Thursday, May 23rd, 2013
1) I recently subscribed to Saveur magazine and the first issue that arrived in my mailbox was all about Neapolitan pizza. Guess which restaurant was highlighted as a must-visit in Naples? Gino Sorbillo, of course.
2) Loved the New Yorker’s ”Making Money” series feature last week, which was all about NYC’s produce vendors. Definitely something I’ve always been curious about!
3) Randomly discovered interior designer, Urban Grace‘s makeover of a common ping-pong table. I don’t see myself ever owning one, but if I did, I would totally paint it this way. Classiest ping-pong table ever.
4) I don’t really read blogs through RSS readers (I prefer to visit the website and get the full design experience)…but since Google Reader is meeting its demise in a few months, I’ve been looking for a quasi-replacement. Feedly is a great alternative and allows you to import all your current RSS feeds with one click!
5) If you’re not following Benjamin Hole on Instagram, you’re missing out! Absolutely breathtaking peeks into the life of an English farmer.
6) The epitome of summer on one plate (Nicole Franzen photography).
7) Cannot wait for peaches to arrive at the farmer’s market so I can have an excuse to make this pie again. Yum!
Thursday, May 16th, 2013
After going back and forth with thinking about whether or not to post the new series randomly throughout the week, I’ve decided to officially name the new series “Thursday Tidbits”. Is that cool? Ok, good. Here’s what I’m loving this week!
1) I’m a sucker for anything vintage or retro–and I recently discovered these porcelain ice cream containers from Anthropologie, which totally fit into that look. Ridiculously overpriced? Yes, but it would be pretty awesome gift paired with a copy of Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams cookbook.
2) This Spring Quiche with Butternut Squash, Feta, and Peas (from Desserts for Breakfast blog) looks pretty incredible. All of those ingredients work so well together–definitely reminds me of my favorite locro dish.
3) This knock-off DIY tablet holder, made from an old cutting board, is pretty genius. I would probably be lazy and not bother to paint it, but it sounds like a fun, easy project. Now, I just need to set aside time to do it.
4) In the last two weeks, I finally got around to making Jim Lahey’s famous no-knead bread! I’ve made it twice so far and I’m a huge fan (I prefer substituting a half cup of AP flour with whole wheat–it gives it a bit more dimension, but retains that great crust typical of 100% white flour breads, without it being too brittle). I don’t think it’s as flavorful as my previous go-to boule recipe–but it frees up space in the fridge and is a bit easier to throw together, which I sort of love.
5) My parents are heading off to California this week to attend my oldest sister’s grad school graduation and we’re cat-sitting their incredibly large, ridiculous, and highly amusing rescue cat, Smokey, while they are gone. Even though I’m pretty sure Smokey could care less about hanging out with our cat, Max, it’s pretty adorable when I force them to interact with one another. On a daily basis.