 2014 @ 7:49 pm

I didn’t know it was a thing either! It’s nuts, I swear. Thanks so much Tieghan!

Sues — August 28, 2014 @ 8:19 am

Um I love that you almost wore a mop as a hair twist! And yes, I totally remember wedding brain and know several people who currently have it. But if wedding brain is causing you to come up with creations like this ice cream, then I think it’s a VERY good thing!!

• Laura replied: — August 28th, 2014 @ 7:48 pm

I’m the first of most of my close friends to get married, so I really had no clue (and my sisters didn’t relay this info, haha!) this happened. I feel so forgetful!! It’s nuts!

Thanks Sues!

Nicole ~ Cooking for Keeps — August 28, 2014 @ 8:46 am

Definitely normal. Wedding planning makes everyone CRAZY! And I agree, thank goodness there’s sweet treats like these to make it all better!

• Laura replied: — August 28th, 2014 @ 7:51 pm

Thank YOU for telling me that. I can’t even imagine how bad it will be a month prior! Or a week prior–ahhh! I’m freaking out just thinking about it.

Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) — August 28, 2014 @ 9:08 am

Ok so I can’t even imagine how delicious this ice cream is! The brown butter is already life changing but with the banana in a creamy vehicle, I can’t even stand it!

• Laura replied: — August 28th, 2014 @ 11:39 pm

Thanks so much Jocelyn!

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen — August 28, 2014 @ 9:51 am

This is pretty much the ice cream of my dreams! I mean, bananas + brown butter. This would last about 5 minutes around me. Also, turbie twists are totally the best. How else are you supposed to shower without getting your hair wet?!

• Laura replied: — August 28th, 2014 @ 11:39 pm

You use it as a shower cap? Never thought of that! I just use mine to make my hair dry faster AFTER the shower, haha!

Liz@Virtually Homemade — August 28, 2014 @ 9:51 am

That ice cream is amazing! I swear I can almost taste it through the screen :)

Meghan @ Cake 'n' Knife — August 28, 2014 @ 10:00 am

Brown butter and banana?! Ummmm YES!

Liz @ Floating Kitchen — August 28, 2014 @ 10:41 am

Ice cream fixes everything! Especially this one – whoa! Like a banana foster in ice cream form. I’m sold!

• Laura replied: — August 28th, 2014 @ 8:52 pm

Oh yeah!!! Good call!

Medha @ Whisk & Shout — August 28, 2014 @ 2:57 pm

Brown butter in ice cream?! I die. This looks amazing :)

• Laura replied: — August 28th, 2014 @ 8:04 pm

Thanks, as always, Medha!

Carley Biblin — August 28, 2014 @ 3:02 pm

Oh. My. Sweet. Goodness. In my house we call butter “love.” When we say it is made with love, we mean it was made with butter. Any recipe with butter automatically moves to the top of my to-do list, especially ice cream. Have you tried flavors other than banana? I would love to experiment with brown butter ice cream as a base.

• Laura replied: — August 28th, 2014 @ 8:02 pm

I totally agree with that saying! So true, butter makes the world go round. I haven’t tried this one with other flavors besides banana, but I think it would be great with any berries, peaches, and probably chocolate too! I think the trick is not to pick something so strong in flavor that it overpowers the brown butter flavor, and it is lost. Hope this helps!

Lyndsay — August 28, 2014 @ 3:17 pm

I totally use a turbie twist too! Love it, and this beautiful recipe!

• Laura replied: — August 28th, 2014 @ 7:56 pm

Haha!!! Thanks Lyndsay!

CakePants — August 28, 2014 @ 5:38 pm

This sounds like a truly delightful combination of flavors! I don’t even have a big upcoming event like a wedding to blame my scatter-brained actions on….it’s all me, haha!

• Laura replied: — August 29th, 2014 @ 8:10 am

Honestly, it could just be me?! Haha!

Ambar — August 28, 2014 @ 10:47 pm

Ugh. I have wedding brain too! Wedding planning can be so crazy!

• Laura replied: — August 28th, 2014 @ 11:33 pm

YES and YES!

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — August 29, 2014 @ 12:15 pm

Looks delicious Laura!! I don’t mind the richness at all. Ice cream is meant to be treat ;) And that’s exactly what this looks like!!

Monet — August 30, 2014 @ 12:17 am

Oh girl, I so remember feeling that way! You just have too much on your mind right now! This brown butter ice cream is a great way to cope though. Looks delicious!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — August 30, 2014 @ 12:16 pm

Wow, this looks like THE MOST heavenly tasting ice cream on the planet! pinned!!

• Laura replied: — August 30th, 2014 @ 10:32 pm

Thanks so much Averie!!! :)

ATasteOfMadness — August 31, 2014 @ 2:46 pm

This sounds so freaking amazing! I need to be making more ice cream before summer is over!

Joanne — September 1, 2014 @ 5:47 pm

Well I can’t even tell you how many names I misspelled on our wedding invitations, so there’s that. I’m voting it is DEFINITELY a real thing!

But so long as I can still remember to inhale this ice cream? I think all is okay in the world.

• Laura replied: — September 1st, 2014 @ 11:35 pm

Oh god, haven’t gotten to the invitations just yet. I did mess up about 10 envelope’s worth of invitations for the Save the Dates though–I really thought there would be more though!

1. Pingback: Currently Crushing On. | How Sweet It Is